2013 Davis Cup Cheering Thread! Final: Czech Republic d. Serbia 3-2. - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #151
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Davic Cup Cheering Thread! R1 vs. Belguim! Day 2: Serbia d Belguim 3-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Well, they knew there might be dead rubber on last day and top guys usually woouldn't play. But it's still bad.
It's always bad. In DC, the matches should be decided before Saturday and not changed even if a team goes 3-0. The players should be forced to play the matches. ATP could give points as incentive.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #152
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Davic Cup Cheering Thread! R1 vs. Belguim! Day 2: Serbia d Belguim 3-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
It's always bad. In DC, the matches should be decided before Saturday and not changed even if a team goes 3-0. The players should be forced to play the matches. ATP could give points as incentive.
Top players won't even care about the points in live matches. But for lower rank players, that's excellent.

e.g. The points for Dancevic in his live match on Friday would be a HUGE boost to his ranking.

And if the players don't want to play, they can always claim they are injured
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #153
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Top players won't even care about the points in live matches. But for lower rank players, that's excellent.

e.g. The points for Dancevic in his live match on Friday would be a HUGE boost to his ranking.

And if the players don't want to play, they can always claim they are injured
It's just very unfair to those who pay for a Sunday ticket
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #154
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

It's a gamble. You either see an exciting match between two countries top guys or a very boring dead rubbers.

Like everyone would think it may be a dead rubber today between USA and Brazil. It ended up with a 5 sets thriller and now the deciding point is between the #2s.

Since today is SuperBowl day, the arena sounds more like the host is Brazil instead of US
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #155
country flag arm

Quote:
It's a gamble. You either see an exciting match between two countries top guys or a very boring dead rubbers.

Like everyone would think it may be a dead rubber today between USA and Brazil. It ended up with a 5 sets thriller and now the deciding point is between the #2s.

Since today is SuperBowl day, the arena sounds more like the host is Brazil instead of US
I went to DC in Belgrade once. I left on a Friday from Budapest, and I only had tickets for Sunday... I realize now what a gamble it was.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #156
country flag kalisita

kalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Davis Cup Cheering Thread! R1 d Belguim! QF vs USA!

I just now realized this was the "Davic Cup" cheering thread.
kalisita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #157
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
It's not right. I love him, and I am glad he didn't have to play more, but it's not right. People buy tickets.
Davis Cup is a team competition: people don't buy tickets to see a particular player, they buy tickets to see two countries' teams play.

Everybody knows that dead rubbers can be played by any players. And if the 4th rubber goes to 5 sets and both teams decide they don't want to play the 5th rubber, they can cancel it. Those are the rules.

It's always been like that, I don't understand why Novak should be fined. Was Wawrinka fined last year when he didn't show up on Sunday after Roger had thrown him under the bus? I don't think so. There were only dead rubbers left. I don't believe Novak was fined. It must be gossip: he didn't break any rules, nor did Serbia.

It's too much to expect a player to win a grand slam and instead of relaxing or celebrating, fly half the world to arrive, jet-lagged and exhausted to play for his country on a crappy court. They want him to risk an injury for a dead rubber? That would be ridiculous.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #158
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Brett Haber and James Blake were commentating the Querrey/Alves match today and speculate on the surface if US host Serbia in QF. James Blake said US should try a very fast hard court to make it difficult for Nole to play vs Isner and Querrey. And Brett said blue clay
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #159
country flag arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisita View Post
I just now realized this was the "Davic Cup" cheering thread.
Anything you write is gold, because you're good luck. As far as I'm concerned, You couldn't writen Roger's Cup and I wouldn't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
Davis Cup is a team competition: people don't buy tickets to see a particular player, they buy tickets to see two countries' teams play.

Everybody knows that dead rubbers can be played by any players. And if the 4th rubber goes to 5 sets and both teams decide they don't want to play the 5th rubber, they can cancel it. Those are the rules.

It's always been like that, I don't understand why Novak should be fined. Was Wawrinka fined last year when he didn't show up on Sunday after Roger had thrown him under the bus? I don't think so. There were only dead rubbers left. I don't believe Novak was fined. It must be gossip: he didn't break any rules, nor did Serbia.

It's too much to expect a player to win a grand slam and instead of relaxing or celebrating, fly half the world to arrive, jet-lagged and exhausted to play for his country on a crappy court. They want him to risk an injury for a dead rubber? That would be ridiculous.
I don't agree. Nole chose to play DC before he won the AO, but he also knew very well that anything less than reaching the final would be a failure. So it was his choice. As fan, I am very relieved and happy that he left, and who cares about the money he can pay them. But when I look at the situation with neutral eyes, I still don't blame Nole or criticize him, because the rules pretty much allow him to do this. But it shouldn't be allowed. It one of the reasons why I don't give a damn about DC, because situations like these make it a joke of a tournament to my eyes.

IMO, the matches should be decided long on Friday. All of them, and all should be played regardless of the score after Saturday.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #160
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Raquel, we don't know why Nole left on Saturday. Remember, he left before the match was officially over. And Troicki was injured. He went to hospital after the doubles match. The rules actually do not allow a team to replace players who are not on the 4 players roster. That's the reason Zimonjic who hasn't played a singles match in over 4 years had to pitch in because he and Pashanski were the only two players left. If you care to read the rule books for DC ties, you will find the organisation tried really hard to prevent this with enough room for strategies and injuries.

Anyway, even Nole played, it won't be an entertaining match. When the tie is decided on Saturday, there will be no ways to savage the Sunday schedule.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #161
country flag arm

But I am not criticizing the Serbian team in specific, everyone does it. I am not even criticizing teams, if the rules allow it, then I can perfectly understand why Nole or whoever would leave sooner.

But having dead rubbers like these, it does not help the tournament at all, IMO. And it is one of the reasons why I never really liked it in the first place.

And if Nole played, it wouldn't be a quality match, but why would you say it wouldn't be entertaining?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #162
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Imagine Nole out there trying not to get injured or if he treated it like exho matches in Rio or similar ones, that's kind of mocking Davis Cup, no?

Any idea to make dead rubbers go away? Because so far I don't see any suggestion.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #163
country flag arm

Quote:
Imagine Nole out there trying not to get injured and if he treated it like exho matches in Rio or similar ones, that's kind of mocking Davis Cup, no?
But it's ok for Zimonjic to be out there risking injury, just not Nole? I don't see how Nole deserves special treatment in that aspect. I know he is world number 1 and he just won a GS, which makes it even more impressive that we would sacrifice himself for the team. And I do not criticize him for his decision, even leaving on saturday if he has no other reason than getting home asap. But the court was risky for everyone, not just for him.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #164
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Zimonjic and Troicki were out of AO in the first week while Pashanski was not even in AO. Nole had to cancel his press on Monday in AO so he could fly out of Melbourne at 3am Monday morning so that he could make it to Belgium and had a day of practise on the court. He was much liable to get injured in this situation no matter the state of the court. And even Nole wanted to play, I doubt the team will let him.

Just remember, Serbia has to play US in April. If Zimonjic got injured in the dead rubber and cannot play in April, Serbia still has a chance but if Nole injured and out, Serbia's chance is close to zero.

It sounds cool but that's reality. Nole is the MVP of the team and the team will do everything to keep the MVP healthy.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #165
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

The DC tie will be in Boise, Idaho

So SW in Indian Wells, SE in Miami and then NW in Boise