novak djokovic endorsements potential - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #61
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: novak djokovic endorsements potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
And what image has Nadal got? My god, the guy is ugly and unsophisticated. Don't fool yourself, all his marketability is because of his achievements and his rivalry with federer.

Armani was just one campaign. Nike is his sponsor since he started as a tennis player, Nole could have it if he wanted to. Just needs to wear the clothes, but he prefers to be in a brand with no one else. Babolat is his racket sponsor. Pokerstars? the guy likes to play online poker. Richard Mille? I'll take Audemar Piguet anytime, or Rolex. Nothing that exciting really. Nole just signed to IMG and is starting to capitalise now on his image. Wait a couple of years and you will see.

And about Sharapova... yeah, she brought some fans to Nole when they did that Head campaign together, but it wasn't a million, jesus.
Maybe some thousands, nothing else. Obviously you don't follow him on facebook as I do, how would you know?
Not sure why you are making it into some sort of contest between Nadal and Djokovic based on looks and personality.

These are simple facts. Nadal has more endorsments -- more than double in fact -- $25m vs $9m. Whether you think he's ugly & unsophisticated doesn't matter - clearly high fashion brands like Armani and Lanvin did not. That Armani campaign had Beckham, then Ronaldo, then Nadal. Novak has not been in a campaign of anything like that stature. Similarly for all his bad looks Nadal is sought out for videos with Shakira and photoshoots with Bar Refaeli. Again, his image is one of being a good looking Spaniard - you can choose to disagree.

As for IMG -- I presume you know the real facts behind this i.e., IMG is struggling and rumoured to be sold soon. Federer left last year and so did Nadal i.e., their two biggest stars chose not to renew their contracts and took their agents with them. They signed Novak as a replacement. IMG may do things but they didn't go to Novak because they didn't want Fedal -- if anything it was the other way around.

Insulting Nadal doesn't get past the very basic premise based on facts - Nadal is more well known, popular and marketable. Period. It has NOTHING to do with how successful you are. Again - look at how much Serena Williams has from endorsements vs Sharapova - it's 15 slams vs 4 but Sharapova's endorsements are ridiculously high.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #62
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Not sure why you are making it into some sort of contest between Nadal and Djokovic based on looks and personality.

These are simple facts. Nadal has more endorsments -- more than double in fact -- $25m vs $9m. Whether you think he's ugly & unsophisticated doesn't matter - clearly high fashion brands like Armani and Lanvin did not. That Armani campaign had Beckham, then Ronaldo, then Nadal. Novak has not been in a campaign of anything like that stature. Similarly for all his bad looks Nadal is sought out for videos with Shakira and photoshoots with Bar Refaeli. Again, his image is one of being a good looking Spaniard - you can choose to disagree.

As for IMG -- I presume you know the real facts behind this i.e., IMG is struggling and rumoured to be sold soon. Federer left last year and so did Nadal i.e., their two biggest stars chose not to renew their contracts and took their agents with them. They signed Novak as a replacement. IMG may do things but they didn't go to Novak because they didn't want Fedal -- if anything it was the other way around.

Insulting Nadal doesn't get past the very basic premise based on facts - Nadal is more well known, popular and marketable. Period. It has NOTHING to do with how successful you are. Again - look at how much Serena Williams has from endorsements vs Sharapova - it's 15 slams vs 4 but Sharapova's endorsements are ridiculously high.
Women, more than anything, are valued on their looks. You should know that, bad example.
What I'm saying is that it's just a question of time. The more time Nole spends at nº1 and winning slams, the more endorsements he will get. It's just a matter of popularity. And that he is not from a big country also hurts him, undoubtedly.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #63
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Nadal and Federer both provide their own unique image. Djokovic is somewhat generic and not as desirable to imitate.
Quote:
This.
Ajde.

The sad just because you think he is ugly and unsophisticated doesn't negate his marketability. Sometimes being unique is more marketable than simply being good. When Nadal came on tour he wore tank tops, bandanas and three quarter pants which combined with his physique cultivates a His on court demeanour was the definition of exuberance. He sprinted to the coin toss and then sprinted back to the baseline for the warmup. He did this in every match. His celebrations were always enthusiastic and over the top. Nadal's image caters to the casual/younger market which synergizes with Federer in the sense that it's the opposite of his appeal. His style of tennis is unlike anything casual fans have seen before. A lefty with extreme topspin and unorthodox technique is something people who don't normally watch tennis are going to pay attention to. I guarantee that if you go to junior clubs around the world there are legions of mini Nadals around.

Djokovic on the other hand is generic is most facets. His hairstyle is generic. His outfits are generic. As good as his game is, it's style is generic too. Even his biggest rivalry is a generic grindfest that most people are already tiring of. It doesn't help that he undoubtably alienated a portion of tennis fans with his behaviour a few years ago.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #64
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Ajde.

The sad just because you think he is ugly and unsophisticated doesn't negate his marketability. Sometimes being unique is more marketable than simply being good. When Nadal came on tour he wore tank tops, bandanas and three quarter pants which combined with his physique cultivates a His on court demeanour was the definition of exuberance. He sprinted to the coin toss and then sprinted back to the baseline for the warmup. He did this in every match. His celebrations were always enthusiastic and over the top. Nadal's image caters to the casual/younger market which synergizes with Federer in the sense that it's the opposite of his appeal. His style of tennis is unlike anything casual fans have seen before. A lefty with extreme topspin and unorthodox technique is something people who don't normally watch tennis are going to pay attention to. I guarantee that if you go to junior clubs around the world there are legions of mini Nadals around.

Djokovic on the other hand is generic is most facets. His hairstyle is generic. His outfits are generic. As good as his game is, it's style is generic too. Even his biggest rivalry is a generic grindfest that most people are already tiring of. It doesn't help that he undoubtably alienated a portion of tennis fans with his behaviour a few years ago.
We can agree to disagree. On the last part at least. I can see where you're going with Nadal (maybe the old Nadal though, he hasn't got those attributes now). But had there not been the Fedal rivalry... i don't think Nadal would have been so marketable.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #65
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Women, more than anything, are valued on their looks. You should know that, bad example.
What I'm saying is that it's just a question of time. The more time Nole spends at nº1 and winning slams, the more endorsements he will get. It's just a matter of popularity. And that he is not from a big country also hurts him, undoubtedly.
And you think looks don't matter for men? Why do you think Beckham is the most valuable footballer in the world endorsements wise? Certainly not his Messi or Ronaldo like skills.... Someone like Stepanek would never be a big endorsement guy even if he won 20 slams - those are facts sadly. I've not said Novak won't get more endorsements - I'm just saying he won't exceed Nadal and Federer. He got to no.1 in 2011 - he's had coming up to 2 years of time at the very top - so I don't think more slams will change much really. There are intangibles that matter and he can't change the fact that he's from Serbia and has a difficult name. Azarenka was no.1 all of last year, is not bad to look at and still has very few endorsements.

You need the whole package - talent; looks of some kind - be it classy like Fed or more boyish like Nadal; epic matches to get into public consciousness (Sharapova won Wimbledon at 17 - more memorable than Azarenka winning Aus Open at 22); rivalries; background from well known country with a good image etc. (Note that Sharapova seems practically American most of the time! Most people don't even know where Belarus, where Vika is from, is on a map.)

All in all, Novak is not going to be crying about money anytime soon. But in his career he will not earn more from endorsements than Nadal and Federer, no matter what success he has in the future. He'll be 26 this year - again hardly like he's a new bright young prospect.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #66
country flag Nole fan

Hey, where is that infographic you posted a couple of seconds ago, Tecktonak? That proved my thesis by the way.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #67
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #68
country flag Nole fan

Exactly.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #69
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

tomic
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #70
country flag Ash86

The above graphic doesn't prove anything. Usually the long you're in the tournament the more tweets there will be about you. Nadal won that social media thing last year...

If we're looking at social media interest it's simple - look at how many twitter and FB fans Nadal and Federer have. Nadal is the most followed tennis player on twitter. He's more famous and probably can have a wider fan base as he's popular in Latin America, Europe, States etc... Think I've said my bit now - we'll see when they all retire I guess who was right
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #71
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
The above graphic doesn't prove anything. Usually the long you're in the tournament the more tweets there will be about you. Nadal won that social media thing last year...

If we're looking at social media interest it's simple - look at how many twitter and FB fans Nadal and Federer have. Nadal is the most followed tennis player on twitter. He's more famous and probably can have a wider fan base as he's popular in Latin America, Europe, States etc... Think I've said my bit now - we'll see when they all retire I guess who was right
He has 11 slams, of course he has more fans. You gain facebook and twitter fans over the time. Nadal has been at the very top for the last 7 years.
I know you're a rafatard, it's allright.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #72
country flag Ash86

Quote:
He has 11 slams, of course he has more fans. You gain facebook and twitter fans over the time. Nadal has been at the very top for the last 7 years.
I know you're a rafatard, it's allright.
Haha - because you're objective right and not swayed at all by your Nole support. I've made valid arguments, based on examples that aren't just about Nadal and Federer, why Novak is unlikely to get lots of endorsements that propel him above Fedal. You've not said anything other than as long as he keeps winning, he'll keep getting more popular. That's just not true. Most tennis fans are fans of at least one of the big 4 already - he'll likely gain more fans as he goes but since he's been on the scene since 2006 and winning slams since 2008, we can stop treating Novak like some new kid whose popularity and success are yet to be seen.

As I said, we shall see.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #73
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

With this AO draw they just make Federer even more popular,People feels an injustice with that draw to Federer. Since the start of AO he has got more than 400 thousand new fans on his FB.The man
just sells tennis. Murray was nowhere to see him he just came to play Federer in SF. Ok he gave his best to defeat a bit tired Federer but in the final he was wreck. Could not push Novak to 5 sets. How with this kind of tennis they will sell the game over the world . The final was more than boring . Djokovic Ferrer was BS, Who do you think people will want to watch next time. Federer knows exactly what people want to see he is a showman . He is very very smart and absolutely enigma. No one knows what to expect from him, Once he is done then he got to number one .Lost to Murray in SF after brutal 5 sets match with Tsonga he is done.
Murray lost to Djokovic after his tough SF because of blister,was tired and so on. That even makes people to follow Fed more,
pepita1964 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #74
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Nole fan, can I ask you what you think Djokovic's image is/could be? What's the natural demographic that he appeals to?

Last edited by Caesar1844 : 01-30-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #75
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic could be sponsorless and only have 10 Facebook fans for all I care. I'm not in it for the popularity contest BS. This isn't high school (or is it? ) A popularity contest won't win you a slam

Anyway, as for whether he will reach Federer's levels of endorsement potential? Ummm, probably not. But Novak himself is incredibly worthy of endorsements. Nice-looking guy, articulate, charismatic, wins a lot, friendly, etc.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote