novak djokovic endorsements potential - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #76
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: novak djokovic endorsements potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Nole fan, can I ask you what you think Djokovic's image is/could be? What's the natural demographic that he appeals to?
While I can understand the claims that he has a "generic image", that question is pretty easy for a djoko fan such as Nina and I.

Young, rebel and and entertainer.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #77
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
But Novak himself is incredibly worthy of endorsements. Nice-looking guy, articulate, charismatic, wins a lot, friendly, etc.
It's not about worthiness. It's about what you can sell. The most commercially successful golfer in history? Greg Norman. Complete d-bag, limited major titles, reputation for choking. However, he had a bunch of advantages:

1) He was goodlooking and had a sexy Australian accent
2) He played a very aggressive and exciting style of golf
3) He was very careful to cultivate a laidback, Crocodile Dundee image for himself

30 years later, 'The Shark' is still a bigger and more durable brand than Tiger Woods ever was - and Norman has had his share of private-life controversies. Greg Norman is now the prototype for any athlete in the world who wants to turn their sporting success into a multimillion dollar independent business.

Djokovic is nice and very successful. But in the eyes of the casual fan, there isn't a lot that makes him stand out. Sure he wins a lot of tournaments but his brand of tennis isn't flashy and exciting. Sure he's kind of charismatic, but only people who follow tennis pretty closely get an appreciation for that. You don't get an appreciation for someone's personality during a 30 second TV commercial, or in a magazine ad.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #78
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

When Federer came up in the tennis world, there's a void there with the most marketable player was Agassi who's near the end of career. Hewitt did not have the best image worldwide. Safin was too unpredictable although he is very charismatic. Guga was on the decline with his hip problem. Same for Ferrero. Roger's only competition (in the endorsement field) was Roddick who happens to be his pigeon. Then Nadal has risen to take up the market that Federer's image cannot fill.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #79
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

$15,000 a year for sure, its the least Nole deserves
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #80
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

No worthwhile company wants their product endorsed by this clown.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #81
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
No worthwhile company wants their product endorsed by this clown.
shame Croatia has no good tennis players these days man
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #82
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nole fan, can I ask you what you think Djokovic's image is/could be? What's the natural demographic that he appeals to?
I know the question's not for me, but here's my two cents:

Djokovic's image: the ironman of tennis, a tough competitor, warrior, gladiator who will leave everything he has while on battle, and yet he can be funny, warm, playful and charismatic off court.

His story is completely inspirational: how he triumphed by working, dreaming and never giving up

Natural demographic: young people with a drive to succeed, he should be a much more suited role-model for American kids than Roger or Rafa: he's the quintessential self-made man.

I've seen it here in Mexico: every young tennis player wants to be like Novak, they want to be the winners of fierce battles, they love his roars and passion. Novak represents youth and power.

That's for now...in the future, if he keeps being at the top of the game, his image will change.

And I hate to state the obvious, but in real life, Novak is the most sophisticated of the top 4. Hands down. Rafa lives with his family and doesn't speak good English, Andy is too introverted, Roger is just a famous guy obsessed with fashion and celebrities...Novak is much more educated and sophisticated in thought, his language skills are amazing, I saw him interacting with Cameron and with Prince William. He's a natural charmer.

His commercial disadvantage has been the fact that he's Eastern European, if he were American, Canadian or British, with those results and that personality, he would already be at the top of the heap... But he will overcome that disadvantage with his reslts and his charm: he's already doing it.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #83
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Djokovic is nice and very successful. But in the eyes of the casual fan, there isn't a lot that makes him stand out. Sure he wins a lot of tournaments but his brand of tennis isn't flashy and exciting. Sure he's kind of charismatic, but only people who follow tennis pretty closely get an appreciation for that. You don't get an appreciation for someone's personality during a 30 second TV commercial, or in a magazine ad.
This is pretty much it. There is no niche left Novak can fill right now, not to mention the fact that with his background and long time number 3-status he never was an obvious choice. Roger and Rafa have soaked up a large part of the market. Djokovic messed up the black and white narrative that existed for years between those two and people still haven´t gotten quite used to it. There is only so much he can do to make himself more marketable (his game is not flashy, his personality is, but doesn´t come enough to the fore yet) , but he has simply come up against a wall he can not go through. Only when Roger and Rafa are at the end of their careers do I expect Novak to become clear top dog in this department.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #84
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
While I can understand the claims that he has a "generic image", that question is pretty easy for a djoko fan such as Nina and I.

Young, rebel and and entertainer.
See, this is the problem. In the eyes of the casual tennis fan, everything about his image contradicts that.

Young? Nope. Here's a photo of Nadal and a photo of Djokovic, both from last year's Australian Open:

Show a random person with no knowledge of either player and ask them who's younger, and I guarantee you that every single one will say Nadal - even though he's a year older. The hair, the clothes - it's all completely unfashionable. Seriously, add a cap with a neck flap to that picture and you've got Ivan Lendl circa 1989.

Rebel? What about him is rebellious? He's never pushed the boundaries of fashion like Agassi. He doesn't have the reputation of being a brat like McEnroe. He's never got up the nose of the establishment at Wimbledon. His interviews are polite and politically correct. He even has the sort of hairstyle they give you when you sign up for the army!

Entertainer? How? To the casual tennis fan, his style his very boring. He doesn't have the jaw-droppingly elegant strokes of Federer. He doesn't have a distinctive picture-perfect signature shot like Nadal's lasso forehand. He makes his little jokes, like his impersonations of other players and his skit with Leconte at the AO, but only die-hard tennis fans see or care about this stuff. It's not something you can capture in a photograph or a TV commercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I know the question's not for me, but here's my two cents:

Djokovic's image: the ironman of tennis, a tough competitor, warrior, gladiator who will leave everything he has while on battle, and yet he can be funny, warm, playful and charismatic off court.
The bottom line is that none of this stuff is conveyed by the way he looks. Nadal LOOKS like a tough, primal competitor. Federer LOOKS like a suave, sophisticated charismatic guy.

Djokovic might be tougher and more charismatic than both put together but he sure as shit doesn't look like it. In fact he mostly just looks like a regular guy who happens to be really, really good at tennis.

This is the problem. For 99% of consumers, personality doesn't equal image. Djokovic's image doesn't make people want to aspire to be anything, and as such he is a pretty poor commercial option (relatively speaking).

Last edited by Caesar1844 : 01-30-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #85
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Caesar, first those photos are rigged. I could find 2 photos which would show the exact opposite and everyone would say Nole is the youngest.

But overall I agree with you, like I said before, I understand that to the general public he comes accross rather generic. I have said it twice in this thread already. Although I should warn you, that your arguments are relatively debatable, and it wouldn't be hard to argument against them.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #86
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

talking about money is so ugly
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #87
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
shame Croatia has no good tennis players these days man
pain.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #88
country flag choppaa

choppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See, this is the problem. In the eyes of the casual tennis fan, everything about his image contradicts that.

Young? Nope. Not only is he not fashionable, but the way he dresses, cuts his hair, etc. makes him look way older than he is. Here's a photo of Nadal and a photo of Djokovic, both from last year's Australian Open:

Show a random person with no knowledge of either player and ask them who's younger, and I guarantee you that every single one will say Nadal - even though he's a year older.

Rebel? What about him is rebellious? He's never pushed the boundaries of fashion like Agassi. He doesn't have the reputation of being a brat like McEnroe. He's never got up the nose of the establishment at Wimbledon. His interviews are polite and politically correct. He even has the sort of hairstyle they give you when you sign up for the army!

Entertainer? How? To the casual tennis fan, his style his very boring. He doesn't have the elegant strokes of Federer. He doesn't have a distinctive picture-perfect signature shot like Nadal's lasso forehand. He makes his little jokes, like his impersonations of other players and his skit with Leconte at the AO, but only die-hard tennis fans see or care about this stuff. It's not something you can capture in a photograph or a TV commercial.

This is the problem. For 99% of consumers, personality doesn't equal image. Hell, as plenty of commercially successful athletes have shown, personality isn't even a factor. Djokovic doesn't make people want to aspire to be anything, and as such he is a pretty poor commercial option (relatively speaking).
Oh, the Caesar guy who still tries to present his views of Djokovic as absolute facts, meh. You are wrong on majority of stuff you wrote. You know, your claims will not become the truth even if you are repeating it million times like a parrot. You don't have any idea how much more popular he is compared to last few years yet you still THINK that his popularity is on the same level from 5 years ago just because you like only to criticize. Look at how he was welcomed today in Belgium, almost all kids around him. Gee, he is pretty unpopular, I could have sworn they only knew about Henin and not some no-name number one tennis player
choppaa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #89
country flag Caesar1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Caesar, first those photos are rigged. I could find 2 photos which would show the exact opposite and everyone would say Nole is the youngest.
They're really not. I googled 'Novak Djokovic AO 2012' and 'Rafael Nadal AO 2012' and took pretty much the first two photos of them celebrating a victory that I saw.

They were just demonstrating the difference that you see all the time. Nadal has long hair, he experiments with current fashions like headbands, sleeveless shirts and capri pants. He always wears bold bright colours and clean lines, which are very popular with iPod-generation kids.

Djokovic has a regulation, practical and functional hairstyle. Pretty much every set of tennis clothes he wears is very traditional - shorts and shirt with a traditional collar, that sort of thing. It's just completely different.

I understand that die-hard tennis fans on here have a very different image of Nole because they watch him all the time, know his personality, know his backstory, are familiar with the nuances in his game. But that doesn't really mean shit. It's all about the snapshot, the soundbite. I don't really see any possibility for his image to be reworked substantially this late in his career.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #90
country flag Caesar1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppaa View Post
Oh, the Caesar guy who still tries to present his views of Djokovic as absolute facts, meh. You are wrong on majority of stuff you wrote. You know, your claims will not become the truth even if you are repeating it million times like a parrot. You don't have any idea how much more popular he is compared to last few years yet you still THINK that his popularity is on the same level from 5 years ago just because you like only to criticize. Look at how he was welcomed today in Belgium, almost all kids around him. Gee, he is pretty unpopular, I could have sworn they only knew about Henin and not some no-name number one tennis player
Way to miss the point dude.

The guy is the number 1 tennis player in the world. Of course he is popular. We're talking about relative success here though.