Best football league in the world? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Best League?

La Liga (Spain) 5 13.89%
Premier League (England) 18 50.00%
Bundesliga (Germany) 8 22.22%
Serie A (Italy) 3 8.33%
Ligue 1 (France) 0 0%
Other (Please specify) 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #46
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best football league in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzac View Post
If we are basing it on European competitions then recently the Spanish teams have been the best, as they are top of the UEFA Coefficiency rankings, and had 5/8 semi finalists last season. And if you look this season, then so far it's the Bundesliga that has been the best. The EPL was the best a few years a go, but the tide has turned.

It just annoys me when people say that the Premier League is the best without any real explaination. Makes me think that they've been caught up with the SkySports propaganda (Lets face it, they don't own the Bundesliga rights so they aren't going to promote that league at all. SkySports probs see Arsenal as favourites against Bayern ).

If you think the EPL is the best then fine, but please explain yourselves, so us that don't think it's the best see where your coming from, and why you think that is so.
The Premier League is the best marketed league. The product is so well marketed that casuals buy it. Also it being an English-speaking league/media means it tends to have more clout in countries like the US, Australia, Canada and the foreign imports have definitely helped enhance it (England's own players are poor by comparison). One thing the Prem does to great effect is the TV deal which is fair and all clubs get the same payments.

It's not the best quality league though for sure not at the moment maybe 2006-2009 it was but right now the Bundesliga's teams are doing the best in Europe with all German clubs still involved, the football has evolved in a decade from boring and robotic to technical, dynamic attacking play and the fan experience/ticket prices win out over England easily. Soon, the Bundesliga will be the most marketable league given the direction it is going in.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #47
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Also expanding on my last post, can we really say that the Bundesliga is the best league in the world when in the past 10 years, its teams have won exactly 0 European trophies. Also in those last 10 years, the only appearances by Bundesliga teams in European finals have been Werder Bremen in the 2009 UEFA Cup and Bayern in the 2010 and 2012 Champions Leagues (and Fiorentina were completely robbed against Bayern in 2010).

To be fair those finals have all come in the last 5 years, plus in that time Schalke reached the 2011 Champions League semi-final and Hamburg reached the last 4 of the UEFA Cup in 2009 and 2010. So European results are improving.

And of course they have done great this year with 3 teams topping their groups and reaching the knockout stages (though Mönchengladbach lost in the qualifying round), and 3 teams left in the Europa League.

Still I think it would take more consistently strong results by Bundesliga teams in the European competitions, not to mention the odd title here and there, before it can be labelled the best league in the world. I do think it will be one day, but it isn’t yet.

In terms of excitement and infrastructure it does blow both the EPL and La Liga out of the water though.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #48
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I would say that 4 different EPL teams playing in Champions League finals in recent years, compared to 2 different Serie A teams, only 1 different La Liga and also only 1 different Bundesliga team, is a very strong argument though. In 7 out of the last 8 years, there has been EPL representation in the Champions League final.

Spain’s top coefficient cannot be argued with it, but the last time a Liga team outside Barcelona and Real Madrid played in a Champions League semi-final was Villarreal in 2006, which is a relative weakness. Real Madrid’s failure to reach a single final in the past 10 years despite all their world class players and the money they’ve consistently spent is also a weakness. Basically an amazing Barcelona team has almost single-handedly carried La Liga in the Champions League. The overall UEFA Cup results by La Liga teams have been incredibly impressive, but the runs by Middlesbrough and Fulham in that competition also showcase the EPL’s depth.

In the past 8 seasons, 6 different EPL teams have played in a European final (Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Middlesbrough and Fulham), compared to 5 different La Liga teams (Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, Sevilla, Espanyol and Athletic Bilbao), 2 different Bundesliga teams (Bayern and Werder Bremen) and 2 different Serie A teams (Milan and Inter).

It would not surprise me at all if in a few years the Bundesliga is the dominant league in Europe and has left La Liga and the EPL trailing behind. The fact that Germany has so relatively few professional football clubs compared to England, Italy etc despite having a population of nearly 82 million is a big inherent advantage though. When you look further down beyond the Bundesliga 2, it's scary to see how many lower league teams in Germany have become insolvent over the past decade.

I do think that if La Liga was run properly and had at least a reasonably fair TV deal in place, it would have blown all other leagues out of the water in recent years.
I understand what you are saying, but most of those PL results came at a time when the Premier League was the best. 2006-2009, the EPL was the best league in the world, i'm not denying that. But over the past few years the league has declined. Their teams are not doing as well in Europe, the excitement is down, and so is the quality of football. People will point out that an english team won the champions league, but lets face it, Chelsea were VERY LUCKY to win last season. You got to put a cap on how far back you go when discussing this tbh. A lot of things change in 8 years, so i think 4 is more of a reasonable time scale to go back on. I don't know if that still produces the best results for the PL, but i think what happened 8 years a go is not too relevent due to the changes the elagues have made over the years.

Also, you got to factor in that the Bundesliga was undergoing a period of growth during that period. The league had recently been revamped, and it was trying to get out of the state it was in at the time. Now it's reeking the benefits, and is only getting bigger. The EPL needs to follow the same model imo.

Del Potro-Nishikori-Brands-Paire-Wawrinka-Sampras-Llodra-Safin-Falla
nazzac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #49
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Their teams are not doing as well in Europe
2010 QF
2011 Finalists
2012 Winners

Compared to:
Spain:
2010: SF
2011: Winners
2012: SF

Italy:
2010: Winners
2011: QF
2012: QF

Germany:
2010: Finalists
2011: SF
2012: Finalists

Done better than Italy and German leagues since 2009. Done about the same as Spain. The reason why it doesn't sound that impressive because it doesn't match the standard set by all the English teams during 2006-2009. But once you view it comparatively to other teams the English teams are about equal with Spain and better than the rest.

''not doing as well''

Seems legit.

Last edited by GOAT = Fed : 02-13-2013 at 05:20 PM.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #50
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond repute

12/13 so far
England: GS,GS,16 GW,16 GRU
Spain: 16 GW,16 GW,16 GRU,16 GRU
Germany: QR,16 GW,16 GW,16 GW

11/12
England: GS,GS,16,W
Spain: GS,GS,SF,SF
Germany: GS,16,F

10/11
England: 16,QF,QF,F
Spain: QR,16,SF,W
Germany: GS,16,SF

09/10
England: GS,16,QF,QF
Spain: GS,16,16,SF
Germany: GS,16,F

08/09
England: QF,SF,SF,F
Spain: 16,16,QF,W
Germany: QR,GS,QF

Seems to me like the Overall performance of English teams is getting worse. And then you look at the Europa League, where the English clubs haven't done all that well recently and then you'll see that Spain has the best record in Europe recently

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #51
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Who seriously cares about the Europa League aside from the Spaniards?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #52
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

La Liga is let down by the inequal TV deals and almost SPL-like dominance of the big two.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #53
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
this the Iberians, same with super coppa in Monaco

its like the South Americans and the world club trophy
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #54
country flag nazzac

Quote:
Everyone but the British teams

Thats just Arrogance from British teams. Thinking they are too good for the Europa League. It's going to bite them in the ass when Germany moves ahead of them in UEFA's league rankings

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #55
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

La Liga has 2 great teams, 1-2 good ones, the rest is crap. EPL has 1 or 2 great teams and about 4-5 good teams, the rest is happy not to relegate. Serie A has 6-7 good teams, but the rest of the pack is more competitive. The Bundesliga has 1 or 2 great teams, 2 or 3 good ones but the rest is pretty decent as well. So it depends on what do you understand as "best". My favourite is the Bundesliga.

(and the Brasileirăo, of course)

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #56
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

here is another reason for EPL

which teams in other leagues can be bottom of 20 team league and have players like Julio Cesar, Loic Remy, Bosingwa, Ji sung Park, Granero, Samba (12,000,000 signing)

in Romania they would be league champions
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #57
country flag nazzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
here is another reason for EPL

which teams in other leagues can be bottom of 20 team league and have players like Julio Cesar, Loic Remy, Bosingwa, Ji sung Park, Granero, Samba (12,000,000 signing)

in Romania they would be league champions
There's one reason for that...

It's the same thing that will bite the PL in the ass once FFP comes in. And just because they pay big wages and transfer fee's for these players, it doesn't make them any better than the home grown players and cheap players that play at the bottom of other leagues.

And, good players doesn't always = Good teams.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #58
Banned!

QPR are beyond shit.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #59
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone but the British teams

Thats just Arrogance from British teams. Thinking they are too good for the Europa League. It's going to bite them in the ass when Germany moves ahead of them in UEFA's league rankings
You're just throwing pointless ideas into the argument. The co-efficients of the leagues don't matter beyond the fact that they allocate Champions League places to each country based on it. Let's face it, England is no danger whatsoever of losing its fourth UCL place, so the co-efficients don't matter to us.

With regards to the Europa League, I'm sure teams would take it more seriously if matches were played on a Tuesday or Wednesday rather than a Thursday for a start.

And what would a team like Chelsea gain from going far in the Europa League? Absolutely nothing. They're better off without it, as are most teams.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #60
country flag nazzac

Quote:
You're just throwing pointless ideas into the argument. The co-efficients of the leagues don't matter beyond the fact that they allocate Champions League places to each country based on it. Let's face it, England is no danger whatsoever of losing its fourth UCL place, so the co-efficients don't matter to us.

With regards to the Europa League, I'm sure teams would take it more seriously if matches were played on a Tuesday or Wednesday rather than a Thursday for a start.

And what would a team like Chelsea gain from going far in the Europa League? Absolutely nothing. They're better off without it, as are most teams.
Fair point about Co-effeciencies.

On your 2nd point, It's the same for every foreign team in the Europa league. It's not just English teams that have to play on a Thursday. Yet they take it more seriously, so why can't English teams. It's a complete lack of respect from England.

A team like Chelsea would gain a trophy. Would you rather finish a season trophyless or win the Europa League? And what about clubs like Newcastle, and Liverpool who are mid table PL sides. It should be a great oppertunity for them to get a trophy beating some good teams along the way. IMO, the Europa League winner should get a Champions League spot, as should the FA Cup winner. Teams are more focussed about finishing 4th now, than winning trophys which is a massive shame (and that applies everywhere and not just the PL btw)

Here's what i don't like about the English league.

- The style. It's just hoofball most of the time, and i don't like it. Some teams can play decent stuff, but overall the standard of football is terrible.

- The money. The PL is all about money. It's a business and not a sport. Overpaid players, the tickets are a rip off etc... I can go see Dortmund for a cheaper price than Conference Sides.

- The fans. English fans are not very good compared to the rest of Europe, especially with the top teams. Whenever a foreign club comes to England their fans always outsing English fans, despite being outnumbered 10-1. Type Dortmund fans in Manchester into Youtube for a really good example.

- Expanding on fans, Their complete lack of respect to anything that is not English. They refuse to accept that anything that is not from this country is better, Especially when it's to do with Germany. "2 World Wars 1 world cup". What a load of crap, it's really pathetic. I've been called a Nazi for supporting Dortmund and following German football. "Yeah, but they are German, they are Nazis" etc... Holding one generation responsible for another generations actions and then bringing it into something completely irrelevant as football is pathetic, but frequently found in England.

More Examples:

"Foreign players can't handle the Premier League"- Mata and Silva have been world beaters since coming over, and they weren't 'world class' in La Liga

"[Insert Foreign League is crap]"- Yet they have never watched a game from that league.

"Could Messi do it in a cold rainy night in Stoke"

Also, this assumption that so many have that English sides are the favourites every single game they play except Barca/Madrid/Bayern. Man City v Dortmund, so many were expecting a routine Man City win, but what happened was Dortmund dominating City and being unlucky not to win.

- The Sky Marketing campaign. Fail to recognise anything that is not English. "The PL is the best league in the world" and all that stuff. Whats worse is that most peoples opinions are based on what they say.

- This crap about is being the most exciting league in the world, when other leagues have had more title winners, average more goals, and have had more teams competing for European places.

I could go on...