Mario Ancic vs his age peers - Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych - in terms of potential - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What was Ancic's potential compared to his age peers - Soderling, Berdych and Tsonga?

He could have been better than them 13 31.71%
Roughly the same 12 29.27%
He was inferior to them 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #91
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mario Ancic vs his age peers - Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych - in terms of potent

I’m not sure why so many people are emphasizing firepower as though that should define every player. Mario Ancic is one of those fabled creatures called an all-court player, the elusive ones the media have obsessed over since Federer’s rise. That’s what made him so good.

No, he doesn’t hit the ball as hard as any of the guys he’s being compared to, but neither did he have their limitations. He didn’t have an entire left side to protect like Tsonga, he didn’t have (severe) issues going forward like the equally big-swinging Soderling, and he wasn’t as streaky or aimless as Berdych.

Ancic had a strong serve, outstanding hands at net, a solid return, good athleticism, and capable groundies on either side. It was that all-court prowess, and subsequently his adaptability in a point, that made him quite formidable.

And for all the talk about his relative lack of firepower, he could hit through the ball pretty well. I remember him holding up in forehand exchanges with Fed even in that straight sets loss in ’06. And as it’s been mentioned, that’s the type of thing that can sometimes be improved with physical maturity, which his sickness really impaired.

Per the topic question, I would place him about on par with Berdych and Tsonga, but below Soderling. He would have undoubtedly remained a dangerous player at Wimbledon if his career could be played out properly.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #92
country flag Embassador
Banned!

Embassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond reputeEmbassador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mario Ancic vs his age peers - Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych - in terms of potent

All four are mugs.
Embassador is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #93
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassador View Post
All four are mugs.
Age 13 and 3rd post? You will be a great asset to this forum
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #94
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Ok, time to get this thread back on track, especially since MTF seems divided. So far, 12 votes for better, 11 for roughly the same, 12 for inferior - doesn't get much closer than this.

Let's rate these 4 relative to each other in different aspects of the game:

Serve: Tsonga > Ancic >> Soderling >> Berdych

Return: Berdych > Ancic > Soderling >>> Tsonga

Forehand: Soderling > Tsonga/Berdych (can't tell them apart) > Ancic

Backhand: Berdych > Ancic/Soderling >>> Tsonga

Net game/volleys: Ancic > Tsonga >> Berdych >> Soderling

Movement: Tsonga (clearly the most athletic of them) > Ancic > Berdych >> Soderling

Power: Soderling > Berdych/Tsonga > Ancic (although if we're being fair the other three did increase in power as they matured and peaked, there's no way to tell whether or not the same would occur to Ancic)

It's hard to qualify Mario's mental strength relative to the others due to his short time on tour, but he did make a habit of grinding out wins and winning many close matches.
Soderling serves as well as if not better than Ancic.
Tsonga has the best forehand of all three, followed by Berdych and Soderling very close.
Soderling's backhand is way better than Ancic's.
I'm not so sure Tsonga volleys aren't better than Ancic's.
And in no way possible Ancic moved better than Berdych and Soderling.

And power has nothing to do with age, so you can't say Ancic would somehow become a powerful hitter.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #95
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
I'll give a few more examples of where your logic is incredibly stupid.

Reaching a Slam final is better than winning Master Series events as you yourself have said. It must therefore rank higher than the WTF too. I mean that's an 8 man tournament at the end of a long season right? At the start of the season you don't target winning the WTF over any of the Slams so reaching a Slam final is definitely better.

Could you therefore answer yes or no the to following questions:

Is Fernando Gonzalez better than Davydenko?

Is Baghdatis better than Davydenko?

Are Berdych, Tsonga and Solderling all better than Davydenko?

Is Guillermo Coria better than Davydenko?

Is Fernando Gonzalez better than Nalbandian?

Is Baghdatis better than Nalbandian?

Are Berdych, Tsonga and Solderling all better than Nalbandian?

Is Guillermo Coria better than Nalbandian?

Yes or no only please.
The answer is:

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yeah.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.
7. Soderling yes, the others no.
8. No.

WTF > Slam final. The WTF is the most prestigious tournament in the world after the majors.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #96
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
The answer is:

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yeah.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.
7. Soderling yes, the others no.
8. No.

WTF > Slam final. The WTF is the most prestigious tournament in the world after the majors.
Then why you consider Soderling superior to Nalbandian? Soderling has 2 slam finals, Nalbandian one but he has the WTF. He also has one more Masters title and a few finals, one more title and reached a higher ranking.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #97
croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Soderling serves as well as if not better than Ancic.
Tsonga has the best forehand of all three, followed by Berdych and Soderling very close.
Soderling's backhand is way better than Ancic's.
I'm not so sure Tsonga volleys aren't better than Ancic's.
And in no way possible Ancic moved better than Berdych and Soderling.

And power has nothing to do with age, so you can't say Ancic would somehow become a powerful hitter.
tsonga with better volleys than ancic? you're kidding, right? and yes, ancic moved much better than berdych and soderling.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #98
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Then why you consider Soderling superior to Nalbandian? Soderling has 2 slam finals, Nalbandian one but he has the WTF. He also has one more Masters title and a few finals, one more title and reached a higher ranking.
Nalbandian's GS final was a fluke (most bizarre tournament of the decade - André Sá made the QF, for instance) and so was his WTF title (pretty much everybody missed the tournament and Federer was coming back from injury).

Soderling's slam finals were way more relevant, beating Federer and Nadal on his way. Soderling was actually a factor against the top 3 in slams, while Nalbandian was just a factor in Paris and Madrid (after clowning the whole season long).

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
tsonga with better volleys than ancic? you're kidding, right? and yes, ancic moved much better than berdych and soderling.
No he didn't.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #99
country flag Coolio_Jack

Coolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the volleying goes, its not comparable with the other 3, Ancic had the best volleys on tour. I still remember the volleying lessons he gave to LLodra in their Wimbledon match
Coolio_Jack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #100
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ancic would've been so good ! For me he would've had a wonderfull Soderling like career and to those who say that Mugrrer is in the conversation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sw_E1QkRDw Warm regards Vulture tards

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #101
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Age 13 and 3rd post? You will be a great asset to this forum
They grow trolls young these days.

BRAVO MARINE, SAMO NAPRED MAJSTORE !!

Marin Cilic ~The Greatest Ballstriker of All Time
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #102
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Visa View Post
I don't understand how Berdych has stayed so fit. I mean, Ancic and Soderling had their careers ruined by mono, and Tsonga and Del Potro have missed heaps of tennis due to injuries.
True, from this generation Berdych has undoubtedly been the luckiest as far as health is concerned, he hardly had any problems. Unfortunately he's also the most unstable/weakest mentally of the bunch so he couldn't take full advantage of it. Had someone like Tsonga been so lucky avoiding injuries as Tomas, he'd probably have a Slam to his name by now: hell, he's arguably done better than Berdych so far despite losing basically all his early development years to injuries and only joining the tour full time at 23yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
I’m not sure why so many people are emphasizing firepower as though that should define every player. Mario Ancic is one of those fabled creatures called an all-court player, the elusive ones the media have obsessed over since Federer’s rise. That’s what made him so good.

No, he doesn’t hit the ball as hard as any of the guys he’s being compared to, but neither did he have their limitations. He didn’t have an entire left side to protect like Tsonga, he didn’t have (severe) issues going forward like the equally big-swinging Soderling, and he wasn’t as streaky or aimless as Berdych.

Ancic had a strong serve, outstanding hands at net, a solid return, good athleticism, and capable groundies on either side. It was that all-court prowess, and subsequently his adaptability in a point, that made him quite formidable.

And for all the talk about his relative lack of firepower, he could hit through the ball pretty well. I remember him holding up in forehand exchanges with Fed even in that straight sets loss in ’06. And as it’s been mentioned, that’s the type of thing that can sometimes be improved with physical maturity, which his sickness really impaired.

Per the topic question, I would place him about on par with Berdych and Tsonga, but below Soderling. He would have undoubtedly remained a dangerous player at Wimbledon if his career could be played out properly.
Great analysis as always. I think even on this slowed down grass, he'd be a potential Wimbledon champion at his peak; when he lost that close 2004 semi with Roddick, I thought one day he'd be back to the SF and win, in hindsight it's a shame he lost that one. Although odds are he'd have lost the final to Federer, a guy with his grasscourt game deserved at least one final at Wimbledon.

As for the volleying discussion, Ancic is clearly ahead of Tsonga imo. He had arguably the best volleys on tour, check the video on the OP to see a true volley masterclass.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote