Contact Point - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-12-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
country flag Chrs2088

Chrs2088 is on a distinguished road
Default Contact Point

Many people have told me that you should strive have a consistent contact point, so you contac the ball at the same point in your stroke each shot. If this is true, then how can you hit crosscourt vs. down the line? Isn't hitting crosscourt opening up earlier and therefore hitting earlier in the stroke?
Chrs2088 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
country flag Chrs2088

Chrs2088 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Contact Point

anyone?
Chrs2088 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i have no idea
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
country flag Ultraman

Ultraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond repute

The US Professional Tennis Association has some good free video clips on how to hit various strokes. You might find them helpful:

http://uspta.com/index.cfm/MenuItemID/1266.htm

Last edited by Ultraman : 01-12-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Ultraman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The contact point stays in the same location, your follow through with respect to your shoulders directs the ball. Having the contact point in the same position does not restrict your ability to direct the ball, rather, what everyone is telling you is that you should find that right spot in front (or to the side) of you where it is effortless to change your shoulders and direct the shot. It takes a lot of practice.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about the setup...getting your body in the right position...and follow through. Some might say you're telegraphing your reply...but in the heat of an exchange...few are sharp enough to even bother. No one's got a slo-mo button...in real time.

Keep at it!!
Angle Queen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
country flag Leena
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Leena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's all the setup. Don't purposely try to hit the ball earlier.

That fast serve drill gave me chills...

I understand the point... but he's fixing one thing, and screwing up a bunch of others.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

your contact point is always in front. always move into the ball. this is true regardless of what direction you're trying to hit.

the position of your legs and shoulders is what helps you direct the ball crosscourt (shoulders more open; closed or open stance) or down-the-line (left shoulder in front for a right-hander).

the advantage to taking the ball earlier is that you gain some time on your opponent and get back the ball to him/her faster. the timing of the shot has nothing to do with the direction in which you hit it.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
tennis4you

tennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond reputetennis4you has a reputation beyond repute

always in front eh?

Moving forward is a great way to hit the ball if the option is there, it will not always be there.

I agree with the shoulders though. I try to keep mine turned until the last minute to try not too give too much away (where I am going to hit the shot)

Also where your racquet strikes the ball. Directly on rear face, slightly on the outside, those will also help determine where the ball is going to go.
tennis4you is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:36 AM   #10
country flag The

The has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond reputeThe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4you
always in front eh?

Moving forward is a great way to hit the ball if the option is there, it will not always be there.

I agree with the shoulders though. I try to keep mine turned until the last minute to try not too give too much away (where I am going to hit the shot)

Also where your racquet strikes the ball. Directly on rear face, slightly on the outside, those will also help determine where the ball is going to go.
Yeah, the contact point and soulder turn should be the same on crosscourt or down the line, its where you brush up on the ball that makes the difference. For example, to hit cross court you aim to strike a little towards the right side of the ball, if you want to go inside out you aim a little left of center. If controlled correctly this will give the ball the necessary curve and spin to pass opponents from the baseline and be more precise on the groundstrokes, but the contact point and soulder turn should not be any different because if you open up your soulders too early you
a) interfere with power generation during the stroke
b) increase likelihood that the ball will be framed.
The is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote