Mario Ancic vs his age peers - Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych - in terms of potential - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What was Ancic's potential compared to his age peers - Soderling, Berdych and Tsonga?

He could have been better than them 13 31.71%
Roughly the same 12 29.27%
He was inferior to them 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mario Ancic vs his age peers - Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych - in terms of potent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Wasn't generally accepted Ancic was better on grass? Hence the reason I mentioned.

Keep up Lenders.
Yeah, so? Djokovic wasn't exactly a random mug, but a very talented young player and future #1. Struggling against him does not mean he was not great on grass. I know Djokovic was 19, but he was already a great player, would have reached QF with an easier R4 opponent and did reach semis the following year.

Federer actually lost to 18yo Ancic on grass, does this mean he's not great on the surface? No, it means nothing.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mario Ancic vs his age peers - Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych - in terms of potent

Quote:
The Ancic I remember is the one that nearly got beat at Wimbledon by an 18 year old Djokovic.

Time makes fools of us. We allow ourselves to believe things were better than they really were.
He was 19 and had reached his first slam QF three weeks earlier. Do your research.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #33
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yeah, so? Djokovic wasn't exactly a random mug, but a very talented young player and future #1. Struggling against him does not mean he was not great on grass. I know Djokovic was 19, but he was already a great player, would have reached QF with an easier R4 opponent and did reach semis the following year.

Federer actually lost to 18yo Ancic on grass, does this mean he's not great on the surface? No, it means nothing.
Aside from all of that, Ancic was good, but not great. Bit like all the other mugs you worship (Tsonga, Del Potro, Berdych etc).

I think the question you really want to ask is:

Would he be Ferrer's bitch just like the other three are? The answer is yes.

Discussions like these are pointless. You are entrenched with your uneducated opinion and really want others to just suck up to you and agree.

Reality is we will never know how good he could have become. Speculating on it is pointless.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #34

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aside from all of that, Ancic was good, but not great. Bit like all the other mugs you worship (Tsonga, Del Potro, Berdych etc).

I think the question you really want to ask is:

Would he be Ferrer's bitch just like the other three are? The answer is yes.

Discussions like these are pointless. You are entrenched with your uneducated opinion and really want others to just suck up to you and agree.

Reality is we will never know how good he could have become. Speculating on it is pointless.

And this was already after his mono. Ferrer is owning him so hard he couldn't get a single break in 4 sets

And all those 'mugs' are far better than Ferrer. If you don't like speculation, you're in the wrong place. If all we had to talk about was how many Slams/tournaments player x won, we'd not need a forum, would we? There'd be nothing to debate.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And all those 'mugs' are far better than Ferrer.

You need professional help.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #36

Quote:

You need professional help.
You need to ask your first grade Math teacher to teach you how to count. 1 Slam title > 0. 1 Slam final > 0. It's not that hard; you don't need to understand anything about tennis for this one, which makes it much easier for you, all you need is some basic first grade Math skills.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

He would be as good as them if not better imo. I believe he would be in their league. I don't see why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #38
Banned!

Quote:
You need to ask your first grade Math teacher to teach you how to count. 1 Slam title > 0. 1 Slam final > 0. It's not that hard; you don't need to understand anything about tennis for this one, which makes it much easier for you, all you need is some basic first grade Math skills.
Better H2H records vs all three, more tournaments won > a fluked slam win and a fluke slam final
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Better H2H records vs all three, more tournaments won > a fluked slam win and a fluke slam final
Of course, winning Acapulco and Buenos Aires is much more important than the US Open

Ferrer isn't even good enough to 'fluke' a final. He can win the St Hertongenboschs of this world 1000 times, he will still be inferior to players who won Slams or played in Slam finals. Tsonga and Berdych reached their Slam finals by straight setting Nadal and Djokovic respectively, that's basically more games in one set than Ferrer wins in his entire Slam semis.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #40
Banned!

Quote:
Of course, winning Acapulco and Buenos Aires is much more important than the US Open

Ferrer isn't even good enough to 'fluke' a final. He can win the St Hertongenboschs of this world 1000 times, he will still be inferior to players who won Slams or played in Slam finals. Tsonga and Berdych reached their Slam finals by straight setting Nadal and Djokovic respectively, that's basically more games in one set than Ferrer wins in his entire Slam semis.
Do you understand what a fluke is Lenders?

Clearly not.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Banned!

Just to put your ridiculous argument into context, are you therefore saying that Gaston Gaudio is better than Tsonga and Soderling?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Do you understand what a fluke is Lenders?

Clearly not.
Yeah, but you clearly you don't. It's basically a stroke of luck that leads to success. Now that I think about it, Ferrer's Bercy title fits perfectly having to face titans like Llodra and Janowicz in the final weekend and having all the top players tank.

There's nothing lucky about beating two of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic in best of 5 back to back to have Slam success, it's basically the hardest path possible.

Quote:
Just to put your ridiculous argument into context, are you therefore saying that Gaston Gaudio is better than Tsonga and Soderling?
He might not be a better tennis player over the course of his career, but he's definitely more accomplished much as I prefer Tsonga and Soderling. I'm afraid randomly branding a player's achievements a fluke does not alter the facts

This is completely different though. Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych peaked in the same era and are facing the same obstacles to get deep into big events so their success is an accurate measure of who the better player is, which is not the case when the comparison is between players who peaked in different eras against different fields (you can gauge who is more accomplished in such cases).
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #43
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, but you clearly you don't. It's basically a stroke of luck that leads to success. Now that I think about it, Ferrer's Bercy title fits perfectly having to face titans like Llodra and Janowicz in the final weekend and having all the top players tank.
Now that you mention it, I remember you claiming that all the top players tanked Paris in order to get ready for London. Del Potro was among them of course, and yet the following week he lost to Ferrer, who was stupid enough not to tank Paris.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #44
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ferrer has more tournaments, but you should consider the importance of the tournamentes, don't you think??

Being a "fluke" is a subjective opinion of yours. I could say the same about Ferrer's or any other players's titles and it would be meaningless. The thing is Tsonga, Berdych and Del Potro have grand slam finals and Ferrer does not. Del Potro even has a slam won, and also an olympic medal.

Not to mention that these 3 players are younger than Ferrer, specially Del Potro, who is 6 years younger than Ferrer. He has 13 titles already. Ferrer had 2 titles at that age, he reached 13 last year, being 29.

And saying Ferrer would own Ancic because he owns these 3 players makes no sense whatsoever too.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Now that you mention it, I remember you claiming that all the top players tanked Paris in order to get ready for London. Del Potro was among them of course, and yet the following week he lost to Ferrer, who was stupid enough not to tank Paris.
Good for him. He was still eliminated while Del Potro advanced to the semis with Federer in that group. But I suppose getting a few token wins over a GS winner is what it was all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Ferrer has more tournaments, but you should consider the importance of the tournamentes, don't you think??

Being a "fluke" is a subjective opinion of yours. I could say the same about Ferrer's or any other players's titles and it would be meaningless. The thing is Tsonga, Berdych and Del Potro have grand slam finals and Ferrer does not. Del Potro even has a slam won, and also an olympic medal.

Not to mention that these 3 players are younger than Ferrer, specially Del Potro, who is 6 years younger than Ferrer. He has 13 titles already. Ferrer had 2 titles at that age, he reached 13 last year, being 29.

And saying Ferrer would own Ancic because he owns these 3 players makes no sense whatsoever too.
This post makes far too sense to be wasted on WingManFrank. It's almost as if you're suggesting that actual results are a better gauge of a player's level/achievements than subjective remarks about certain titles being 'flukes' or not.