Point of the tournament (Djoker on the floor) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #16
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Point of the tournament (Djoker on the floor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Shame that lunges and splits is considered a great point... What technical ability did he display exactly?
The timing/placement required to dive to a ball and actually get it back in court, the balance to maintain body trajectory to the ball, the speed and recovery to get in position for the next shot, the anticipation to read the next shot, etc.

Tennis isn't 100% about "technical ability" anyway It's not a video game. Determination, improvised shots, and athleticism can be appreciated too.

Just because some players don't want to dive for fear of scuffing their shoes or getting a scrape, doesn't mean that people can't appreciate the plays of those who aren't afraid to get down and dirty...
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #17
country flag delboy

delboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen better between these two but that was godovic at his retrieval best. murray should have won that point though without question.
delboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Shame that lunges and splits is considered a great point... What technical ability did he display exactly?
In any sport, technical ability is not what makes a champion, nor is it what crowd admires the most. Sure, people appreciate technical ability, but they revere heart and desire to win at any cost, which is why that point was point of the tournament in many people's eyes. That is why Nadal is admired by so many. He may not possess technical ability, but his mentality and his attitude is revered by fans all over the world.

Quite a few players have near-flawless technical abilities. Their technically proficient shots/point construction might get some gasps from the crowd, but they will never get a roar of approval such as Djoker's match saving return against Federer at USO.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
country flag MinioNole

MinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond repute

I think his great point was the drop shot during the 4th set? or 3rd? Great control
MinioNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it was the best point of the tournament, there were so many great points ... but oh boy, as CD would say 'it's the movement of death' . freaking unbelievable how well he can move
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Rather sad for the AO if that was the point of the tournament. The theatrics made it look better than it actually was. I'd say there were at least 5 points better in the Wawrinka match alone.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
country flag indianabones

indianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond repute

For me there was a rally in the Wawrinka match where both were attacking and defending brilliantly. But for me the point of the match and shot of the match was by Djokovic yesterday when in the final set he stretched out to lob a ball which landed right on Murray's baseline. Outrageously good shot, and outrageously good rally.
indianabones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

great point. never saw before anyone did it successfully .

I saw many attempts .

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Rather sad for the AO if that was the point of the tournament. The theatrics made it look better than it actually was. I'd say there were at least 5 points better in the Wawrinka match alone.
Truth spoken.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
country flag JarkaFish

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Definitely, also this trash point should've never happened considering that one of the clowns in this point should've been sent home packing in the R4.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote