Best football league in the world? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Best League?

La Liga (Spain) 5 13.89%
Premier League (England) 18 50.00%
Bundesliga (Germany) 8 22.22%
Serie A (Italy) 3 8.33%
Ligue 1 (France) 0 0%
Other (Please specify) 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #16
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best football league in the world?

the EPL is the biggest worldwide product and most exciting league

league has also produced 3 different teams winning chps Lge since 2005 which is quite amazing.
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

La Liga by far

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #18
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

The one whose players are most adept at diving.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #19
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Bundesliga ticks the most boxes.

The quality of football is very good, but when you factor in the crowds, the fan support and outstanding ticket prices (Ł20 to watch Dortmund compared to Ł62 to watch Arsenal) and you have the perfect product for a German football fan.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #20
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

NFL
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #21
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

The Premier League was the undisputed best league in the world from about 2006-2009, when Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were 4 of the best 6-7 teams in Europe, as proven by their Champions League results during that period. However it has declined considerably since then.

For all the supposed 'excitement' of the Premier League, Man Utd have won 12 out of the last 20 league titles (60%), and they will make it 13 out of 21 this year. That's more titles over the past two decades than Bayern in Germany, Juventus in Italy, Barcelona in Spain etc. So really the EPL has largely been a one horse race.

Also the huge distribution of money and TV deal in the Premier League has actually had numerous negative effects. Many managers are petrified of getting relegated and losing the Premier League riches, so a lot of them play negative tactics and only target 40 points and survival year after year which is boring. Tony Pulis is the worst culprit there, despite spending so much money over the past 5 years, and many Stoke fans are starting to get sick of his small club mentality.

Serie A was the best league by a considerable distance during the 90s, with many of the best Argentinian, Brazil, German and Dutch players playing there. There was a period when Serie A had the Sette Sorelle/Seven sisters, with Juventus, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Parma and Fiorentina all flooded with world class players. Plus during that period Bologna and Udinese were very dangerous teams as well that could trouble all the big guns.

Poor infrastructure, stadia and marketing plus the numerous match fixing scandals have hurt Serie A considerably. For all the complaints English fans have with the FA, Spanish fans have with RFEF, the FIGC in Italy are far more useless and incompetent.

La Liga was the best league in the world when Valencia and Depor were major forces in Spain and Europe in the early 00s, but the ridiculous TV deal and bias towards the big two hurts its standing. Saying that in the past 20 years, there have been 5 different La Liga champions, the same number as in the EPL and Serie A.

The most exciting league is the Bundesliga now, and having overtaken Serie A, it is rapidly closing the gap in terms of quality of football on La Liga and the EPL (if one still exists there which is actually debatable).

Last edited by LeChuck : 02-05-2013 at 04:28 AM.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #22
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

A major plus point in the EPL's favour is its sheer number of teams have had success in European competitions.

England have probably been the most successful country in the European Cup/Champions League. 12 titles won by 5 different English clubs beats Spain's 13 titles won by only 2 different clubs, or Italy's 12 titles won by 3 different clubs.

13 different English clubs have won European trophies in total, as opposed to 9 different Italian clubs, 8 German clubs and only 6 different Spanish clubs.

One thing England probably doesn't get enough credit for is having the best football league pyramid/structure, as it's not only the top leagues in countries that count of course. The lower leagues in England blow those in other countries out of the water, with way more strength in depth (no B or reserve teams are needed to fill places), way better coverage and media recognition and better attendances.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #23
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

EPL is the most entertaining/exciting league in the world, if you want more technical skill watch La Liga, if you like the crowds go to maybe Bundesliga, but the crowds aren't what make a league, the footy is.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

A League.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Don't point one and point two contradict each other here?
Kind of . I think i didn't put it well, but i know what i'm trying to say.

Anyway, some points to consider...

Last season the goal per game average from the top 3 leagues was...

1. Bundesliga= 2.86
2. Premier League = 2.81
3. La Liga= 2.76

This season so far...

1. Bundesliga= 2.9
1. La Liga= 2.87
2. Premier League= 2.84

The average attendence last season...

1. Bundesliga= 45,116
2. Premier League= 34,486
3. La Liga= 30,275

This season so far...

1. Bundesliga= 41,898
2. Premier League= 35,659
3. La Liga= 28,905

Teams that have finished top 4 in Bundesliga from 07/08-11/12
BVB
Bayern
Schalke
Gladbach
Leverkusen
Hannover
Werder Bremen
Wolfsburg
Stuttgart
Hertha BSC

Teams that have finished top 4 in EPL from 07/08-11/12
Man City
Man United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Tottenham
Liverpool

Teams that have finished top 4 in La Liga from 07/08-11/12
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Valencia
Malaga
Villarreal
Sevilla
Atletico Madrid

Champions League performances from 07/08-11/12 and this seaosn so far

12/13 so far
England: GS,GS,16 GW,16 GRU
Spain: 16 GW,16 GW,16 GRU,16 GRU
Germany: QR,16 GW,16 GW,16 GW

11/12
England: GS,GS,16,W
Spain: GS,GS,SF,SF
Germany: GS,16,F

10/11
England: 16,QF,QF,F
Spain: QR,16,SF,W
Germany: GS,16,SF

09/10
England: GS,16,QF,QF
Spain: GS,16,16,SF
Germany: GS,16,F

08/09
England: QF,SF,SF,F
Spain: 16,16,QF,W
Germany: QR,GS,QF

07/08
England: QF,SF,F,W
Spain: GS,16,16,SF
Germany: GS,GS,16

Bundesliga Champions from 07/08-11/12
BVB x2
Bayern x2
Wolfsburg

Premier League Champions from 07/08-11/12
Man City
Man United x3
Chelsea

La Liga Champions from 07/08-11/12
Barcelona x3
Real Madrid x2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the 1990's Serie A was the best
Early 2000's, La Liga was the best
2006-2009, the Premier League was the best.
2009-2013, It could be argued either way (But i think La Liga from 09-11. Bundesliga from 11 onwards)
After 2013, it will undisputedly be the Bundesliga the way things are heading.

I think the excitement of the Premier League is Vastly exagerated. If you look back further it has less winners and top 4 members than Bundesliga and La Liga. It's been pretty much the same teams in the same positions every year. (How very exciting ).

In the Bundesliga you have new teams in there every year. The champions Dortmund have only just gone into 2nd place because Leverkusen are performing well (didn't reach the Champions league last season). Wolfsburg, who won the league a few years a go are now in the relegation battle. Hertha who finished top 4 a few seasons back have since been relegated. Schalke, who won their champions league group are struggling to even get into Europe for next season. Same with Gladbach who finished top 4, whilst Frankfurt (who have only just come up from the 2nd division) are flying high in 4th within touching distance of 3rd and even 2nd. Add that to the fact that it averages more goals per game than any other major league, then you've got a very exciting league.

Plus, Bundesliga teams are performing best in Europe this season, which shows the the teams are only getting better. La Liga performed better last season.

Premier League is all aboput money. So much, that it's a business rather than a sport in that league. The Bundesliga treats it like a sport with cheap ticket prices, and the result is virtually no debt and better use of the youth system.

I don't see anything that suggest that the EPL is the best in the world. 4 years a go it was, but not now. It's getting worse and worse every season

Del Potro-Nishikori-Brands-Paire-Wawrinka-Sampras-Llodra-Safin-Falla
nazzac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Serie A is my favourite, closely followed by the Bundesliga and then La Liga.

In terms of which is the best from a supporter's perspective, I would say either the Bundesliga or a (relative) minor league like the Eredivisie or Jupiler League.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Serie A is my favourite, closely followed by the Bundesliga and then La Liga.

In terms of which is the best from a supporter's perspective, I would say either the Bundesliga or a (relative) minor league like the Eredivisie or Jupiler League.
I couldn´t agree with you more (save for preferring the Bundesliga a wee bit over the Serie A)
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #28
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Any league with a team called the Kaiser Chiefs has to be pretty competitive right?

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.

Last edited by Hewitt =Legend : 02-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
country flag LeChuck

In the past 20 years (the Premier League era in England):
- 6 different teams have won the title in Germany compared to 5 in England.
- Leverkusen and Schalke have come closer to winning the Bundesliga than any other different 'non champion' teams have to winning the EPL.
- Man Utd with 12 titles out of 20 have been more dominant in England than Bayern have been in Germany with 10 titles out of 20.
- 11 different German clubs have qualified for the Champions League compared to 10 different English clubs.

Also Kaiserslautern were promoted to the Bundesliga in 1997, and then won the title in 1998. That hasn't come close to happening in recent decades in England. Also in Germany it's far more common for teams to battle against relegation one year and then challenge for champions league qualification the next (or vice versa) than in England.

Really the stats show that the Bundesliga is more exciting than the EPL. Also on a more subjective note, I think that teams generally play a more aesthetically pleasing style of football in Germany than in England (so many EPL teams look to be organised and contain the opposition).

If it wasn't for Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour, the EPL would have been even more predictable than it has been. Only Man Utd, Arsenal and Blackburn would have won the title during the past 20 years. Also Man Utd would have been even more dominant, winning title after title (probably an extra 3 titles in total) completely unchallenged. They should both be thanked for making the EPL more interesting, instead of being criticised.

One interesting stat is that only 9 different teams have won the La Liga title in its 81 year history, which is pretty poor for such a major league.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't watch football enough, but surely the EPL is the biggest and most well known league? Can't see any other leagues even coming close in that sense.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote