Becker discusses his favorite rivalries, Edberg and Djokovic-Murray domination - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Becker discusses his favorite rivalries, Edberg and Djokovic-Murray domination

Before any of you start moaning about how uninteresting it is to hear this or that 'mug' say something about the game, I still think some genuine tennis fans will enjoy this article by Becker. If not, tough luck.

Quote:
In taking his fourth Australian Open title against Andy Murray he knew exactly how he wanted to play from the outset, and after almost four hours he was winning the battle both physically and emotionally.

This is what happens in a great rivalry. The preparation becomes easier, because you understand the other guy’s game inside out.

I remember from my confrontations with Stefan Edberg that I knew every one of his qualities and weaknesses. We played three successive Wimbledon finals against each other from 1988 to 1990, and quickly I was able to work out his favourite shot, his least effective weapon.

This is how Djokovic approached his second grand slam final against Murray: his knowledge of his opponent helped him to stay sharp, to dominate the centre of the court, to control the rallies.
By the fourth set he was forcing Murray to make all the running and if you play like that, eventually you are going to beat anybody.

Edberg and I came from an era with far more serve-and-volley players, and this was the style that defined us. I had a little more power than Stefan, whereas he had the greater mobility.
But the best players now stay back, because they are able to hit winners from the back of the court.

The trick is to remain aggressive even though you are a counter-puncher. This is where Djokovic has improved beyond recognition over the past two years, and he proved again in Melbourne that he is the master behind the baseline.

We might be tempted to say after this performance that Djokovic holds the upper hand over Murray. But we should note that in the last two slam finals, they still stand at one victory apiece. They are awfully close.

Djokovic is the world No1, so I have to put him slightly ahead, but Murray has been more impressive than anybody in challenging him point for point.

They will be contesting many more of these finals over the next three years. Even though I would never rule out Roger Federer for as long as he plays the game, this rivalry is here for good.

Mind games always come into a duel like theirs but I would not overestimate them. Both players were mentally very impressive in this match, but what I noticed most strongly was how far Djokovic has advanced tactically in just the last three months. He did not play so aggressively either in New York, or in his final against Federer at the O2 in November.

People debate so much about all the work that Murray has done on his fitness in Miami during the off-season, but we forget that Djokovic has put in the same effort, if not more. It is simply that he does not like to talk about it.

Yes, Murray was affected by the feather in the second-set tie-break and yes, he cursed a lot, but the crucial factor was that Djokovic found a different level, in his skill and his intensity. He played on the front foot throughout the whole match and by the end Murray had nothing left in the tank.

For the first two sets Murray played well but in a slam final you have to seize your chances. Not many come your way, especially against Djokovic, so when he was break point up early in the second set and failed to capitalise, you sensed the momentum turning. I was shouting at the time, ‘Oh my God! He has got to do it now!’ But he did not grasp his opportunity.

In the third set Djokovic broke for the first time in the match and then essentially ran away with it, partly because you could see that Murray was struggling with the blisters on his left foot.
I would say that Murray was partly a victim of the scheduling in Australia, because whoever plays a long semi-final on Friday night is always at a disadvantage if the final goes long, too.

The alternative argument is that the winner on Friday is riding on positive emotion, which can carry him through. This almost happened with Murray, but he and Djokovic have a history of long matches and once this one hit the three-hour mark, you could tell he was feeling the effects on his body.

In terms of his mentality, I have seen Murray much worse. I do not believe he was nervous or tentative and his swearing should still be allowed, because as spectators we love it. He suffered instead from the fact that Djokovic was the one taking all the risks. Truly, the better man won.

But Murray needs a great rival to help him reach the next stage. To become a multiple grand slam champion he appreciates that he has to erase all his weaknesses, that he cannot hope to attack a player as good as Djokovic if he does not change his game slightly. It is a natural progression.

I found that towards the end of my career, Pete Sampras became my toughest rival, because he took his attacking abilities to a different plane.

In the same vein, Djokovic’s phenomenal talents are all the motivation Murray needs to be the best player he can possibly be.

Becker’s top three rivalries

1. Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe: As I was only 12 at the time of their great Wimbledon final in 1980, this is about as far back as I can remember. Borg’s ice-man personality and McEnroe’s aggression made the perfect blend.

2. Pete Sampras v Andre Agassi: In the final years of my career I played both these guys on many occasions and they were always wonderful to watch together. Sampras was the ultimate serve-and-volleyer, and Agassi the perfect returner.

3. Roger Federer v Rafael Nadal: Considering these two players hold 26 grand slam titles between them, theirs is a difficult rivalry to beat. Their 2008 Wimbledon final was the best match I ever witnessed.
Also there is an interesting interview with Mats Wilander here.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becker discusses his favorite rivalries, Edberg and Djokovic-Murray domination

Nobody said great players were also great people. Another past great who has prostituted himself out to the ATP as a mouthpiece for whatever crap they want. Just like McEnroe and Wilander who whore themselves out everyday as commentators, saying ridiculous things about Nadull, Fakervic, and Mugray, looks like Becker is getting in the game. Can't wait until he says Fakervic has the best volleys he's ever seen because of the AO final, even better that Nadull (who has better volleys than Federer as we know thanks to McEnroe).
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
country flag JarkaFish

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becker discusses his favorite rivalries, Edberg and Djokovic-Murray domination

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
Nobody said great players were also great people. Another past great who has prostituted himself out to the ATP as a mouthpiece for whatever crap they want. Just like McEnroe and Wilander who whore themselves out everyday as commentators, saying ridiculous things about Nadull, Fakervic, and Mugray, looks like Becker is getting in the game. Can't wait until he says Fakervic has the best volleys he's ever seen because of the AO final, even better that Nadull (who has better volleys than Federer as we know thanks to McEnroe).
+1
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

two pathetic Fed fans posting before me .............how nice.............one is 22 other 24 none of them saw Fed play before 2007 at least,know nothing about tennis,bandwagon at their best,no respect for opponents of their idol given they are bitter and pathetic

what Becker said I disagree with some things but in general good post Nina
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

mostly plain obvious stuff, a lot of unnecessary hyping up of murray to give credence to this 'rivalry', yup it sounds exactly like something that a mainstream tennis pundit like becker would say
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think Federer-Djokovic rivalry is better than Sampras-Agassi
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jealous much? Sorry that federer is no longer the one in the spotlight.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how Becker could think of Nadal and his pigeon as a rivalry.
SerialKillerToBe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Good read, and nice analysis by Becker.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Insightful article. Maybe a bit heavy on the current player hyperbole, but Becker is just hyping tennis. He has racquets to sell, after all.

Bit disappointed with the interview. When I saw the title I thought he might offer some insights about why Edberg owned him in Slams when Becker made him his bitch everywhere else.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Painting with a broad brush there, buddy. It is rare in these forums to see such an infantile comment made not in jest. I guess every present and past player who doesn't bow down and genuflect to your favorite is a whore for the ATP. Like me, most long-time, unbiased tennis fans accept the Federer is the GOAT but his dominance is over.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously some people watching tennis nomore than two years. Becker will say what his boss wants him to say he is paid for that. Djokovic and Murray is the most boring rivalry, Djokovic and Federer for me is the best rivalry in this generation, How on earth Fed has so many good rivals Nalbandian,Safin.Roddick,Gonzalez,Davydenko,Ferrer o.Hewiit . They played such a good matches . Now we have to wait to final or SF to see a match with good quality . Only one QF was high quality level Federer Tsonga, ONe SF Federer Murray and boring final. Every point they played the same way of course it is much more easy you do not need to think ,
pepita1964 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mccenroe is the best commentator out there so no reason to talk shit about him 'whoring himself to the game'. he still plays very well, dismantling players a decade younger than him on the legends tour. Nadal is a great volleyer by the way, whether or not he volleys as well as Federer is certainly debatable, but look at both Nadal's stats and just his technique at the net, he is extremely effective

and what was wrong with Becker's interview? he is right, obviously Murray and Djokovic likely are going to have both a long rivalry / lot of meetings in the next few seasons.

Wilander is a total clown but to compare him and Mccenroe, is like comparing apples and oranges, John is very intelligent, still plays tennis VERY well, and is by far the most entertaining voice to hear when watching a match, not horrible like those Australian commentators, Wilander, or practically everyone else

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
country flag xargon

xargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepita1964 View Post
Obviously some people watching tennis nomore than two years. Becker will say what his boss wants him to say he is paid for that.,
Nole Fan, good article.

LOL Pepita, He told his boss the 'The Telegraph' the day before the match that Murray would win. Now he changes his tune. He is jealous that nole reached his GS total and is not finished.
Becker always was a loser.
xargon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #15
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
I honestly think Federer-Djokovic rivalry is better than Sampras-Agassi
uhhh..... how?

Sampras - Agassi actually contested a BUNCH of slam finals and Federer-Djokovic like.... one? Sampras- Agassi = a lot more way more dramatic matches. Sampras - Agassi = better contrasting styles, literally the opposites of one another. Sampras - Agassi = the biggest icons of the entire 90s, the same generation of one another, same country (United States), etc. Djokovic - Federer not the same generation, not dominant at the same time, etc.

Novak is obviously a great player now BUT he would have gotten dismantled if he had played in the same generation as Federer. frankly as far as the H2H and 'rivalry', Novak is very fortuante that Roger has bit his pride and decided to play long past his prime, something which helps skew the rivalry into looking favorable towards Djokovic. obviously Novak is going to win some matches when in his prime against 31 year old Roger Federer. I kept thinking to myself last World Tour Finals literally while the match was going on live, Djokovic is struggling to beat 31 year old Federer, and Federer is not playing anywhere near how he did in, say, 2005/6 or his prime

so there are quite a few reasons why I think that Agassi - Sampras are a better rivalry, primarily because they were in the same generation and as far as I am concerned at a more fascinating contrasting of styles

Sampras - Agassi is like watching two oranges who were harvested at the same time play together. Djokovic - Federer is like watching a fresh out of the oven loaf of bread face off against a stale bagette. and they're surprisingly close in flavors and outcomes of matches. which means a bad rivalrly IMO since 31 year old shouldn't be consistantly practically winning and losing back and forth with players dramatically younger and in their prime

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote