2013 and Nadal's unbeatable aura on clay - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 and Nadal's unbeatable aura on clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Remember Clay season of 2010? When everyone said Soderling exposed his weakness to 'big hitters', figured out Rafa on clay and broke through the unbeatable aura? Refresh my memory, did Nadal lose a match on clay that year?
That was 3 years ago
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
That was 3 years ago
So? Did Nadal forget how to play tennis in three years? Forget three years, 8 months ago when he butchered everyone on clay?

All he needs to do is get healthy (maybe he already is) and start finding his rhythm and he'll be fine.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So? Did Nadal forget how to play tennis in three years? Forget three years, 8 months ago when he butchered everyone on clay?

All he needs to do is get healthy (maybe he already is) and start finding his rhythm and he'll be fine.
Ofc not, but he is getting older, and he is very injury-prone. This will only get worse with time, you know that as well as I do. I don't expect him to lose many matches on clay, and still see him as the favourite for RG, but this was an unexpected loss.

I agree with you about him seeming to move cautiously and it looking abit awkward though. Either he will relax more and it will disappear, or he's hurting seriously again, and he is in trouble. Hope it's the former.

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
Ofc not, but he is getting older, and he is very injury-prone. This will only get worse with time, you know that as well as I do. I don't expect him to lose many matches on clay, and still see him as the favourite for RG, but this was an unexpected loss.

I agree with you about him seeming to move cautiously and it looking abit awkward though. Either he will relax more and it will disappear, or he's hurting seriously again, and he is in trouble. Hope it's the former.

Quote:
"The knee is still bothering me, but you have to face adversity with the best possible face and look forward to keep working and enjoy what I like the most, to play tennis."
So it still bothers him, let's hope it'll go away with time

Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Time between RG final and Wimbledon R1 was even shorter. Anyway, every season is a new season, we'll see how this one unfolds.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I still keep wondering are you just plain stupid or blind? 3 years is a massive amount of time for professional athletes, something like 1/3 or 1/4 of their whole career.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Time between RG final and Wimbledon R2 was even shorter. Anyway, every season is a new season, we'll see how this one unfolds.
That's why I said if he's healthy. Add to that that Wimbledon isn't clay.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa just strategically tanked the final so the top players think he's not going to walk all over them during the clay season.

Then it'll hurt extra bad when he does.
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
I still keep wondering are you just plain stupid or blind? 3 years is a massive amount of time for professional athletes, something like 1/3 or 1/4 of their whole career.
3 years shouldn't matter much when you're 23-24 at the start. You don't experience much physical drop off due to age in that time. If the knee is healthy, his physical condition should be fine, and he won't have lost his tennis skills.

And when I see the beatdown he put on everyone just last season, I don't worry too much.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmindbulgaria View Post
So one can't be critical without getting labelled a 'hater' ?

You must not like free speech. :-/
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
country flag GSMnadal

To get back on 'players now believing they can beat Rafa on clay'. I don't see it that way. Yes, Zeballos just beat him. What does that tell you? That Zeballos can beat Nadal on clay, not whether you'll be able to do it.

I think you don't get that confidence from another man's loss, but from yourself playing great (Zeballos had a great run leading up to this match). When Almagro plays Rafa next time, what do you think he'll be thinking about? The 8 times Nadal owned him or that one time Nadal lost to Zeballos? You don't get confidence from what others are able to achieve, but from what you do yourself.

Look at Nadal in 2011, Federer beat Djokovic at RG, did that give Nadal back his confidence in matches against Novak? No, he went on to lose Wimbledon, US Open and the Australian Open before snapping that streak himself in Monte Carlo, which then gave him the belief in Rome and RG.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the reason his movement looks awkward is because Rafa is cautious and isn't comfortable putting weight on that knee yet. It doesn't necessarily mean he's still injured (could be of course, we don't know how it feels), but it does indicate he's been out for 7-8 months with a severe knee injury and isn't in prime condition yet.
I agree with you. He didn´t look that self-confident on his movements. Probably was precaution or needs to feel confidence with that knee again. That is going to be the key of his comeback. His tennis is not 100% there yet but I think is only a matter of time. As long as he can feel that his knee is ok he will find his confidence back.

This is still early to see how he will perform on hard courts but I´m not sure if that will be a good idea for him to play in Indian Wells and Key Biscayne. Probably he might need to find his confidence back on clay events until Roland Garros and as things may get better return back to hard court events in the spring of US/Canada MS.

Will see how things develop.
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

In Novak's mind he would be beatable even if be beat Zeballos. Also in few other players' minds. But for most of the tour he still won't be, especially for Monaco, Almagro & co.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
In Novak's mind he would be beatable even if be beat Zeballos. Also in few other players' minds. But for most of the tour he still won't be, especially for Monaco, Almagro & co.
Novak believed Nadal was beatable at RG 2008 right after he got his ass handed to him

That just showed again that it doesn't really matter if you believe you can beat him, if he reaches his level it's over. Belief comes into play when Nadal is paying like crap.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Novak believed Nadal was beatable at RG 2008 right after he got his ass handed to him

That just showed again that it doesn't really matter if you believe you can beat him, if he reaches his level it's over. Belief comes into play when Nadal is paying like crap.
Well, sure. If Rafa finds his top clay form, he'll be unstoppable. But the belief come into play when the match gets tight (regardless of if it's due to Nadal playing worse or opponent playing lights out). Novak will beat him if given the chance, but most of the tour will choke and crumble, even if they are playing better than him on that given day. But, tbf, I think a few more players (like headcases and bashers and such) will believe that they can beat him now (maybe even Pics ), when he's back from injury, than like 2-3 years ago. 2-3 years ago only Novak believed he can beat him Still, that 'few' are really few, 95% of the tour still doesn't believe (or if they do now, when they face him, they'll start questioning themselves, especially if it's in a big match).