Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013? - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Djokovic 119 45.59%
Federer 14 5.36%
Murray 8 3.07%
Nadal 110 42.15%
Del Potro 10 3.83%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #331
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

all depends on nadal's knees and how they feel on a day to day (set to set/game to game) basis.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #332
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
LOL. Djokovic lost not because he was playing badly but because Nadal was playing very well. Nadal was nowhere near his best in MC and still served for the second set. Getting 3 sets on Philippe Chartier won't be a walk in the park even for Novak. Think it's pretty 50:50 and a long way to go still...
Last year, Nadal was much better than he is actually. An encounter between this Nadal and a good Djokovic would be 50/50 for me. But i doubt Nadal will suddenly find a good backhand, even if we never know with him. Djokovic was clearly bad last year, like Federer and the fact they both reached the latter rounds prove how weak the field is on clay. You can find my posts, i thought Djokovic would take a 2 2 and 2 beatdown against Nadal last year.

Nadalwith this backhand is hopeless against a good Djokovic imo, the serb will abuse him all day.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #333
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Wawrinka the favorite for RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
With Nadal playing shit on one leg, Federer well past his best, Djokovic on one ankle, and Murray, well, being Murray, surely this is Wawrinka's time to snatch Roland Garros.

Great serve, groundstrokes, knows how to move on clay, powerful, 1 hander has no trouble with nadal FH.
When Rafa is so shit why does nobody not named Novak beats him then?

And we all know that the best of 5 modus will favour Rafa and also Novak even more.

How many sets has Stan won in 8 matches against Rafa so far? And what does the H2H against Novak say?

Stan is surely one of the players who can cause an upset to beat one of the topranked players but to win RG he most probably would have to beat Rafa and Novak and the chances that this is happening is slim.

Like I wrote in another thread to you yesterday let's have Stan win a Masters on clay first or beat Rafa and Novak there
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #334
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
No. There are only five players who have the game and mentality to win 7 best of 5 matches in a row, Wawrinka isn't one of them. He's not even one of the two (Tsonga and Berdych), who could do it given great circumstances (form, draw...).

Nadal > Djokovic > Federer > Murray/Del Potro imo. Murray might not be top 5 on clay, but I'd still fancy his chances of winning seven best of five matches more than some players who might be better on the surface.
You can't know for Federer because it all depends of his level. If he plays like he did this week he won't even reach the quarters, but if he regains some form he can beat them all but Nadal.

Murray, LOL. Only with the best draw ever like he had in 2011
Old 05-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #335
country flag bounccer

Wawrinka has 0 chance against Nadal in a best of 5.

But if he plays his best (a big if), he would have a very good shot against anyone else, including Djokovic.

And when whe say that Nadal is playing bad, it is because we are comparing his level with the level he had in his best years (2008,2007, 2012...) But his actual level, despite being bad for his own standarts, is still awesome, and still unreachable for almost everyone.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #336
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
You can't know for Federer because it all depends of his level. If he plays like he did this week he won't even reach the quarters, but if he regains some form he can beat them all but Nadal.

Murray, LOL. Only with the best draw ever like he had in 2011
Hence why he's third.

Murray will have a seeding advantage over most of the draw first and foremost. And I'd trust him to win seven best of five matches on clay more than Wawrinka or anyone else apart from the other four active Slam winners (scratch Hewitt). The experience and mentality levels (overall ability to 'seal the deal) are far more important here than how conductive each player's game is to a particular surface imo.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #337
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Wawrinka has never won a set from Nadal.

But look at the scores on clay:

6-4, 7-5, 6-4, 6-1, 6-4, 7-5.

5 of 6 sets went to at least 6-4

I'll be rooting for Wawa today, it will be a great test for both if it is indeed Rafa-Wawa in the Final tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #338
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
Wawrinka has 0 chance against Nadal in a best of 5.

But if he plays his best (a big if), he would have a very good shot against anyone else, including Djokovic.
The chances are way more likely though that he will lose a match to a lower ranked player which he should win.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #339
country flag MTwEeZi

MTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Q. Talking about this question, how do you see yourself from here to Roland Garros? Still a month to go. Djokovic, before playing he said you're always favorite even though you've been injured. Are you at the same level as him?
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel like I answered that question pretty well the answer before. I've answered that, don't you think so?

Q. Do you consider yourself less favorite than Djokovic?
RAFAEL NADAL: Less favorite? Maybe because of the injuries. Well, because, you know, talking about the word "favorite," I'm tired of repeating it. The only one who is interested in the word "favorite" is you. We're not interested it in it.
We try to do our best, and the only one who's the favorite is the one who gets the championship in the end. It's only lines for you to write. For us it's nothing. We just go out there to the court day after day and we know we can win or lose.
So this is the end of this speech of being favorite or not. One is favorite until he loses or wins. That's all. There is nothing else.
Djokovic came from winning a lot of Grand Slams. He hasn't had a single problem in a long time. Without doubt, he's one of the maximum candidates to reach the goal that he has in each tournament.
MTwEeZi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #340
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

If the SF between Djokovic and Nadal happens in Rome, the winner of the match will be the biggest favorite imo. I can't see somebody else wining. Federer maybe if Djokovic beats Nadal in a very long match. Or JMDP. But I think they will put Nole and Nadal in separate halfs.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #341
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa obviously,since his comeback,7 tournaments played,7 finals.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #342
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Olderer.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #343
country flag Chair Umpire

Chair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond repute

I still put my money on Djerkovic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Edberg must be spinning in his grave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
As usual Mjau! is right on the money. Her analysis is flawless. It is unfortunate not everyone is as brilliant as her.
Butthurtism in Tennis Thread (demonstration inside).
Chair Umpire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote