Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nadal's Comeback

15K views 129 replies 77 participants last post by  GhostUnholy 
#1 · (Edited)
Maybe it is just me, but i feel like Nadal is going to have a MONSTER come-back. Back to back wins at slams imo (rg/wimbledon). Murray does not have the gonads to stop nadal... only djokovic stands in Nadal's way. Nadal has had SO much rest, it almost seems inevitable that nadal will make a monstrous comeback.

Nadal to win RG/WIMBY. BOOK IT

#5 ·
not that i don't want to jinx him, but i think this is hardly possible, he is no longer 24 but 27 soon :tears:

#11 ·
His clay level can still be great,but u wonder how his fitness level will be when he comes back.
After such a long layoff,u wonder if he can play 4 or 5 events in a short space of time.He certainly can win the events he plays but he might take it easy and not play like 3 events in 4 weeks,or so.
Also,u wonder how his confidence level will be when he steps off clay and goes to the hardcourt events(IW,Miami).
There will always be a lot of questions to be asked for any player who hasn`t competed for over 6 months.

#12 ·
Don't want to spoil your party tards, but Nadal is almost 27(very old for an ultimate grinder) and hasn't played an official match in 8 months.
If Nadal wins anything off-clay this year it means tennis reached the low of unknown dimensions.

#14 ·
Maybe it is just me, but i feel like Nadal is going to have a MONSTER come-back. Back to back wins at slams imo (rg/wimbledon). Murray does not have the gonads to stop nadal... only djokovic stands in Nadal's way. Nadal has had SO much rest, it almost seems inevitable that nadal will make a monstrous comeback.

Nadal to win RG/WIMBY. BOOK IT

And that is anything but a good thing. It may have been good for his knees, but it was DEFINITELY not good for his game/confidence. General rule of thumb is that it takes a player to come back as long as he's been absent. OK, Nadal is not just any player, so I expect him to need 4-5 months at MINIMUM to get back where he was before injury.

#16 ·
Just IMO, but the new penalty rule about time between points can also affect him.

Referees will dare to use penalty now as it is not a warning then a penalty point anymore but a loss of next first serve.

Most of the time you used to earing referees warning him or Djokovic but never more...

I saw penalties against Bautista in Chennai final.

My spanish badminton double partner (she is a Nadal fan) told me last month, that she is worried about him not to give as much power in rallies if time in betwenn points is strictly limited.

It worried me too about Nole in AO but as he put extra power in his serve, there were now far less rallies in his game.

#17 ·
Nadal didn't win anything until the next clay season after his injury in 2009, it might take him some time until he finds his winning form again. But now he comes back on clay, so it will probably help him to get in form and gain confidence. If he stays injury free, then he is the favourite for every clay tournament he enters. IDK how he will perform off clay. Saying that he will win Wimbledon or USO is nothing more than a bold prediction right now.

#19 ·
All I'll say is that tennis misses Nadal.

#21 ·
Rafael Nadal will attempt to play next week’s tournament in Vina del Mar, Chile, but he is still experiencing some pain in his knee.

Nadal, who has not played since Wimbledon, told sport.es that the pain still won’t allow him to do certain movements, but he is hoping that it will disappear.

“If the knee stops hurting, I do not see why I should not play at a high level on clay," he said.

Nadal is scheduled to play clay-court tournaments in Vina del Mar, Sao Paulo, and Acapulco. Toni Nadal told the publication that Rafa recently beat Spanish player Tommy Robredo in practice match, and added that his nephew is not far off from a good level.

Nadal is planning on playing doubles in Vina del Mar with his friend Juan Monaco, and then in Sao Paulo with another friend, David Nalbandian.
Playing while still in pain plus planning in some fine doubles action, what can possibly go wrong?

#22 ·
Betfair already adjusted their RG odds slightly after this...
edit: 2.52 Rafa, 2.64 Novak, only yday difference was much bigger.

#23 ·
I doubt he'll do THAT well, like Mimi mentioned, he's not 24 years old anymore and is indeed a grinder so it would be pretty amazing / lucky if he really held up physically well enough to be a threat all season at the remaining slams.

I do hope he comes back strong though! he's obviously a fighter so at the very least we'll have to expect him to make it pretty deep in a few big events. a dream come true for sure for me would be if he came back and won the Roland Garros / Wimbledon duo, but I think the more realistic view point is that he wins neither :sad:

it is hard to say either way without having seen Nadal back on court, of course we all hope he is well so tennis will be much more interesting again :hug:

#33 ·
Roland Garros officials are sick of Nadal and the French fans can't stand him either. I expect faster condition in Paris in an all out attempt to derail the comeback. As a result, Nadal loses to Djokovic in Paris then he withdraws from Wimbledon and the US Open.

#46 ·
the president of the French Tennis Federation is a big fan of Nadal's and he has many fans in France, and nobody has any economic interest in Nadal's absence of the Tour.

Anyway, the contract for the Babolat balls has been made since 2011, but the balls were a little bit heavier last year,

and then for the courts it mostly depends on the weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.