Boris Backer: Roger Federer could've competed successfully in our era. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
country flag sportstennis

sportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boris Backer: Roger Federer could've competed successfully in our era.

NEW DELHI: Legendary tennis player Boris Becker rated Roger Federer very highly and said due to his sound technique the Swiss probably could have been the only player to have competed successfully in the "serve and volley" era.

"The reason why Roger Federer is still successful at the age of 31 is because he has got a good technique. He can play from the baseline and when he has to, he can also come to the net more often than other players," Becker said during an event.

"I don't think Nadal or Djokovic would have been so successful in the era of serve and volley but Roger Federer could have played," the German added.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...cker-del-potro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfwv2GJj_fw

Nadal "Sampras, Ivanisevic match. or one between those kind of players, is not enjoyable. It's not really tennis. it is a few swings of the racquet. For me in the past it was just serve. serve" smug arrogant.

clay excluded. successive win 0.  If grass and a hard are fast. Like Sampras era. Nadal is able to win only with clay. power of defense and muscles. boring ugly. All the surface is slow now.

fake time-out. cheat. gamesmanship. too noisy annoying always. excuse. boycotts threatened. always dissatisfaction cry complaints. dissatisfaction to schedule. selfish two-year ranking. bump to player. ugly protest. always exaggerated appeal of self condition. etc. overrated by fanatic arrogant blind fan
sportstennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

sportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boris Backer: Roger Federer could've competed successfully in our era.

Stating that competition used to be different during his time when there were more number of players as compared to the modern era, Becker said, "Today there is just Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and (Andy) Murray. I can't remember anyone else apart from these winning the Grand Slams in recent times.

"(Juan Martin) Del Potro and Murray might have won once or twice. Otherwise it is these three. The competition used to be different at my time."

The 44-year-old Becker, however, said that the biggest change that the game of tennis has witnessed over the years is the kind of "racquets the players use today".

Becker refused to name any particular opponent whom he thought was most difficult to face but said he had respect for each and every individual he had played against.

"There were lots who were tough to face. The likes of (John) McEnroe, (Jimmy) Connors, Stefan Edberg, and later Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang. I played against three-four generations of world class players but if you have to get to the final you have to win the first round and then the next.

"So you have to respect every individual you are playing. On a bad day, you can lose to anyone," insisted Becker.

"I always wanted to have a substantial career and the fact that I was able to play for so long is my biggest achievement.

"In the late stage of my career, I would say playing against Sampras or Agassi was very rewarding because they were the new kids on the block and doing well against them would give you me a chance to play for another year. Had they been not there I would have stopped earlier," he said.

Becker, however, said that he would always regret missing out on a French Open title during his illustrious career.

"Only regret is, I have never won a French Open. My game wasn't suited for clay. And obviously I would have liked to have 12-13 Grand Slam titles but when you are playing against the big players, it is very difficult," said the legendary German, who has won six Grand Slam titles.
Nadal "Sampras, Ivanisevic match. or one between those kind of players, is not enjoyable. It's not really tennis. it is a few swings of the racquet. For me in the past it was just serve. serve" smug arrogant.

clay excluded. successive win 0.  If grass and a hard are fast. Like Sampras era. Nadal is able to win only with clay. power of defense and muscles. boring ugly. All the surface is slow now.

fake time-out. cheat. gamesmanship. too noisy annoying always. excuse. boycotts threatened. always dissatisfaction cry complaints. dissatisfaction to schedule. selfish two-year ranking. bump to player. ugly protest. always exaggerated appeal of self condition. etc. overrated by fanatic arrogant blind fan
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boris Backer: Roger Federer could've competed successfully in our era.

November 2012...
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

of course he is backing Federer when his name is Backer no news here
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

yep, he said that in sky sports studio during the last year's wtf
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

there is a thread about this already. old news.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
November 2012...
I'm sorry. But this thread does not exist... ?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

nvm them. It's always good with some Backer. Must also remember his rival Edgerg. Two legends of the game
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.facebook.com/borisrehman

Yes I'm pretty sure Federer could compete with this guy.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

WTF ahaha
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
country flag piksi

piksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond repute

They were so good back then that a kid like Chang could win a GS title. That would be impossible now because these guys would eat him for breakfast. The question should be asked other way around. How many of those guys would be as good today? What are the chances of Becker winning 2 AO in era of Roger, Rafa and Novak? You can ask the same question for any other GS.
piksi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksi View Post
They were so good back then that a kid like Chang could win a GS title. That would be impossible now because these guys would eat him for breakfast. The question should be asked other way around. How many of those guys would be as good today? What are the chances of Becker winning 2 AO in era of Roger, Rafa and Novak? You can ask the same question for any other GS.
I remember the utterance which looked down on Nadal's Sampras era whenever it heard such opinion.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

this baker is good.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Boris Backpacker.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

lol

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote