2013 Davis Cup Cheering Thread! Final: Czech Republic d. Serbia 3-2. - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #166
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The DC tie will be in Boise, Idaho

So SW in Indian Wells, SE in Miami and then NW in Boise
Idaho?Court?

Btw agree with Lee re-DC shenanigans

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #167
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Davis Cup Cheering Thread! R1 d Belguim! QF vs USA!

No idea but very likely fast hard court.

As Viktor said, the potatoes are very good there And the altitude is only about half of Denver, Colorado
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #168
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

ViktorOh dear,let's hope Serbia can still throw an egg in the hosts face

Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #169
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
But I am not criticizing the Serbian team in specific, everyone does it. I am not even criticizing teams, if the rules allow it, then I can perfectly understand why Nole or whoever would leave sooner.

But having dead rubbers like these, it does not help the tournament at all, IMO. And it is one of the reasons why I never really liked it in the first place.

And if Nole played, it wouldn't be a quality match, but why would you say it wouldn't be entertaining?
I think these rules also make the ties quite interesting. Every country submits a team of 4 players, and nobody else can play except them. The first day one always gets the #1 vs #2 players. The doubles can be anything. But then on Sunday, changes can be made. The first rubber has to be between the two #1's, but a country may decide to play a lower ranked player, as long as no matches are repeated. So Serbia had the right to choose any player to play Goffin, except Troicki. And the team captain can keep his choice secret until 1 hour before the match starts.

I don't know whether you remember the 2010 final: Troicki played a very long doubles match. Novak won his Sunday match and the tie was 2-2. Forget didn't think Serbia would dare to pick Troicki to play the decisive rubber: they bet on Tipsarevic, who was rested. That's why they chose Llodra to play. When Serbia chose Troicki, Forget was surprised. His strategy didn't consider Troicki and we know the result. I was very worried when I saw Troicki enter the court, but it worked just fine.

So winning a tie has to do with the tennis and sometimes with strategy, too. Thanks to those rules. So Serbia didn't break any rules against Belgium, and I'm sure they don't have to pay any fines: typical gossip to try and make Novak look bad.

Now, what to do with dead rubbers? There's no solution to that. But people buying tickets to Davis Cup ties know they are buying tickets for a team event, not for a particular player. And they know that dead rubbers can be played by any of the team members: or at least they should know. Look at the following head-line form an Idaho newspaper.

Boise will host Davis Cup tennis match between U.S., Djokovic

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

So the tie will be between the US and Novak Djokovic... I like Novak's chances.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #170
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Boise is so close!

But, I don't want to go if Nole isn't going to be there or maybe I do. I'll have to look at ticket prices.

Quote:
Ticket prices, set by the USTA, will range from $100 to $500 for a three-day pass, Bickham said. Tickets will go on sale to the public in late February. For more information, fans can call the U.S. Davis Cup hotline at (888) 484-8782 or visit www.usta.com/daviscup.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

571 Miles To Boise. An easy day's drive.

Taco Bell Arena.

Last edited by star : 02-05-2013 at 05:52 PM.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #171
country flag cinny

cinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is inherently an individual sport. You win or you lose, no point accumulation. That's why we always see direct knock-outs and rarely other types of format. Even the WTF may suffer from some 'dead' matches. The Davis Cup is still fun, and the dead rubbers are just part of the deal. The rule isn't enforced such that top players still have to play the dead rubbers because such rules are not reasonable and cannot be enforced. You already know that people on both sides will not put much effort into such matches, so you need to allow for flexibility instead. I think even lower rank players do not gain any points from dead rubbers.
cinny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #172
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Boise is so close!

But, I don't want to go if Nole isn't going to be there or maybe I do. I'll have to look at ticket prices.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

571 Miles To Boise. An easy day's drive.

Taco Bell Arena.
Potatoes plus Taco Bell.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #173
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Also I was surprised to learn that Boise is 2800+ feet. I thought it would be more. I guess it's down hill from here to Boise.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #174
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Also I was surprised to learn that Boise is 2800+ feet. I thought it would be more. I guess it's down hill from here to Boise.
It's uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, ..........
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #175
country flag Noleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It's uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, ..........
Sounds funLast i experienced that,i got sick

Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #176
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Not the most reliable source but Novak is committed to play QF in Boise

Wonder if the tater tots in Taco Bell Arena will taste better than the other Taco Bells
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #177
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

In Boise
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #178
country flag hazzard

hazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond reputehazzard has a reputation beyond repute

Tipsarevic decided not to play DC match against USA.It's all abuot Novak now.Not that he needs it.Clay season is coming soon after DC.
hazzard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #179
country flag Noleta

Any reason why he decided against it?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #180
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

He says his body is still recovering and that he can´t give it his best in best-of-3 matches on HC.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote