Has Djokovic surpassed Stefan Edberg and/or Boris Becker? - Page 29 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Has Djokovic surpassed Edberg and Becker?

He has surpassed both 84 56.76%
He has surpassed neither 47 31.76%
He has surpassed Becker but not Edberg 13 8.78%
He has surpassed Edberg but not Becker 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #421
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Djokovic surpassed Stefan Edberg and/or Boris Becker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
This is exactly why Agassi's Career Slam is the most impressive of all time.
Certainly more impressive than the two Career Slams that have followed it...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #422
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeball View Post
Double standards when comparing Fed's or Nadal's Slams counts to Djokovic's.

So it's ok to conclude that Fed and Nadal are better than Djokovic because they have more Slams than him. While Djokovic's Slams count can not and I stress CANNOT be used to compare with Edberg's and Becker's???? Caesar, pls stop your BS surface craps and get the hell out of here.

I think the point that you are failing to grasp here is that comparing slam counts from DIFFERENT ERAS when conditions were so different is somewhat unreliable as an indication of which player is better.

Last edited by Han Solo : 02-10-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #423
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we'll ever see a trio like Federer/Nadal/Djokovic again.

Djokovic lived up to expectations.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #424
country flag Orangeball

Orangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post

I think the point that you are failing to grasp here is that comparing slam counts from DIFFERENT ERAS when conditions where so different is somewhat unreliable as an indication of which player is better.
Yeah Fed and Djokovic are from the same era?

Also Fed's and Nadal's Slams count are also unreliable to be used when comparing with Edberg's and Becker's Slams count? The problem here is that people will go at length to discredit Djokovic's Slams, while at the end of the day as most people on here would agree that the number of Slams each player won will define their place in the history book.
Orangeball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #425
country flag Han Solo

Quote:
Yeah Fed and Djokovic are from the same era?

Also Fed's and Nadal's Slams count are also unreliable to be used when comparing with Edberg's and Becker's Slams count? The problem here is that people will go at length to discredit Djokovic's Slams, while at the end of the day as most people on here would agree that the number of Slams each player won will define their place in the history book.
In that they both are playing and winning at the same time, and both play with the same sorts of conditions, etc - then, yes. Obviously Federer's career started earlier, but they both play now.

Of course it will. I'm not denying that, just trying to clarify the argument that others were making here, that you appeared to have misunderstood.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #426
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
I don't think we'll ever see a trio like Federer/Nadal/Djokovic again.

Djokovic lived up to expectations.
there will be a big void when these 3 champs are done, but life will go on. They will be celebrated to no end ... 3 very unique personalities
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #427
country flag Orangeball

Orangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
In that they both are playing and winning at the same time, and both play with the same sorts of conditions, etc - then, yes. Obviously Federer's career started earlier, but they both play now.

Of course it will. I'm not denying that, just trying to clarify the argument that others were making here, that you appeared to have misunderstood.
So Sampras and Agassi were in the same era as Fed? They were still playing each other 10 years ago???

I am just so sick of people trying their very best using stupid explanations to try to discredit Djokovic's achievements. Imagine Djokovic would go on and win 18 -20 Slams to better Fed's number and people will still use the same pathetic excuse, oh no his Slams were easier to win so they don't count bla bla bla
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #428
country flag Orangeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
there will be a big void when these 3 champs are done, but life will go on. They will be celebrated to no end ... 3 very unique personalities
Yeah why can't people just see it as that?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #429
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah why can't people just see it as that?
It's because most people here (and on the other tennis boards), have this attitude that if you are let's say a Fed fan you hate Rafa, or if you are a Nole fan you hate Fed etc. Very few true tennis fans respect all 3 of them. Once they are gone that will change, I think. They'll become legends (I guess they already are) and they will be missed because of their amazing tennis skills and what they contributed to tennis.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #430
country flag Orangeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
It's because most people here (and on the other tennis boards), have this attitude that if you are let's say a Fed fan you hate Rafa, or if you are a Nole fan you hate Fed etc. Very few true tennis fans respect all 3 of them. Once they are gone that will change, I think. They'll become legends (I guess they already are) and they will be missed because of their amazing tennis skills and what they contributed to tennis.
Thanks for your words of wisdom, just wish that there are more people on here who are actually real tennis fans like you and I
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #431
country flag Han Solo

Quote:
So Sampras and Agassi were in the same era as Fed? They were still playing each other 10 years ago???

I am just so sick of people trying their very best using stupid explanations to try to discredit Djokovic's achievements. Imagine Djokovic would go on and win 18 -20 Slams to better Fed's number and people will still use the same pathetic excuse, oh no his Slams were easier to win so they don't count bla bla bla
Look, Djokovic turned professional in 2003 (paying first tour-level event in 2004, making first major appearance in 2005), Federer in 1998. This means that for ALMOST A DECADE they have both played on the tour. They have faced each other 29 times in that period. They have had the same surfaces to contend with, the same racquet technology to benefit from, etc, etc. So yeah, they have for a SIGNIFICANT portion of their careers played together, won major tournaments, etc.

Meanwhile, Sampras retired in 2002 (turning professional back in 1988). Although their careers overlap, Federer and Sampras did not spend much time on tour together, so I think it's fair to state that Federer and Djokovic have shared an era in a sense that Sampras and Federer have not. Sampras played the majority of his tennis before Federer turned pro.

As for Agassi - his career extended into his mid-thirties, having turned pro back in 1986, he was still playing pro tennis in 2006(!!)

Anyway, I'm not trying to discredit Djokovic's majors, nor Federer's, nor anyone else's. But they have benefited from the fact that conditions across the majors are more similar now. Federer has admitted as much publicly.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #432
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonac View Post
nole >> agassi
Nope.

Just like Nadal is not better than Borg.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #433
country flag Alex999

Quote:
Nope.

yeah, agree with you here Roy on both points. Nole does have a very good chance to surpass Agassi, but we'll have to wait and see . I think Tektonac's opinion is based on what Agassi said about Novak (something like Nole is a much better player than him), but again I refuse to compare players from different eras. At the moment, Agassi is a much more accomplished player than Djokovic.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #434
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope.

Djokovic is a better player than Agassi that much is clear for anyone who watched them both.........he will need to win some more if he wants to pass him in the record books..........and Nadal is better than Borg in every way.........
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #435
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope.
true andre won more but nole would just plaugh through agassi (murray would also).
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote