novak djokovic endorsements potential - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #136
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: novak djokovic endorsements potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Are we talking about figures now or earning potential in the future?

I think Nole will be raking in mega bucks because he is going to be dominating the tour longer than Nadal.

Plus he has a look that will work with luxury brands. Nadal does not.

I agree he needs to stop the "i am djoker" bit.
success on tour has nothing to do with how brandable and popular you are. Pete Sampras is one of the most successful players of all time yet he never came even CLOSE to getting the # of endorsement deals and popularity that Agassi had.

Nadal and Djokovic are nearly the same age and as other posters have mentioned, Rafael has 3 x the revenue in endorsements, 11.5 m - 2m? Nadal-Novak FB fans, is much more well known.

the reality is that Djokovic dominated incredibly in 2011, and if he ever was going to get insanely popular it would have been then, everyone was talking about him, it was his biggest chance to become the big tennis name/icon. it didn't happen.

he will never come close to Nadal or Federer, because the two of them each hold on a special niche of extreme popularity in tennis. Federer with core tennis enthusiasts and people who appreciate the game for its class and beauty, and Nadal attracts the average tennis fan who loves a fighter with charisma.

Novak fills no real void. for a while at least he being very humorous on court but less so these days. if he would have been a huge icon it would've happened in the last 5 years, I mean he's been in the top 3 for that long

his potential is probably to stay where he is at now for quite a while. But Nadal and Federer are not matchable, they are probably among the most popular tennis players to ever play the game just because they have very unique footprints (figuratively speaking)

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #137
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
The boy has too much money already and personally I don't give a "flying fuck" as Americans would say, about his "endorsement potential" or how much more money he will make. Let him think about that, what's that to me? If anything, I hope that the potential is as small as possible so I won't watch stupid ads. (Although I don't own a tv set at all)

Ideally he will be hated but respected as Lendl used to be.

btw this consumerism went too far anyway, in general.

Just saying, otherwise this topic is sorry for talking about something I have little interest for and even less knowledge.
Best post in this thread. Just when you thought the level of discussion in GM couldn't possibly get any more futile, this thread comes along Better get back to discussing who the GOAT is, who played in a strong or in a weak era or what not
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #138
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my point all along was that the youth aspect is basically a given in the first place. I still don't see how he gives off a more youthful image than Nadal? Interesting point about Uniqlo but my perception is that Federer has the Asian market in his back pocket already.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #139
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
In all seriousness, is this likely?

I mean I have no doubt he could build on his popularity to have a successful political career. Tons of sports stars have done it - Imran Khan, Manny Pacquiao, etc. I am just wondering if politics is something he is interested in.
Vlade Divac is the president of Olympic Committee or something like that, Nole could probably achieve something similar somewhere in the future, if he wants it that is. The president would be a bit too much, political parties would generally back up their own stalwarts, however tempting it might be to run a famous face
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #140
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon Lenders, where's your obligatory "Djokovic would get more endorsements if he was a ballbasher" post?

A thread without you reminding people that the solution to everything is being more aggressive and hitting the ball harder just doesn't feel complete.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #141

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It actually kind of is, and this kind of demonstrates the disconnect between the dedicated tennis watcher and the casual consumer.

You and I look at Nadal and we see loopy shots, a spinny nothing-serve, ultra-defensiveness, grinding wins.

The average consumer looks at Nadal and sees a flamboyant and distinctive lasso forehand, a big physique, and those still photos of him smashing the crap out of a forehand with sweat spraying off him. He LOOKS like power, aggressiveness - excitement.

Perception > reality.
this ^^^ whether it's reality or not (depends on opinion), a player who will get ginormous endorsements must attract the average joe who doesn't care much about tennis in some way.

Nadal and Federer do that.

but Djokovic so far has failed to do that in his career and unfortunately his career is half over. I actually agree that he is indeed funny on and off the court sometimes, but I feel he has regressed from that and gotten more serious in the last year or two. Djokovic just has no outlet to become some mega huge star with the general world public. doesn't have a clear enough image

Rafael Nadal
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #142
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Best post in this thread. Just when you thought the level of discussion in GM couldn't possibly get any more futile, this thread comes along Better get back to discussing who the GOAT is, who played in a strong or in a weak era or what not
I don't see how discussing the marketability of players is any worse than the glory hunting or off court tripe that frequently gets discussed here.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #143
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It actually kind of is, and this kind of demonstrates the disconnect between the dedicated tennis watcher and the casual consumer.

You and I look at Nadal and we see loopy shots, a spinny nothing-serve, ultra-defensiveness, grinding wins.

The average consumer looks at Nadal and sees a flamboyant and distinctive lasso forehand, a big physique, and those still photos of him smashing the crap out of a forehand with sweat spraying off him. He LOOKS like power, aggressiveness - excitement.

Perception > reality.
So when the average tennis fan is bombarded with ESPN's nonstop portrayal of Novak as powerful and aggressive with his endless shirt ripping.....

The average tennis fan thinks, "How boring", right?
MIMIC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #144
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Federer owns the global market, so his presence in a particular regional market is not relevant; no other tennis player can compete with him anyway. But he'd never endorse a brand like Uniqlo, because it's not pretentious enough and that's not the image that he projects. Djokovic, on the other hand, doesn't fit into the same mould as Fed, obviously, and I think the mould that suits him is pretty much encapsulated by the Uniqlo deal: young, trendy and hip. It helps that Uniqlo is affordable to most young people which might make him more relatable to them. Contrast this to Fed: he endorses things like Rolex and Mercedes and the champagne brand that I can't spell. They're not things that a normal young person would buy and not things that a person would call 'trendy' either.

As for Nadal, I dunno, the receding hairline doesn't really help him in the youthful department... But seriously, Nole doesn't have to be younger necessarily, or look younger. The fact that he looks young in itself only adds to the image that I think is best for him and which sets him apart from Fedal. (In the same vein, he shouldn't do the warrior thing because that's monopolised by Nadal.)
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #145

Quote:
It's not about worthiness. It's about what you can sell. The most commercially successful golfer in history? Greg Norman. Complete d-bag, limited major titles, reputation for choking. However, he had a bunch of advantages:

1) He was goodlooking and had a sexy Australian accent
2) He played a very aggressive and exciting style of golf
3) He was very careful to cultivate a laidback, Crocodile Dundee image for himself

30 years later, 'The Shark' is still a bigger and more durable brand than Tiger Woods ever was - and Norman has had his share of private-life controversies. Greg Norman is now the prototype for any athlete in the world who wants to turn their sporting success into a multimillion dollar independent business.

Djokovic is nice and very successful. But in the eyes of the casual fan, there isn't a lot that makes him stand out. Sure he wins a lot of tournaments but his brand of tennis isn't flashy and exciting. Sure he's kind of charismatic, but only people who follow tennis pretty closely get an appreciation for that. You don't get an appreciation for someone's personality during a 30 second TV commercial, or in a magazine ad.
this is accurate, there are plenty of 'nice, semi notable' things about Djokovic, but there is nothing starking that really makes some random sportsfan notice him and get excited with attention. nothing gross intended by that either! :0
Imagine Nadal whipping a forehand and yelling vamos, or Federer gracefully dancing across the court like a swan- it's just iconic. you need something iconic about you (besides shirt ripping) to get the general public to love you and huge endorsements to fly in

Rafael Nadal
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #146
country flag leng jai

Nole would benefit from picking better outfits. They are generally too pedestrian and often plain atrocious.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #147
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
I don't see how discussing the marketability of players is any worse than the glory hunting or off court tripe that frequently gets discussed here.
At least the gloryhuting is generally tennis related, I've actually been compelled to watch highlights/full matches of old matches quite a few times due to such threads where tards unleash their complete ignorance about tennis pre-*insert year their player became a force*/in general. Although full of tardism and disinformation, threds created to rewrite tennis history and discredit player's achievements at least encourage people to brush up on tennis history and classic matches.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I know the question's not for me, but here's my two cents:

Djokovic's image: the ironman of tennis, a tough competitor, warrior, gladiator who will leave everything he has while on battle, and yet he can be funny, warm, playful and charismatic off court.

His story is completely inspirational: how he triumphed by working, dreaming and never giving up

Natural demographic: young people with a drive to succeed, he should be a much more suited role-model for American kids than Roger or Rafa: he's the quintessential self-made man.

I've seen it here in Mexico: every young tennis player wants to be like Novak, they want to be the winners of fierce battles, they love his roars and passion. Novak represents youth and power.

That's for now...in the future, if he keeps being at the top of the game, his image will change.

And I hate to state the obvious, but in real life, Novak is the most sophisticated of the top 4. Hands down. Rafa lives with his family and doesn't speak good English, Andy is too introverted, Roger is just a famous guy obsessed with fashion and celebrities...Novak is much more educated and sophisticated in thought, his language skills are amazing, I saw him interacting with Cameron and with Prince William. He's a natural charmer.

His commercial disadvantage has been the fact that he's Eastern European, if he were American, Canadian or British, with those results and that personality, he would already be at the top of the heap... But he will overcome that disadvantage with his reslts and his charm: he's already doing it.
acting like being a nice guy and having a cool self made story will make you automatically the most popular in a sport................ ITS ALL ABOUT LOOKS. it might sound vain but sports companies just care about how a player looks next to their product, what attitude, image do they give off? what you have to ask yourself is what does Novak Djokovic say next to a product? why does he compel you to buy it? Federer = class, style. Nadal = fighter, warrior, etc.

it's not to say it's impossible for Novak to find a niche and get huge as far as popularity and endorsements BUT he would need some kind of outlook, symbol etc. and being an educated nice guy sometimes isn't enough .... also frankly what does Djokovic care? why have this thread. it's not as though he's worrying about becoming the biggest endorsement sportsman in the world, he's rich and just won a grand slam. that's what matters. results

also Nadal's English has improved a lot jerk! listen to him soon, he's really much better at it grrrr

Rafael Nadal
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #149

Quote:
Nole would benefit from picking better outfits. They are generally too pedestrian and often plain atrocious.
they are pretty bad I agree, strange color combinations, and sometimes random patches for no reason

Rafael Nadal
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #150
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
....Roger is just a famous guy obsessed with fashion and celebrities...Novak is much more educated and sophisticated in thought, his language skills are amazing, I saw him interacting with Cameron and with Prince William.
. I missed this because I generally skip your posts on Novak but this special piece of tardish excellence may make me resume my tradition of putting stuff like this in my sig.

Quote:
This is fully correct. I really don't like any of his outfits after his yellow Adidas ones.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote