Nadal: 'The ATP worries too little about the players' - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Nadal: 'The ATP worries too little about the players'

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.URuNY_JZOft

SAO PAULO -- Rafael Nadal criticized the ATP on Tuesday for not doing enough to protect players' health, saying the increase in hard-court events will lead to long-term injuries that will affect players after they retire.

"The ATP worries too little about the players," said Nadal, who was in Brazil to play his second tournament after a seven-month layoff from a left-knee injury. "It should care more for them."

The 11-time Grand Slam winner said he doesn't expect major changes anytime soon, but thinks it's time tennis officials consider ways to improve the players' long-term health.

"For future generations, it would be good to see a less aggressive tennis life," he said. "Not only because of what happens during your career, but also because of what happens after your career, about how is your body when your tennis career is over."

Nadal said because of the way he's played tennis, it's unlikely he'll be a recreational athlete after his professional career.

"After ending the career it would be nice to be able to play football with friends or tennis," he said. "But with this surface, I don't think it's going to be possible."

The 26-year-old Nadal said hard courts were "too tough" on players' bodies and made it difficult to avoid injuries. Tennis is the only major sport where players have to play on cement, said the greatest clay-court player of the Open era.

"This is not a subject for the players, it's a matter for doctors," he said. "The ATP has to start thinking about ways to lengthen the players' careers. I can't imagine football players playing on cement, I can't imagine any other sport involving aggressive movements such as tennis being played on such aggressive surfaces such as ours. We are the only sport in the world making this mistake, and it won't change."

Nadal also complained about the tour's attempt to strictly enforce the 25-second rule between serves, saying it will not benefit the sport.

"People like to see great rallies, long matches, and for that to happen, the 25 seconds are not enough," he said. "If the ATP wants a sport which is faster but doesn't take into consideration a lot of strategy or great rallies, then it's right doing this. I think the players in the locker rooms are not very happy with that rule."

Nadal, who lost in the final of his first comeback tournament in Chile last week, said he wasn't worried about wins and his main focus is to regain rhythm on the court.

"I need time, I need weeks of matches and practice," he said. "I'm not prepared to think about titles yet, I'm thinking day-to-day. After so many months without playing, it's hard to think about titles."

Nadal said he's still feeling pain in his knee, but it's getting better.

"There are days in which it hurts and it limits me physically, but there are days when it's better," he said. "During the bad days it's complicated. But it's positive because a month ago maybe 80 percent of the days were bad, now it's 70 percent of the days and next week or within a month it will probably be 50 percent."

Nadal dismissed changing his style to try to extend his career.

"I'm not that good to be able to reprogram my style, I only have one, it's virtually impossible to change it," he said. "I'm confident that my body will hold up. I'm not sure it will happen next week, or next year, but I'm confident that it will be like before again."

He said he wants to be fully fit to play at the 2016 Rio Olympics, which he acknowledged likely will be his last.

"Playing in 2016 is a long-term goal, but it's very real," he said. "I will be working daily to make sure I can play in 2016 and play well."

Nadal plays doubles on Tuesday and singles on Thursday.
Johnbert is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'The ATP worries too little about the players'

Just replace all cement courts with cushion carpet then.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

So hardcourts should now disappear because
1) the fans want it
2) the little players ( he doesnt mean Rochus does he?) need it

Enough has been said about this already, I just hoped he could be honest about it, instead of pretending he's some kind of good Samaritan. I would respect that.

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"
Jverweij is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal keeps surprising me with such words. He does have a point though, ATP should worry more about the players. Speeding up the courts will make rallies shorter, therefore the game less physical, thusly players will not be in danger anymore. Nadal probably wants Indoor Clay or something.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

Yuck. Heard enough from Nadal to last me a few weeks. It seems like a thread gets started for every word he says lately.
Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Nadal keeps surprising me with such words. He does have a point though, ATP should worry more about the players. Speeding up the courts will make rallies shorter, therefore the game less physical, thusly players will not be in danger anymore. Nadal probably wants Indoor Clay or something.
Hmmm...... Don't know why but I have a feeling that's not what nadal wants. I think what nadal wants instead of speeding up the courts is more clay tournaments, shorter season, 2 year ranking and maybe RG to award 10000 rankings points to the winner.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
country flag MinioNole

MinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond repute

God, he strikes again.
MinioNole is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

wondering how much time will spend till somebody spits at nadal's face in the public
samanosuke is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbert View Post

"The ATP worries too little about the players*," said Nadal, who was in Brazil to play his second tournament after a seven-month layoff from a left-knee injury. "It should care more for them*."
*me

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

1 year, 7 weeks as Top 10 and counting
M T F
Mega-Tsonga-Fandom
don't like Tsonga? move along, it's propaganda here.

Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
RG to award 10000 rankings points to the winner.
10k? Why not 100k? With a two year ranking, that would be awesome.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

there's already a long stupid trolling thread starting from the same interview :

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=229706
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motoflou View Post
Yuck. Heard enough from Nadal to last me a few weeks. It seems like a thread gets started for every word he says lately.
This.

Nadal: 'The ATP worries too little about the players'
Some more gentle comedy from Nadal....."25-second rule will harm the fans"
"Djokovic is lucky, give me two years without injury and...": Nadal

We should make a general Rafael Nadal's whining thread.

afterglows is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Next thread - Nadal: "I really need the toilet"

Discussions please
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbert View Post
"People like to see great rallies, long matches, and for that to happen, the 25 seconds are not enough," he said. "If the ATP wants a sport which is faster but doesn't take into consideration a lot of strategy or great rallies, then it's right doing this. I think the players in the locker rooms are not very happy with that rule."
Timewasting strategy
niff is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is a modern day martyr with the way he selflessly champions all the other players. First he fought tirelessly for the 2 year ranking system and now this

Last edited by Hypnotize : 02-13-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Hypnotize is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote