yup, just seen trolling (or, perhaps, genuine bitching?) about relevance of australian open in the final match thread. nice inducement to repeat why is AO the best GS in last 10+ years:
* best weather;
* best scheduling (theoretically, RG has better scheduling, but they usually *get screwed by dark and rain);
* best crowd;
* first slam to have retractable roof on main court;
* night matches under the lights. AO > RG
* most player-friendly grand slam, as contemporary champion and other players assert. more important - AO is the most regular and fair-play oriented grand slam, because of:
- no stupid sunday in the middle of tournament. "tradition"? what tradition? what is the point of christian tradition in sport event in antichrist country? particularly if it hurts another supposed local tradition more relevant in sport event - fair-play. as if regular rain isn't enough, stupid sunday often screws schedule of some players and puts them in unfavourable position. therefore AO is more regular tournament than wimbledon, hence, inevitably, AO > W.
- no stupid saturday at the end of tournament. stupid saturday forces finalists to play the most important matches in tournament in bo5 format in two consecutive days, and potentially puts second finalist in unfavourable position after eventual long sf match. how dumb is that? AO > USO.
thank you australian open, the best grand slam.
(some subjective reasons, not relevant for everyone, can be added too, like favourite surface or sight of sunshine and summer while freezing in the winter.