Novak's net play and overheads improving? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak's net play and overheads improving?

The stats say more about his intent than volleying ability. You could already see in the Shanghai final that he was going to try and come forward much more than at the US Open against Murray and he continued that here.

In saying that he was very solid up there. Zero comical overheads is always a good sign.

Murray should look at their respective net stats and feel nothing but shame. That insane chip and charge point showed what he's capable of when he sets his mind on it but he didn't seem to want to do it again.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
It's improving. His overhead is all arm, that's what he needs to improve.

What I was most impressed during this tournament was his serve. It's getting better and better, it was better last year than in 2011 and it looked even better now. Getting back the 2008 serve
His overhead is all eyes btw and his overhead is just fine. It's just that some smart arses here are trying to be smart and they are not . His net game is getting better.

I like that he mixed it up against Murray in the final coming to the net much more than he usually does.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
country flag mwirmm

mwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
The stats say more about his intent than volleying ability. You could already see in the Shanghai final that he was going to try and come forward much more than at the US Open against Murray and he continued that here.

In saying that he was very solid up there. Zero comical overheads is always a good sign.

Murray should look at their respective net stats and feel nothing but shame. That insane chip and charge point showed what he's capable of when he sets his mind on it but he didn't seem to want to do it again.
Yeh that point was outrageous, strange that Novak was feeling more confident than Andy to attack the net
mwirmm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Did someone just say his backhand slice is on par with Andy's??
It was in this particular match, or at least very close. I noticed it too.
retister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
country flag Spierbal

Spierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond repute

Has he not been trying to improve this part of his game since 07' when he brought Woodforde in? Anyway, he is not a natural volleyer but at the same time not as bad as people say it is. This is great for his longevity as he is open and keen to add things to his game.

This does seem to be a current trend atm, if I recall he had similar points won at the net against Murray in Shanghai Final. So its very much a tactic against Murray it seems. He does not come near enough forward against Federer or Nadal. Last year's AUS open final in particular, there was this reluctance to follow aggressive shots to the net to finish points. How often did we see him being afraid to venture to the net to finish points off only for Nadal to reset the point and win. So I want to see if he will venture forward more often to play shorter points against Nadal & co when he is given the opportunities(obviously when comes back) or is it only reserved for when he faces Murray?
Spierbal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Did someone just say his backhand slice is on par with Andy's??
it was more efficient than Andy's one in the final
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
country flag mwirmm

mwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond repute

Nole usually stops going forward actively after the first insane passing shot the opponent plays, it looks like hes gaining confidence in this aspect of his game and I think well start seeing him follow through aggressive shots more often
mwirmm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Djokovic is thinking carefully about his longeviety in tennis and is slowing adapting his game with this view in mind. It was very noticable in the final V Murray that Djokovic was deliberately looking for ways to shorten the points as often as he could, often pulling the trigger from the baseline and making an unforced error. He clearly no longer just wants to 'hang' tough at the baseline against the likes of Murray and Nadal as it'll do him no good in the long run. And maybe Djokovic is starting to thin about the long run. Hence Djokovic is coming to the net a lot more now, shortening points. I think his volleys have improved. However, his overhead smash is pretty ordinary for a world number 1, and cannot be relied on under pressure.
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post

i would agree with that statement if the net play was 15/41, or even 25/41, however 35/41 sends a different signal.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall him making very many difficult volleys to the point where you could say he has dramatically improved his net game.

He was coming in to put away easy balls when he was in control of the rally.

This normally wouldn't even be considered noteworthy because it's what players have always done but not in matches between these two.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough improvement to warrant a thread. He'll never be good enough where it makes a significant dimension to his game so what you see now is as good as it's going to get. It's simply not worth improving your volleys to the point of them being a strength in today's game.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say he improved his net game,however his overheads are atrocious and painful to look at
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Net play has improved imo, but his overheads...lets just say that every time he has to smash a crucial overhead, I shut my eyes.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
country flag Okram04

Okram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond repute

The backhand slice was on par with Andy's in the finals, perhaps not otherwise, but my point is that he noticeably improved this particular shot, as well as net play.
Earlier, players such as Andy and Roger could slice their way into advantage against Novak, but if he keeps working on it, it might as well be the other way around. Watch the final again if you don't trust me.
Perhaps he needs yet more work, because, Andy has softer touch naturally, but Nadal was also naturally better defender than him and now it's hard to say that.
Okram04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #30
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Not enough improvement to warrant a thread. He'll never be good enough where it makes a significant dimension to his game so what you see now is as good as it's going to get. It's simply not worth improving your volleys to the point of them being a strength in today's game.
Well, his baseline game will always be better than his net game, so of course he's not going to stop being what he is. Rather I think the point is that his net game, slice and overheads were in such condition that even this level of improvement is noteworthy
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote