Federers future - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federers future

This wimbledon marks the 10 year anniversary of federer so it has some added meaning to the drama going in.

Im excited but sad at the same time. Last year may have been the last time federer could have beaten nadal on grass since he was serving very well and since has decompensated because of the back.

Wimbledon will reveal if there is anything left in the fed-nadal rivalry. If fed had to pick a venue playing nadal at a slam event in 2013 with the conditions that exist he would pick wimbledon, quarterfinals arguably being better for him with the grass in better condition than say the finals. Also, nadal may not be at his most comfortable at that point. So if this were an outdoor wimbledon final in 2013 i would say nadal in 3 sets pretty easy given his comfort at that point of the tournament, the court conditions (borderline clay court), and fed being maybe tired with a hard semi before the final.

The quarters will at the least give fed fresher grass, less chance of fatigue, and perhaps a less confident nadal as that would be his 5th match vs 9th match this season on grass. Even then I would give federer a set at most.

The only way federer has a chance to win this match is if it rains and there is a roof for the match which eliminates the elements, adds humidity making the ball bounce lower and i believe the court is sliplier due to more moisture and thus less defense can be played on it. Even here fed would have to close it out in the 4 sets as he will lose if it goes to a 5th at this point in his career.

The sad part is, if fed cannot beat nadal on grass at the quarterfinal stage in what most likely will be an outdoor match not only does it mark the end of the rivalry between these two it ultimately marks fed ever beating nadal at a slam again and then fed will have to hope nadal and him are ranked 3 and 4 and someone else takes out nadal in the future. 10 year anniversary could be the final nail in the coffin for the fed-nadal rivalry and its a sad realization but that is the life of sports.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federers future

Whatever happens, happens. I just hope we see a good match between them that's competitive, at least semi-resembling their great matches here in the past.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Fed fans are being too pessimistic. Fed is still formidable on grass and if his serve is on, there's very little Nadal can do. I don't expect an easy match for either player (if the match actually happens).
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your position as a Fed fan, but why being sad and negative. Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy Fed's success, the fact that he is still playing well, that he is still top 4 player. If I were his fan, my attitude would be 'anything big that Fed wins atm is just a bonus' .

nobody expected him to win Wimbledon last year, and he did spanking prime Djokovic and prime Murray. not bad for 'an old man'.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
country flag Tiebreak100

Tiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
I understand your position as a Fed fan, but why being sad and negative. Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy Fed's success, the fact that he is still playing well, that he is still top 4 player. If I were his fan, my attitude would be 'anything big that Fed wins atm is just a bonus' .

nobody expected him to win Wimbledon last year, and he did spanking prime Djokovic and prime Murray. not bad for 'an old man'.
Federer described his performance in the final last year as one of his best ever. So prime Rog won Wimbledon.
Tiebreak100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
Federer described his performance in the final last year as one of his best ever. So prime Rog won Wimbledon.

no one in any sport except maybe fighting and golf is at their prime when they are past 30.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
I think Fed fans are being too pessimistic. Fed is still formidable on grass and if his serve is on, there's very little Nadal can do.

Quote:
I don't expect an easy match for either player (if the match actually happens).

That sounds more reasonable to me.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is going to take Fraudal and his BF to school in QF and Semi.

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports

Arjen Robben ... Soccer's version of ATP's biggest faker!
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
country flag FedvsNole

fed having a thrilling match with nadal where he is very competitive is all i would like to see. I just dont want fed getting thrashed in straights at wimbledon which im not sure has ever happened since 2003.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedvsNole View Post
fed having a thrilling match with nadal where he is very competitive is all i would like to see. I just dont want fed getting thrashed in straights at wimbledon which im not sure has ever happened since 2003.
Certainly didn't happen in 2003. You're thinking of 2002.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
country flag MarkChan
Banned!

MarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond repute

I really like your analysis even though you are a fan of Federer.
The only pt that I want to correct is that Federer would probably lose if it is a 5 set match due to fatigue/at this point of his career.
I think it is more like a confidence issue here. Because of being beaten by Nadal again and again he didn't have that confidence to sneak out the win when facing Nadal if the game is tight even if this kind of match took place few years ago.

I think the possibilities in descending order are:
Nadal in 4 > Nadal in 3> Federer in 4> Nadal in 5

Federer in 3 or 5 are very slim.
MarkChan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fed is still formidable on grass and if his serve is on, there's very little Nadal can do.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe should have phrased that better! If Fed is serving aces and service winners then the match comes down to a few points here and there - Nadal doesn't have a lot of control. Once a baseline rally starts then of course it's advantage Nadal. Now Serverer doesn't make an appearance as often these days and asking him to stick around for 3 sets is a lot but if he does turn up, then it becomes much tougher for Nadal.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
country flag MarkChan
Banned!

MarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post

That sounds more reasonable to me.
If Federer's serve is on when against Nadal, it means he can at least hold his service game only but Federer would still find immense difficulty of breaking Nadal's serve(probably would find himself in a difficult situation when coming to the baseline game).
It'd probably go into the tie-breaker for 2-3 sets.
MarkChan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

This is the second half of the year. Roger is only coming alive now. I sense too much negativity from Fedfans who should know by now that Fed should never be underestimated. You are the same kind of person who wrote him off before 2012, and then he had an immense year. It's only natural that he needed time to recover from 2012 at his age. He had a long break now. The clay season was never gonna be where he shines. Now he has already won Halle. If anything you should be optimistic. The last place he can be counted out is Wimbledon.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote