"Murray's AO chances scuppered by No. 3 seeding" - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #31
country flag Marc23

Marc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Murray's AO chances scuppered by No. 3 seeding"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
The number 2 seed has a 50/50 shot of drawing Ferrer. The number 3 never does. Therefore being number two is a big advantage moving forward.
But based on what would Murray be seeded ahead of Federer if the current rankings are reverse?
Marc23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #32
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
The number 2 seed has a 50/50 shot of drawing Ferrer. The number 3 never does. Therefore being number two is a big advantage moving forward.
The biggest effect is behind us. In the clay season it won't do much difference, Ferrer and Murray are about equal there, I guess. Unless Murray shows improvement. And Federer won't play Miami. So there's only Indian Wells where this will matter until Wimbledon. And in Wimbledon drawing Djokovic is not as big a disadvantage as it is on HC.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like they are separated by 10 points, so Murray was unlucky - the difference is close to 2k, a Slam's worth.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
country flag Zepploydath

Zepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond repute

Murray was scuppered by far too easy a draw, failing to close out a match against Federer in 3 or 4, failing to be ruthless agaisnt Djokovic after the 1st set and probably a combination of his blister and hamstring. Part of it was his fault, part of it wasn't. Nothing to do with his seeding.
Zepploydath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

The logic is probably scuppered by the fact that if Murray drew Ferrer in the semis, he'd likely have had just as physical match as he did against Federer. See their Wim match, and indeed last Aus Open meeting.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #36
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Damn those pesky ranking points.
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #37
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the pissing British press. Half of the British press suck Federer's cock and hate Murray, whilst the other half suck Murray's cock and try to stir up any thing they can between Fed and Murray. Take for example the Daily Fail, who were making up 100s of excuses for Murray's loss, even though Murray made no excuse himself.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepploydath View Post
Murray was scuppered by far too easy a draw, failing to close out a match against Federer in 3 or 4, failing to be ruthless agaisnt Djokovic after the 1st set and probably a combination of his blister and hamstring. Part of it was his fault, part of it wasn't. Nothing to do with his seeding.
excuses, excuses. I could say Nole should've trashed Wawrinka 61 60 62 but he didn't. And why would Murray close out the match against Fed in 3/4 sets? Is a 17 GS champion a mug? Some of you Brit guys amaze me with your logic. And this is coming from a Nole fan who likes and supports Murray. combination of his blisters and hamstring ... uh, oh, whatever dude ... could I get some more excuses please ?

Federer is the second best player at the moment for a good reason. He has outperformed Murray in last 52 weeks, so he is ranked #2. He is almost 2000 points ahead of Murray. The article is retarded and the UK press is like OMG. Whoever wrote that article is completely clueless.

People, try to be logical and objective regardless who you support. It's not too complicated . let's try this, mmm
1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Murray

1,2,3 ... see, it's not too complicated
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #39
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

1 more thing guys, do you really think Murray would destroy Ferrer like Djokovic did? I say no chance. As Wilander said, Djokovic has that 45 mins where he goes on a rampage when doesn't miss a thing. Nobody can stop him then. Murray doesn't have that. He would push the ball with Ferrer for 3 hours, even if he would win in 3.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #40
country flag Zepploydath

Zepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
excuses, excuses. I could say Nole should've trashed Wawrinka 61 60 62 but he didn't. And why would Murray close out the match against Fed in 3/4 sets? Is a 17 GS champion a mug? Some of you Brit guys amaze me with your logic. And this is coming from a Nole fan who likes and supports Murray. combination of his blisters and hamstring ... uh, oh, whatever dude ... could I get some more excuses please ?
Except the only thing there that could be viewed as an excuse is me saying about the injuries.

You seem like a half-decent poster so why are you failing to see these statements for what they are? The fact he had a really easy draw didn't help. People always talk about really tough draws but often they are a good thing for these top players because it prepares them for the semifinals and finals. I mention him not front-running well enough and not being ruthless. How the **** is that an excuse? It's Murray's fault that he didn't take the iniative but as a Murray fan I'm taking solace from the fact he lost to Djokovic not because he can't beat him on a regular basis, but that it was down to a small lack of killer instinct that is easily rectified. And why should Murray have won in 3/4? If you watched the match you'd know that Murray dominated the match. 3 sets was very possible and he served for the match in the 4th set so surely 3/4 sets was very possible?

The only thing that I mentioned that could really be an excuse is me saying he had blisters and a sore hamstring. Whether you like it or not blisters hurt and so do pulled/strained/sore muscles. So it's a perfectly legitimate reason for Murray not playing his best. Again, I'm just being positive as a Murray fan saying he'd have had an evener better chance of putting the match away at 1 set up if he had been 100%.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #41
country flag Zepploydath

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
1 more thing guys, do you really think Murray would destroy Ferrer like Djokovic did? I say no chance. As Wilander said, Djokovic has that 45 mins where he goes on a rampage when doesn't miss a thing. Nobody can stop him then. Murray doesn't have that. He would push the ball with Ferrer for 3 hours, even if he would win in 3.
I half agree. I wouldn't say Murray ''doesn't have that'' as such. He has it within him, but never seems to use it because for some reason he's never as ruthless as he should be. Murray can play very good aggressive tennis and it's an attitude problem more than anything else.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
And I can't see that being seeded second would have made any great difference, except that possibly he'd have had Federer's draw and Fed would have had his.
exactly, he would have had the exact same draw in Australia. The only case where it would have made a difference is if he had drawn Djokovic in the semis

Now that said, clearly, both players have an interest to try to get to number 2 seed in next months to be certain to avoid Djokovic in the semis, and also less importantly to have one chance out of 2 to avoid the other one (Murray/Fed) in the semi

... which is not really important on clay but may be important in Wimbledon and the US Open,

even though there will be other pieces of luck involved like the question of avoiding Nadal on clay, etc ...
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #43
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't make any sense. If Murray is #2 then Fed would have been #3 and on Murray's side still. Murray would have to have still beaten Fed and Nole to win the title just like he had to do and couldn't do anyway.

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
country flag twoflower

twoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond reputetwoflower has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if Murray had been 2nd and Fed 3rd, the semi and final would have been the same, but Murray would have Tsonga in the Quarters instead of Chardy
twoflower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #45
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Federer is the second best player at the moment for a good reason. He has outperformed Murray in last 52 weeks, so he is ranked #2. He is almost 2000 points ahead of Murray.
well, the problem is that many of those points come from tournaments played nearly one year ago (Indian Wells-Madrid especially),

then what should reasonably be said is that Federer and Murray are very close at the moment, and Murray having a good chance to get ahead of the older guy but still having to do better in Masters 1000 tournaments and on clay for that, and Fed can still have his own word in that.

Federer is guaranteed the number 2 until the end of Indian Wells, but already after Indian Wells the situation is very tight : 8280 points for Fed, 8170 for Murray, although Fed will play in february and Murray will not.

Then Murray will play Miami but has to "defend" his last year's final.

And then Federer will lose his points from Madrid, and that's the best opportunity for Murray to get ahead of him, esp. as he will play Monte-Carlo and maybe Barcelona whereas Fed will not, but still they are very close after Madrid at the moment (7300 for Murray, 7235 for Fed ; after Roma : 7210 for Murray, 6875 for Fed)
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote