novak djokovic endorsements potential - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #91
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: novak djokovic endorsements potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
Djokovic could be sponsorless and only have 10 Facebook fans for all I care. I'm not in it for the popularity contest BS. This isn't high school (or is it? ) A popularity contest won't win you a slam

Anyway, as for whether he will reach Federer's levels of endorsement potential? Ummm, probably not. But Novak himself is incredibly worthy of endorsements. Nice-looking guy, articulate, charismatic, wins a lot, friendly, etc.
The relevance of this post to the thread is very low. A lot of people are "worthy" if things but it doesn't mean they get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
While I can understand the claims that he has a "generic image", that question is pretty easy for a djoko fan such as Nina and I.

Young, rebel and and entertainer.
You answered your own question. It's only easy for Noletards to identify his appeal or in other words people that follow him closely. "Entertainer" is a bit rich considering the point of sport in general is to entertain in the first place. Being young in itself isn't a selling point either and that's not even considering the fact he's not actually young. He doesn't really give off the rebel vibe either. To do that you need Agassi levels of shenanigans.

Quote:
Caesar, first those photos are rigged. I could find 2 photos which would show the exact opposite and everyone would say Nole is the youngest.

But overall I agree with you, like I said before, I understand that to the general public he comes accross rather generic. I have said it twice in this thread already. Although I should warn you, that your arguments are relatively debatable, and it wouldn't be hard to argument against them.
Is there anyone in this thread arguing Djokovic has the same mass appeal as Nadal/Federer other than his tards?

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo

Last edited by leng jai : 01-30-2013 at 10:20 PM.
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #92
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: novak djokovic endorsements potential

To be honest, this is as good as it gets for him in terms of exposure. World number one, winning slams, Nadal absent, Federer declining, Murray not exactly a pleasant subject of the world's attention. All eyes are on Djokovic right now.

So this to me suggests that in terms if endorsement potential, Djokovic has certainly gone most of the way to his apex.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #93
country flag Depeche

Depeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
The bottom line is that none of this stuff is conveyed by the way he looks. Nadal LOOKS like a tough, primal competitor. Federer LOOKS like a suave, sophisticated charismatic guy.

Djokovic might be tougher and more charismatic than both put together but he sure as shit doesn't look like it. In fact he mostly just looks like a regular guy who happens to be really, really good at tennis.
I actually agree with all of this despite being a Djokovic fan.

It's a conundrum. I think Yolita has a point about the warrior/gladiator trope, especially given the chest-baring celebrations. I don't know how one would market that though. And I agree that him not being from the US or western Europe is a problem as far as marketability goes (unfortunately).
Depeche is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #94
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, I think he should get endorsements from a toy company, doing a great job with kids

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #95
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

2 people telling me the guy is not young. what? What kind of target public are talking about here? The brands that are paying Rafa and Federer are not looking for the teen look, neither are teens their public.

Gillete, Rolex, coffee brands, Merecedes, Pokerstars...

When I said Nole looked and is young, I absolutely didn't mean he looks like a teen, because he does not. But those brands, they are not looking for that type of young, are they?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong... I admit that I might be 100% off.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #96
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Also, just so I am clear, I couldn't care less about how much money Nole is making off the court or how popular he is within the general public. Like I have discussed with fellow fans, I actually miss the days when he wasn't globally recognized, and was just another talented tennis player.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #97
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Djokovic is young. He's a tennis player. They're all young!

The question is what makes him different. Marketing is about owning a concept. If you want to own young, you get Nadal. You want to own class, you get Federer. You want to own glamour, you get Sharapova. You want to own urban, you get Serena.

What concept is a company buying when they buy Djokovic? There isn't really one.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #98
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how people talk about Facebook likes . Djokovic writes long-arsed essays on facebook after nearly every GS match (at the least) whilst Fed posts a pic every month or so and Nadal just whines about his knees being sore and they still own Djokovic in that department.

I'd love to see a comparison of facebook likes for Nadal and Djoker over the past months because I've noticed you get a lot more additional likes if you're playing/winning. If Djokovic has not caught up with Nadal significantly over the past months, it'd be hilarious to even think he'll beat Nadal's endorsement deals. Fed has made nearly a 1 million likes on Nadal due to his absence hence why the ATP have stopped the talk about "the social war".

PS I didn't know Djoko's an ambassador for Mercedes only for Serbia .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On "vulturing" Shanghai
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
lucky win with Mayer, easy draw, Simon choked, Dull with appendicitis, Nole to become father, closed roof from organizers, Del Potro injured, Hrbaty retired
plenty to pick from
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Looner : 01-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #99
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

He's not young in tennis terms and all his main rivals are a similar age. Can't see how that's a selling point.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #100
country flag arm

Quote:
Of course Djokovic is young. He's a tennis player. They're all young!

The question is what makes him different.
Sets him apart from Roger.

My point is that you were claiming that the fact Rafa looks younger than Nole is one of the reasons behind the differences in marketability. I absolutely disagree! If you check Rafa's print ads for most brands he represents, they even try to make him look older. While Nole still looks young, but not too young. Appropriate young.

But with this I am not trying to say Nole is more marketable , because I don't think he is!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #101
country flag arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
He's not young in tennis terms and all his main rivals are a similar age. Can't see how that's a selling point.
How many times do I have to say that I am not arguing he has more or better selling points. I NEVER claimed that.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #102
country flag leng jai

Quote:
How many times do I have to say that I am not arguing he has more or better selling points. I NEVER claimed that.
Well you said being young was part of his image, no?

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #103
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The relevance of this post to the thread is very low. A lot of people are "worthy" if things but it doesn't mean they get them.
I'm just saying that the potential is there. He's basically at a setback by having to emerge from the large shadow of "Fedal"

Quote:
It's not about worthiness. It's about what you can sell. The most commercially successful golfer in history? Greg Norman. Complete d-bag, limited major titles, reputation for choking. However, he had a bunch of advantages:

1) He was goodlooking and had a sexy Australian accent
2) He played a very aggressive and exciting style of golf
3) He was very careful to cultivate a laidback, Crocodile Dundee image for himself

30 years later, 'The Shark' is still a bigger and more durable brand than Tiger Woods ever was - and Norman has had his share of private-life controversies. Greg Norman is now the prototype for any athlete in the world who wants to turn their sporting success into a multimillion dollar independent business.

Djokovic is nice and very successful. But in the eyes of the casual fan, there isn't a lot that makes him stand out. Sure he wins a lot of tournaments but his brand of tennis isn't flashy and exciting. Sure he's kind of charismatic, but only people who follow tennis pretty closely get an appreciation for that. You don't get an appreciation for someone's personality during a 30 second TV commercial, or in a magazine ad.
Err....how do you know what the "casual tennis fan" thinks of him? Is there some poll I missed?

And as for "flashy, exciting" tennis: SURELY you don't think that that's Nadal's selling point.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #104
country flag arm

Quote:
Well you said being young was part of his image, no?
Which he is. First you're saying that the general public matters and not the tennis fans. But now he is not young for a tennis player. Well he absolutely looks and is young for the general public, no?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #105
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

So much bullying going on in here.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote