Swimming - Page 53 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #781
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming

if his career is ended its a shame i mean im not a fan of his but still what he has done for swimming and also australian swimming was huge and hes only 24 so it be a shame

Iguana, Biscuit, Pim Pim, the ledge that is Rafter! and my new love Nole!

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
and proud to be a morgette & mattiholic!!!
Suzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #782
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond repute

Thorpe just announced he is quitting swimming.

I really dislike Thorpe, what a massive waste of talent.
Langers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #783
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe now he will work on his movie career and lure all the boy crazy females from MTF into his pocket.
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 AM   #784
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Ian gave more to Australian sport, and to swimming in general, in his 8 years at the top than almost anyone I can think of. Only he knows if his body and mind won't let him get up at 4am to swim many kilometres per day any more.

He was the model competitor in the pool and the perfect gentleman out of it. He showed that you can be a great guy and win, and that you can dance to your own tune and still be loved.

I hope he has a good rest for now and I know he will do something amazing with the rest of his life.

Hopefully, we'll see him in the commentary box sooner rather than later
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #785
country flag ~EMiLiTA~

~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, well he hasn't competed since like Athens..

here's an article if you're interested

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=164058
~EMiLiTA~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #786
country flag rosespower

rosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond repute

even he didn't competed since athens... I still had the hope he'll return but somehow... it was clear he was having no atraction for swimming anymore...
....he is still so young.....but I guess. this doesn't count when you have such a long careere...

I would love to see that!
rosespower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #787
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond reputeLangers has a reputation beyond repute

AUSTRALIA's chances of successfully defending the women's 4x100m freestyle title at next year's world titles took a dramatic dive last night, when Olympic gold medallist Alice Mills was knocked out of the national team by her training partner Jodie Henry in the 50m freestyle final at the national trials in Brisbane.

World champion Libby Lenton won the race comfortably and Henry snuck home in the last metre to touch second by 0.01sec, leaving the heartbroken Mills in third place and outside the selection criteria by the narrowest possible margin.

She was too shattered to speak of her disappointment last night and was still tearful on the medal dais. Henry put a protective arm around her as they walked away from the medal ceremony.

The irony, of course, is that while Henry is at best an outside chance to win a gold medal in the 50m freestyle, Mills' absence is likely to cost Australia one, given that the German women broke Australia's world record at the European titles in July.

Mills has been out-of-sorts at this meet but at her best is a sub-54sec 100m freestyler, a speed that none of her possible replacements can match.

My favourite swimmer, cute little Alice Mills failed to make the Australian squad for the 2007 World Champs.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #788
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Australian swimming is really starting to struggle.

The men's team is weaker than it has ever been, and take away Grant Hackett and the aussies will struggle to win medals of any colour at the World Champs.

The women's team is doing quite well, but outside the top few in each event, there really isn't a lot of depth either.

Come Beijing, I'm not expecting many medals at all for Australia. The Europeans have come a long way and will begin to dominate on the world scene.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #789
country flag Langers

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
Australian swimming is really starting to struggle.

The men's team is weaker than it has ever been, and take away Grant Hackett and the aussies will struggle to win medals of any colour at the World Champs.

The women's team is doing quite well, but outside the top few in each event, there really isn't a lot of depth either.

Come Beijing, I'm not expecting many medals at all for Australia. The Europeans have come a long way and will begin to dominate on the world scene.
The state of Australian male swimming is terrible, and aside from Hackett and the 1500m I don’t see us winning too many medals, especially gold.

However I think you’re being too low key in regards to the women; there is outstanding talent in almost every event and there are a lot of young talented swimmers arriving on the scene. You’ve got Jones, Lenton, Schipper, Henry, Miatke, Edington, Zimmer, Reilly and many more. Then the youngsters such as 14 year olds Emily Seebohm and Cate Campbell and of course Steph Rice. We will do fine and for quite some time.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #790
country flag Langers

Oh and how the heck did I forget Bronte Barratt! She is just a phenomenal young talent.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #791
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
The state of Australian male swimming is terrible, and aside from Hackett and the 1500m I don’t see us winning too many medals, especially gold.

However I think you’re being too low key in regards to the women; there is outstanding talent in almost every event and there are a lot of young talented swimmers arriving on the scene. You’ve got Jones, Lenton, Schipper, Henry, Miatke, Edington, Zimmer, Reilly and many more. Then the youngsters such as 14 year olds Emily Seebohm and Cate Campbell and of course Steph Rice. We will do fine and for quite some time.
lol... why did you bother challenging me on this?

We are in agreeance in regards to the mens' side of things, but I shall give you a rundown of the women.

Breastroke - Leisel Jones, easily the best in the world, and Brooke Hanson has been a sound perofmer as well, but take those two away and there is nobody capable of replacing them.

Backstroke - Seebohm is an obvious talent, and she will improve, but Australian women have never been particularly strong at backstroke, and I don't expect the backstrokers to take any medals at the World Champs.

Butterfly - along with Jones, Schipper is the most dominant Australian swimmer going round. Hard worker, and plenty of good years left in her, Lenton is more than capable over the 100m, but Galvez is mediocre over the 200m.

Freestyle - Henry and Lenton are amongst the best in the world over the shorter distances, but from 200m upwards the Aussies are pretty useless on the world stage.

IM - Steph Rice is a big time performer who took the IM double at the Comm games, but she didn't swim too well here and will need to improve to challenge at the Worlds. Jennifer Reilly needs to lose a good 20kg, but she was impressive in the 400 IM, she would be an outside shot at a medal at best.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #792
country flag Langers

Who said I was challenging you?

For Freestyle as you said there are quite a few that are great over short distances, Lenton, Henry and Mills are all massive medal chances whenever they swim. Miatke is only 18 and as I mentioned the two 14 y/o will only get better. Barratt could well be the next big thing and there is also MacKenzie. We should be fine for many years.

You don’t expect any medals at Backstroke? I would have to disagree; Seebohm and Zimmer are big chances. Edington failed to qualify didn’t she? Well that’s a setback but she’ll be right in the long run. Fargas isn’t too bad either, and is certainly easy on the eye.

Certainly some great young talent coming through and obviously many right a the top of the world.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #793
Banned!

Quote:
Who said I was challenging you?

For Freestyle as you said there are quite a few that are great over short distances, Lenton, Henry and Mills are all massive medal chances whenever they swim. Miatke is only 18 and as I mentioned the two 14 y/o will only get better. Barratt could well be the next big thing and there is also MacKenzie. We should be fine for many years.

You don’t expect any medals at Backstroke? I would have to disagree; Seebohm and Zimmer are big chances. Edington failed to qualify didn’t she? Well that’s a setback but she’ll be right in the long run. Fargas isn’t too bad either, and is certainly easy on the eye.

Certainly some great young talent coming through and obviously many right a the top of the world.
Here we go...

MacKenzie is as good as she will ever be, and that is not top 3 in the world sadly. I forgot about Barratt before, she is young but needs to improve to match it with Manadou and co.

Don't expect too much of those youngsters, girls have a habit of peaking in their teens then never reaching that level again.

No, those girls will not win medals, unless the field is extremely weak.

Yes, Fargas is fairly attractive, but if you're after Australia's next pin-up should she make it big, Steph Rice is the one to look out for.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #794
country flag Langers

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
Here we go...

MacKenzie is as good as she will ever be, and that is not top 3 in the world sadly. I forgot about Barratt before, she is young but needs to improve to match it with Manadou and co.

Don't expect too much of those youngsters, girls have a habit of peaking in their teens then never reaching that level again.

No, those girls will not win medals, unless the field is extremely weak.

Yes, Fargas is fairly attractive, but if you're after Australia's next pin-up should she make it big, Steph Rice is the one to look out for.
Steph Rice is a stunner! They interviewed her after she came second in the 400IM, and she was looking so fine. Pity they didn't interview her for longer.

Yes Barratt needs to improve but at only 17 she has time on her side and she will be dominating in a year or two.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 AM   #795
Banned!

Quote:
Steph Rice is a stunner! They interviewed her after she came second in the 400IM, and she was looking so fine. Pity they didn't interview her for longer.

Yes Barratt needs to improve but at only 17 she has time on her side and she will be dominating in a year or two.
Steph Rice is one of the best looking Australian sportswomen, along with Kate Hollywood.

We shall have to wait and see with Bronte.