Swimming - Page 43 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #631
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming

u missed pieters bday mara tut tut

Iguana, Biscuit, Pim Pim, the ledge that is Rafter! and my new love Nole!

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
and proud to be a morgette & mattiholic!!!
Suzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #632
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute

Commonwealth Games: Day 1 heats

16-Mar-2006 Nikki Dryden

There were only a few visibly empty seats at the Melbourne Aquatic Centre as Day One of the 2006 Commonwealth Games got underway. The largely Aussie crowd cheered hard for their countrymen and women, but were ready to applaud a good swim when then saw it. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II arrived 2 hours late, just in time to catch the last event of the morning. A few Games? records fell in the 50s of stroke, but some of the longer events had only a few swimmers close to top times.

Women?s 200 Free

Caitlin McClatchey (SCO) won the first seeded heat and heads into the final tonight in lane 4. She was the only woman under 2 minutes this morning finishing in 1:59.96. She turned it on to win in the last 30 metres, surging ahead of Bronte Barratt (AUS), one of the youngest Aussie?s at the Games. Bronte?s 2:00.64 puts her in 6th spot for tonight.

Linda Mackenzie (AUS) gave the crowd a real go with her win in the second seeded heat, out-touching Jo Jackson (ENG) 2:00.11 to 2:00.23. But it was Lisbeth Lenton (AUS) who really got the crowd on their feet. Out in a 57.91, Lenton looked like she might finish well under 2 minutes, but with a 31.37 on her 3rd 50, Mel Marshall (ENG) was able to pull even at the 150. The two battled it out down the final lap, with Lenton finishing off nicely in the last 10 metres to touch 2:00.16 to Marshall?s 2:00.50. Both Lenton and Marshall have gone 1:57s, so it is a deceivingly tight looking final, and with several other sub-2 minute swimmers it should be a lot faster tonight.

Sophie Simard (CAN) heads into the final in 7th spot with her 2:00.89. ?It was an okay swim,? she said after. ?I was hoping to go a bit faster this morning. It was my first goal to get into the final. I knew the competition would all be 1:59s, 2 minutes, so to get in there I needed a strong swim.? Simard caught a cold 2 days ago, but feels that tonight will be better. Speaking as a veteran of the team, (Simard is a ?96 Olympian), she had some good things to say about this year?s Canadian team, ?There has been a very good atmosphere within the team. There is a lot of new people, but everyone is very positive.?

Men?s 50 Back

Two Games records were broken in the 50 back. Matthew Clay (ENG) won his heat in 25.61 to break Matt Welsh?s (AUS) record set in Manchester in 2002. Welsh himself was unable to get it back, winning his heat in 25.66, but Liam Tancock (ENG) erased Clay?s mark with a 25.26. Matt Rose (CAN) sits in 4th spot with his 25.75, just 2 one-hundreds off the Canadian record held by Riley Janes. Onan Thom (GUY) rounds out the top 16 for tonight?s semi-final with a 28.33. Several of the men were unshaved this morning, with noticeable hair on both Welsh and Tancock.

Women?s 50 Fly

The Aussie women sit 1-2-3 after this morning?s swims. Leading the charge was Danni Miatke (AUS) in 26.67, just 1 one-hundredth off countrywoman Petria Thomas? Games record. Jessicah Schipper (AUS) who is on the brink of fly world records in the 100 and 200 fly, touched in 26.77 and Alice Mills (AUS) won her heat in 27.11. All three Canadians, Audrey Lacroix (CAN), Genevieve Saumur (CAN) and Kelly Stefanyshyn (CAN) made it into the semi-finals tonight.

Men?s 400 Free

With Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett missing from the men?s 400, it is up to Craig Stevens (AUS) to defend Aussie honour. He looked set to do it this morning, despite only having 2 weeks to prepare for the Games. His late addition to the team, in replacement of a sick Thorpe, meant last week was a tough one for him. ?I felt alright this morning,? said Craig after his 3:51.23 swim (good for lane 4 tonight), ?but last week I struggled a lot. I mean a lot! But this week I?ve worked on getting more control and speed back and after resting and having a shave yesterday I feel good.?

David Davies (WAL) won his heat in 3:51.39 and will be ready for his race tonight against Stevens. Sitting in 4th spot is Andrew Hurd (CAN) who swam a solid 3:52.48. ?My goal was to win the heat,? said Andrew. ?I think it will take a 47 or 48 to win tonight and I think I can be there. I?m pretty happy with that swim, I went out pretty easy and I know I have more speed for the end.? As for the hype over who will win, Hurd said, ?This race is a stepping stone for most of these kids. It will be a good fight instead of 1 person being way out in front, and it will be more fun to watch too!? Ryan Cochane (CAN) sits in 7th spot for tonight.

Women?s 200 IM

In what has historically been Canada?s top event at the Commonwealth Games, no Canadian women will swim tonight. Instead Australia took another sweep with hometown favourite Brooke Hanson (AUS) finishing in 1st this morning with an easy looking 2:15.26 over Lara Carroll?s (AUS) 2:15.30 and Stephanie Rice?s (AUS) 2:16.44. Jean-Marie Neethling (RSA) the younger sister of South African star Ryk Neethling (RSA), sits in 6th spot. It only took a 2:21.12 to qualify for tonight?s final, a noticeably weak event compared to most years.

Men?s 200 Fly

Another soft event, the men?s 200 fly took only a 2:02.34 to qualify. Travis Nederpelt (AUS) looked like the only swimmer who was awake. His 1:57.36 win was 2 seconds ahead of Moss Burmester (NZL) who sits in second with a 1:59.87. Jeremy Knowles (BAH) finished in 3rd with a 2:00.17. The final should be quicker as both Nederpelt and Burmester have been 1:56s.

Women?s 50 Breast

Leisel Jones (AUS) won her heat in 30.78, but it was Jade Edmistone (AUS) who sits in the top spot tonight with 30.51, a new Games record. She stole that from Zoe Baker (NZL) who swam for England at the last Commonwealth Games, but now races for New Zealand. Baker sits in 4th place with a 31.70, well off her best. Lauren van Oosten (CAN) is 7th with a 32.39, while Marie-Pier Couillard (CAN) is 13th. Fourteen year old Sri Lankan Mayumi Raheem (SRI) is 15th in 35.40.

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #633
country flag Sandra

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #634
country flag Suzi

Commonwealth Games: Day 2 Heats

17-Mar-2006 Nikki Dryden

Men's 50 Fly

Roland Schoeman (RSA), breathing every stroke, looked easy as he won the final heat of the morning and qualified in top spot for the semis in 23.59. "It was a good swim," said Schoeman. "Leading up to the Games I had a mystery illness and soreness in my bicep. I just wanted to work out cobwebs from last night and pumped out the first 25, which took out the pressure in the last 25."

Michael Klim (AUS) and Matt Welsh (AUS) got the biggest cheers from crowd, but were no match for Schoeman, touching in 24.04 and 24.18 respectively. The top Aussie of the morning was actually Matthew Targett (AUS) who won his heat in 23.91 feeling comfortable, "It was amazing," he said, "Melbourne is home to me." Welsh was still unshaved even though he's been through semis of the 50 back last night. "Hopefully we can make it through unscathed and get through tonight and tomorrow night," said Welsh.

Canadians Thomas Kindler (CAN) and Darryl Rudolf (CAN) qualified for the semi-finals in 7th and 9th spot, while sprinter Mark Foster (ENG) was last off the blocks in his heat, but sneaked into 13th spot.

Women's 100 Back

Aussies Sophie Edington (AUS) and Tayliah Zimmer (AUS) sit 1 and 3 for tonight's semi with 1:01.32 and 1:01.94. "It wasn't too bad this morning," said Edington. "I'm very happy with that time." About her nerves she added, "I've been waiting all week, thinking I want to swim, I want to swim. Now it's like, I don't want to swim!" Mel Marshall (ENG), 3rd in last night's 200 free, was 2nd this morning with a 1:01.92. All the women seem to be swimming much more even paced races, with no one out under 30 seconds. Compare that to the men's 100 breast, where even the 16th place swimmer was out under 30. There are slight differences-the breast starts from a dive and the turn touch is to the hand, but it's interesting nonetheless as the women backstrokers all used to be out under 30.

Canada's top backstroker, Erin Gamel didn't make it to Melbourne, having injured her foot at a pre-Games training trip. That paved the way for Kelly Stephanyshyn to shine. She heads into the semi-final in 5th spot with a 1:02.82. Landice Yestrau (CAN) also qualified in 9th spot with a 1:03.63, which is her best. Fourteen year old Marie-Pier Couillard (CAN) also qualified.

Men's 100 Breast

Christian Sprenger (AUS) won the first seeded heat, just edging out Mike Brown (CAN) 1:01.90 to 1:01.99. Up next Englishmen James Gibson (ENG) and Christopher Cook (ENG) went out strong, but were overtaken in the last 25 by Scott Dickens (CAN) who finished in 1:02.32 to Gibson's 1:02.55 and Cook's 1:02.59. But it was Brenton Rickard (AUS) who stole the show, winning the final heat in 1:01.28 and grabbing the top spot for tonight's semi final. An unshaved Darren Mew (ENG) finished second in 1:02.34. Mathieu Bois (CAN) also made it into the semis with his 1:03.64.

Women's 50 Free EAD

Natalie du Toit (RSA), who lost her lower leg in a moped accident on the way to swim practice in 2001, broke the world record in the S9 category for Elite Athletes with Disability. She broke her own record by 3 one-hundredths with a 29.32. du Toit will also race in the able-bodied 800 free tomorrow. Canadians Valerie Grandmaison (CAN) and Chelsey Gotell (CAN) had solid swims in the S13 category. Grandmaison was 28.70, with Gotell touching in 29.03-just 3 one hundredths off her best. Anne Polinario (CAN) was just off her best touching in 28.83 in the S10 category and had the second best swim of the morning behind du Toit. All three Canadians made tonight's final.

Women's 100 Free

The Aussie women should sweep this event, and enter the semis in 1st, 2nd and 3rd spot. But the order is not what you'd think. World record holder Lisbeth Lenton (AUS) is third with an average 55.04, while Alice Mills (AUS) sits second with her 54.80, which broke the Games record until Jodie Henry (AUS) swam a 55.52 in the next heat to qualify first for tonight. Henry is no slouch of course; she is the former world record holder and Olympic champ from Athens.

Erica Morningstar (CAN) is 4th with a 55.86-just off her Canadian record. She was slow off the blocks, so should improve tonight. Also in the semis are Genevieve Saumur (CAN) who sits in 8th and Sophie Simard (CAN) who is 12th.

Men's 200 Free

With Ian Thorpe (AUS) out, this is yet another event up for grabs. The Canadians looked very strong, with Brent Hayden (CAN) winning heat one in 1:48.93. Ross Davenport (ENG) upset Ryk Neethling (RSA) in heat two, 1:48.76 to 1:48.88. Sitting in between them is Rick Say (CAN) who stormed home in the final heat to win in 1:48.77 and qualify 2nd.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #635
country flag Suzi

Commonwealth Games: Day 2 Finals

17-Mar-2006 Nikki Dryden

Melbourne-US Secretary of State Condolezza Rice and Ian Thorpe were tonight's big VIPs, garnering lots of stares, while Grant Hackett sat across the pool. Canadian legend Alex Baumann was in the house as well. The Aussie women swept 2, 50's of stroke, but it was the English men who heard their anthem play twice tonight, winning the 50 back and the 200 free. The crowd was loud yet again, but noticeably quiet during events with no Aussies.

Women's 50 Fly Finals

Danni Miatke (AUS) didn't hide her anger yesterday. She climbed from the pool after the semis and was visibly annoyed about qualifying second for tonight's final behind Jessicah Schipper (AUS). Schipper not only beat her last night, but broke the Games record. Tonight, Miatke was all smiles after reclaiming the top spot in the 50 fly. Miatke led from the gun, and drove to the wall in 26.43 for a new Games record. Schipper, who will dominate the longer fly races, touched in second with 26.65, while Alice Mills (AUS) and Lize-Mari Retief (RSA) tied for the bronze in 26.78. "It was my personal best," said Retief, "an African record, my first Commonwealth Games, I don't know what to say!" Genevieve Saumur (CAN) finished in 8th spot.

Men's 50 Back Finals

Several of the men took advantage of the new backstroke start rule that allows toes to be out of the water, including the gold and silver medallists from England: Matthew Clay (ENG) and Liam Tancock (ENG). The race was tight the whole way and the top four all came in on the same stroke. Clay got his hand on the wall in 25.04 for the win, followed by Tancock in 25.10 and Johannes Zandberg (RSA) in 25.16. It was the second medal shutout for Australia, as Matt Welsh (AUS) finished in 4th spot with a 25.16. Matt Rose (CAN) finished 6th but was happy with his swim. "I'll keep improving, getting faster and staying stronger."

"I did everything I needed to," said Tancock who was also pleased about his countryman's win. "I'm happy for him. I'd like to have won it here, but I'm pretty pleased with how I've gone. I'm just going to go with the flow and see how I feel." Zandberg wasn't pleased however, "It was a good race, but I was disappointed with how I went?I'm looking forward to the 100."

Women's 50 Breast Finals

There was another 1-2-3 sweep for the Aussie women, but an upset did occur as Leisel Jones (AUS) out-swam the world record holder and world champ Jade Edmistone (AUS) for the gold. Jones' time of 30.55 included a surge in the last 10 metres to overtake Edmistone who touched half a second off her best in 30.84. "It was pretty exciting," said Jones. "All life experiences coming into one race. I'm comfortable with my result, I trust my coach and this is only a warm up experience." Tarnee White (AUS), the bronze medallist from the '02 Games, won bronze again. Lauren van Oosten (CAN), who is better over the longer distances was 7th in 32.13.

Men's 50 Fly Semi-Finals

Fresh off their 50 back finals, Matt Welsh (AUS) and Matthew Clay (ENG) finished 2nd and 3rd in the first semi with 23.97 and 24.08 respectively. The winner was Auburn University based Andrew Targett (AUS) in 23.86.

In the second semi, current world record holder Roland Schoeman (RSA) made it look easy, winning in a new Games record of 23.14. In the morning, Schoeman was breathing every stroke for the last 25 metres, but tonight he breathed only 3 times in the final 25. He was still a full stroke ahead of Michael Klim (AUS) who touched in 23.80. Thomas Kindler (CAN) swam a 24.05-a new personal best. Kindler sits in 5th spot for tomorrow night's final, while Mark Foster (ENG) failed to advance, finishing 10th.

Women's 50 Free Finals EAD

Natalie du Toit (RSA) broke her second world record in one day, winning gold with her 29.27 for S9 (-0.08). In for silver was Anne Polinario (CAN) with her 28.63 in S10 (+0.19), followed by Annabelle Josephine Williams (AUS) with a 30.25 in S9 (+0.90). du Toit will also race in the able bodied 800 free tomorrow morning.

Men's 100 Breast Semi-Finals

Scott Dickens (CAN) finished strongly to out-touch early leader James Gibson (ENG) 1:01.69 to 1:01.76-a replay of this morning's heat. Christian Sprenger (AUS) was slower than his heat swim, with a 1:02.28.

The second semi was much faster, with Chris Cook (ENG) winning in a new Games record of 1:00.94. Brenton Rickard (AUS) was slower than his heat swim with a 1:01.40, while Darren Mew (ENG) picked up the pace and touched in 1:01.73 to a fast finishing Mike Brown (CAN) who finished in 1:01.90. Jim Piper (AUS) was disqualified, but it still kept Mathieu Bois (CAN) out of the final, he finished in 9th spot with a best time of 1:02.92.

Women's 100 Free Semi-Finals

With 3 Kiwis flanking her on one side and 3 Canadians on the other, Alice Mills (AUS) led the pace with a 55.08-slower than her heat swim. Erica Morningstar (CAN) was closing on Mills, but couldn't quite get there, finishing in 55.63, just off her best, but good enough for 4th spot in tomorrow night's final.

The second semi was a much awaited showdown between Jodie Henry (AUS), the Olympic champ and Libby Lenton (AUS), the reigning world record holder. Lenton was out fast in 25.84 to Henry's 26.25, but it was all Henry on the way home, looking much stronger than Lenton. Henry lowered her own Games record to 54.11 while Lenton was 54.68, still over a second over her world best.

Men's 200 Free Finals

Race favourite Ryk Neethling (RSA) was out fast on the first 50, but was never in the race after that. Instead, it was Brent Hayden (CAN) who took the lead for the next 100, flipping first in 51.95 and 1:19.58, but he just couldn't hang on, and in the final metres he was passed by two Englishmen, Ross Davenport (ENG) and Simon Burnett (ENG). The medallists finished in 1:47.29, 1:47.38 and 1:47.41, with Rick Say (CAN), 4th in 1:47.44-a tight final to say the least.

Hayden's strategy was simple: get out fast. "My stroke-rate was really slow this morning, but I was going as fast as I could," said Brent. "I knew the only way I could get it up tonight was to establish myself early. I knew the back end would hurt, but I just had to suck it up and so I tried to get out as far ahead as possible. Unfortunately, 2 people passed me in the last few strokes. Since I was out in front the whole way, I did have gold flashing before my eyes, but being third on the podium is better than fourth and being in the stands."

Women's 100 Back Semi-Finals

Giaan Rooney (AUS) who lives in Melbourne, wowed the crowd with her semi-final win in 1:01.68. Rooney won this event at the '98 Games and was 3rd in '02. She will have to fend off the second semi winner, Sophie Edington (AUS) who won in 1:01.30. The 200 free bronze medallist, Melanie Marshall (ENG) heads into tomorrow night's final in third spot with her 1:01.91 followed by Hannah McLean (NZL) who was 1:02.46. Kelly Stefanyshyn (CAN) is 6th.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #636
country flag Suzi

Commonwealth Games: Day 3 Heats

18-Mar-2006 Nikki Dryden

Women's 800 Free

The first of only two heats saw a race between Wendy Trott (RSA), Melissa Gorman (AUS), and Brittany Reimer (CAN). The three women flipped in 4:19 at the 400, and their pace remained the same throughout. Trott was able to pick it up in the last 100 and won the heat in 8:39.21, over 10 seconds faster than her seeded time. "I'm very happy with my swim," said Trott. "My main goal was to swim out strong. Before the race I was very doubtful with the Australians swimming well, but I'm clearly impressed with my time."

Gorman was next in 8:39.28, while Reimer, who doesn't look as fit as she did last summer when she won silver in this event at Worlds, couldn't go with them and finished in 8:40.98. Natalie du Toit (RSA,) who won the 50 free for swimmers with a disability last night, finished 6th in the heat (9th overall) in 9:06.12-just off her best.

In the second heat, Becky Cooke (ENG) who is the defending Games champ in this event took it out strong 4:16 and then put 6 seconds on Sarah Paton (AUS). Cooke touched in the top morning time of 8:38.18 to Paton's 8:44.12. "As the defending champ I'm looking forward to coming out and claiming the gold," said Cooke. "I'm really relaxed and I can't wait for the final." While it was only a heat swim all of the women looked red-faced, despite several being sub-8:30 swimmers. 200 free winner Caitlin McClatchey (SCO) scratched and did not swim, despite being ranked 5th heading into the Games.

Men's 100 Free

Top seed Roland Schoeman (RSA) was content to qualify in 11th spot for tonight's semi-final. His casual glide to the wall put him 5th in his heat with a 50.78. His teammate Ryk Neethling (RSA) was also soft on the last 25, finishing 2nd in his heat in 50.19. "I'm feeling better this morning after the disappointment of yesterday," said Neethling. "Today is a new day, and that's how I'm going to approach it."

Top spot instead goes to Eamon Sullivan (AUS) with 49.94 followed by 200 free bronze medallist Brent Hayden (CAN) in 49.98-the only two men under 50 this morning. "I'm really happy," said Sullivan. "This is really comfortable for a heat swim and I've got a couple of things to improve." Fourth spot goes to Yannick Lupien (CAN) with 50.15 and sixth to Matt Rose (CAN) in 50.20

Women's 100 Fly

Jessicah Schipper (AUS) cruised to an easy looking Games record of 58.49, while Libby Lenton (AUS) continued to struggle in the second half, finishing in 59.43. Schipper said after, "I'm really ecstatic about the record. It didn't feel like I was going that fast and I'm really looking forward to coming out and breaking it again tonight." A beaming Audrey Lacroix (CAN) broke the Canadian record held by Jen Button by 1 one-hundredth to finish in 4th spot with a 59.67, behind Terri Dunning in 59.56. That is Lacroix's best time since 2003.

Mills sounded a bit tired after her heat swim, noting her multiple events. "I'm doing okay, and by the end of the week I will have competed in 4 races, so I'm halfway there. It's really hard to do everything, but I'm doing my best. Lenton also has a lot of swims left including 3 tonight, but seemed more positive. "It was a great swim, nice and comfy. It's a big program tonight, and I'm looking forward to it."

Men's 200 Back

Gregor Tait (SCO) qualified for lane 4 tonight with a 2:01.85 followed by Johannes du Rand (RSA) in 2:02.33, Nicholas Neckles (BAR) in 2:02.57, and Desmond Strezlow (CAN) in 2:02.58. Strezlow won the first heat by miles and looked very long and easy. Afterwards he seemed calm and composed for a rookie at his first major international meet. "I like my chances," he said in response to the open field. "I swam in control and just wanted to make sure I had an inside lane tonight. It's my best morning swim, so I'll take it." As for tonight, he says he will just tighten up his splits a bit. "I've got a lot left in me, I feel strong and ready to rumble."

Women's 200 Breast

Kirsty Balfour (SCO) will hold lane 4 tonight after posting a very quick 2:26.18-well ahead of a cruising Leisel Jones (AUS) who only won her heat in 2:29.96. Jones' world record is 2:20.54, so it may not be as close tonight. In for third spot was Suzaan van Biljon (RSA) in 2:28.31. Lauren van Oosten (CAN) sits in 5th spot over Brooke Hanson (AUS).

Old 03-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #637
country flag Suzi

Commonwealth Games: Day 3 Finals

18-Mar-2006 Nikki Dryden

Melbourne-Prime Minister John Howard came to watch tonight, but it was Olympic legend Dawn Fraser who got the biggest cheer when she presented the medals to the Aussie women in the 100 free. While the Aussies were golden, the Scots picked up another gold and two silvers, the Kiwis two bronze, and the South African women earned their first swimming medal of the Games.

Men's 200 Back Final

Gregor Tait (SCO), the silver medallist from '02 was back and better than ever, clearing himself of the field to win gold in 1:58.65. The time was a new Games record-breaking that held by Mark Versfeld (CAN). "Thank God for that," said Tait. "It's been a while! I just had to concentrate on what I was doing-I didn't really know where everyone else was." Johannes du Rand (RSA), whose underwater skills were the top of the field, was second in 2:00.32 followed by a fast finishing Cameron Gibson (NZL) in 2:00.72. Gibson snatched the bronze from early leader Nicholas Neckles (BAR) who is competing in his 3rd Games. His time of 2:01.25 was just ahead of Desmond Strelzow (CAN) who touched in 2:01.43.

Women's 100 Free Final

In the most highly anticipated showdown of the Games, it was Libby Lenton (AUS) who rose to the occasion. Out in 25.77 to Jodie Henry's (AUS) 26.16, Lenton fought hard down the entire second lap, just missing her own world record as she touched in 53.54, a new Games record. Henry's 53.78 was also just off her best but the two swims give Lenton and Henry 9 of the top 10 performances of all time in this event. "We knew we were going to get first, second and third," said a confident Henry, "it was just a matter of the order we came."

Alice Mills rounded out the sweep with her 54.31. Erica Morningstar (CAN) broke her own Canadian record to tie for 4th spot with Francesca Halsall (ENG) in 55.40, while Genevieve Saumur (CAN) finished in 7th spot.

Men's 100 Free Semi-Final

Simon Burnett (ENG) looked fantastic as he cruised to victory in the first semi. Well out in front he glided into the wall at 49.19 over Brent Hayden (CAN) in 49.92 and Yannick Lupien (CAN) in 50.18.

Roland Schoeman (RSA) finally looked hot, winning the second heat in 49.34. Out fast in 23.23 he breathed away from the field coming home on the second 50, so as the field closed in him it was unclear whether he was hurting, easing up, or just didn't see them. Regardless, he was certainly saving up something for the 50 fly final later tonight.

Eamon Sullivan (AUS) will have lane 3 tomorrow with his 49.34, while Ryk Neethling (RSA) will take lane 6 with his 49.37. Neethling was the top male on this year's short course world cup circuit, but failed to medal in the 200 free earlier this week. His best 100 free time is 8th on the all-time list at 48.34 to Schoeman's 48.17, Burnett's 48.68 and Hayden's 48.92.

Women's 100 Fly Semi-Final

Libby Lenton (AUS) marched straight from the medal podium to the blocks for the first semi and won in a solid 58.60. Jessicah Schipper (AUS) won the second semi lowering the Games record again to 58.21. "It was a great swim," said Schipper, "I'm really happy with it."

Audrey Lacroix (CAN) lowered the Canadian record for the second time today, getting in at 59.21. "I think I can still be faster," said Lacroix who hadn't gone her best time since 2003 until this morning. "After the race this morning two of my goals were achieved: to go under 1 minute and break the Canadian record. Once they were done, I could just think about being out faster and coming back well." Lacroix wasn't too star-struck with her Aussie competitors. Although she acknowledges that Lenton is 2 seconds faster, she was psyched to be so close. "When I raced Libby Lenton this morning it was pretty cool to be so close to her after the 50 and I just tried to do my best on the second half. I know the Aussies are fast, but I would just like to be as close to them as I can."

Men's 50 Free EAD

Seventeen year old Matthew Cowdrey (AUS) took the gold medal with his 26.06 world record swim in the S9 elite athletes with a disability. His time was -0.08 under the world record. "I love this pool!" said Cowdrey. "It's very fast and it's exciting in front of the crowd, a little tense, but it means everything." In for silver was Benoit Huot (CAN) who was just off his own world record for S10, touching in 24.84 (+0.13). "It's not bad coming second," said Huot. "That was my first race of the week and the 50 is hard to get a good feeling for, I wish I could have started with the 100." In for bronze was Matthew Walker (ENG) in 28.94 for S7 (+0.36).

Women's 200 Breast Final

What a swim by Leisel Jones (AUS). The crowd was going and it looked like the Games might just have its first world record. Jones was under pace the whole way, but fell just off in the last 25 to touch in 2:20.72-a new Games record by almost 5 seconds. In for silver was Kirsty Balfour (SCO) in a time of 2:24.04, which places her 6th on the all-time list. "I'm proud to represent Scotland," said Balfour, "and to take a medal home to the Scottish fans." Bronze went to Suzaan van Biljon (RSA) in 2:25.39. "I'm happy with the time," said van Biljon. "I didn't expect to win a medal, it hasn't kicked in yet!" Both women were well under their personal bests, but the new breaststroke rules that allow for a dolphin kick off the start and turn, will keep these times falling.

Men's 50 Fly Final

Before the crowd could get too excited it was over, and world record holder Roland Schoeman (RSA) had won in 23.34. "I'ts amazing to see what happens in 4 years," said a pumped up Schoeman. "I'm stronger, I'm faster, I'm an animal! At the end of the night, it was just about getting gold."

Matthew Targett (AUS) touched second but was disqualified, which paved the way for Matt Welsh (AUS) to be awarded the silver and for local hero Michael Klim (AUS) to pick up the bronze. Thomas Kindler (CAN) moved up to 4th with a 24.00 behind Welsh's 23.63 and Klim's 23.74. "It was a good swim," said Welsh, "I put it together well." As for Targett, Welsh knows what it's like to be disqualified. "I've been there many times, I can sympathise with him."

Women's 100 Back Final

Hannah McLean (NZL) went out for it, flipping first in 29.67 to Sophie Edington's (AUS) 29.81. But Edington came off the wall moving fast and passed McLean to take the lead. Her long flat stroke looked effortless as she broke the Games record with her win of 1:00.93. "It's amazing here," said the winner. "I concentrated on my own race, and I was happy to come home."

McLean tried to hold on but was passed in the final 15 metres by local favourite Giaan Rooney (AUS) who earned silver in 1:01.42 and Mel Marshall (ENG) who picked up her second bronze of the meet with her 1:01.55. Although Rooney was disappointed with the loss, she now has a medal of every colour in this event, having won it in '98 and earning bronze in '02. Kelly Stefanyshyn (CAN) was 7th.

Men's 100 Breast Final

Christopher Cook (ENG) was just off his semi time, but it didn't matter. He still had enough to win in 1:00.98 followed closely by teammate James Gibson (ENG) in 1:01.10. Gibson looked the best he has all week, and was only passed by Cook in the final few strokes. England almost had a sweep of the medals, but Brenton Rickard (AUS) squeaked in for the bronze, ahead of Darren Mew (ENG) 1:01.17 to 1:01.23. Scott Dickens (CAN) swam another personal best for 5th spot, while Mike Brown (CAN), who is better known for the 200 finished in 7th spot.

Women's 4x200 Free Relay

The Australian women destroyed the Games record, taking the gold in 7:56.68, but it was close for the first half as three other teams battled it out for the silver and bronze. England had the edge most of the way, and with Mel Marshal anchoring, they were able to grab the silver in 8:01.23. On the other side of the pool a real clash emerged between Canadian anchor Brittany Reimer and New Zealander Melissa Ingram. The two were neck and neck coming down the final 50, but Ingram was able to hold onto the lead she had and she out-touched Canada 8:02.20 to 8:02.24 for the bronze.

Men's 4x200 Free Relay

England took the early lead off the first lead out leg by Simon Burnett, but it was all Australia and Scotland on the next two legs and the two teams flipped almost even at the 600. With 200 free champ on the anchor for England, Ross Davenport was able to catch both squads and win the gold in 7:14.14 for England-his split of 1:46.71 is 14th on the all-time list. Scottish anchor, Robert Renwick was able to hold on for silver in 7:14.40 with Australia in the unusual bronze medal position with 7:14.99. Canada's Rick Say tried to battle back posting a 1:47.67, but couldn't reach the Aussies, and finished in 4th spot with a 7:15.82.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #638
country flag rosespower

rosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond repute

this games have no fun without ian...

I would love to see that!
rosespower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #639
country flag Suzi

i know the aussie mens team is quite weak on the other hand the womans are strong

Old 03-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #640
country flag rosespower

rosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond repute

i know that the aussie women team is strong at least i have that....

Old 03-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #641
country flag Suzi

The brits well to be correct the english are doing well in swimming

Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #642
country flag rosespower

aham....

Old 03-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #643
country flag Suzi

haha i dont really care i was watching the 200m backstroke mens today, its not the same without my aaron

Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #644
country flag Suzi

Commonwealth Games: Day 5 Finals

20-Mar-2006 Nikki Dryden in Melbourne

Melbourne-The Aussie women continue to sweep events, while the men still haven't found gold. Scotland shines even brighter, winning two more golds, while Papua New Guinea wins its first ever Commonwealth gold in the pool.

Men's 100 Fly Final

Married to Balinese royalty, father to a new born baby, former world record holder and denizen of Melbourne, Michael Klim (AUS) was hoping for a fairy tell ending to his career-a win in his best event in front of the hometown crowd. The fans were certainly on side, pushing the star in pursuit of the Aussie men's first individual gold. But an Australian trained man from Papua New Guinea stole his thunder. Ryan Pini (PNG) led from start to finish-out in 24.38 he got a 6 tenth lead on Klim, which despite a fast second 50 he just couldn't make up and Pini touched in 52.64 to his 52.70.

A beaming Pini stood atop the podium, flanked by a clearly disappointed Klim and 200 fly bronze medallist Moss Burmester (NZL) who nearly caught both men with his 52.73. "I feel unbelievable!" said Pini after the race. "I've been feeling so good in this competition and this crowd, it's incredible, they cheer for anyone!" Always a good sport, Klim gave credit to Pini saying, "He deserves it, he's a great guy."

Women's 50 Free Final

Libby Lenton (AUS) dominated the race for the first 25 and although Jodie Henry (AUS) started to gain on her over the closing metres, Lenton was too far ahead and won in a new Games record of 24.61 to Henry's 24.72. "Basically, tonight was just a celebration of my week so far," said Lenton. "I've had a fantastic week." The fastest in the field, Alice Mills (AUS) had to settle for bronze with a time off her best of 25.03. Only Henry swam a PB, which moves her up to 10th on the all-time list. Victoria Poon (CAN) was 4th in her fastest time of the week, but just off her Canadian record. Erica Morningstar (CAN) was 7th.

Men's 50 Breast Final

Chris Cook (ENG) added another gold to his collection with his second win of the Games. His 28.01 was just ahead of Darren Mew (ENG) who was shutout of the medals in the 100, but managed a 28.07 for silver here. Mew might have had him, but kept looking around at the competition, surely not a good strategy in a 50. In for bronze, to ruin for the second time an English sweep, was Brenton Rickard (AUS) in 28.14. James Gibson (ENG) was 4th in 28.18 followed by Scott Dickens (CAN) in 28.34.

Women's 200 Back Final

In a day where nationalities are being offered for sale by oil rich emirates, it doesn't seem as bad when athletes switch nations when they hold dual citizenship. Jo Fargus (AUS) swam for Australia as a junior before switching to Britain. She raced for England at the '02 Games, but when she failed to make the English team last summer she headed over to Australia, racing at the Aussie trials, and finally earning her ticket to Melbourne. It was well worth the effort, because the Hong Kong born swimmer went a best time to win gold in 2:10.36 to a fast finishing former countrywoman, Mel Marshall (ENG) who finished in 2:10.87-also a best time. The bronze medal went to Hannah McLean (NZL) with a swim of 2:12.47. Former world champ Katy Sexton (ENG) was 7 seconds over her best from 2003 and finished in 8th spot.

"I had a great race this morning, and didn't expect that time," said Fargus. "I'm really happy though, I think I've always had that time in me. I'm so over the moon! The 200 back is my baby."

Men's 50 Free Semi-Final

Brent Hayden (CAN) lowered his best once again, this time to win the first semi in 22.45 over Matt Rose (CAN) who touched in 22.56. Ashley Callus (AUS) was third in that semi in 22.77. In the second semi defending Games champ Roland Schoeman (RSA) was out-swam by Brett Hawke (AUS) who broke Schoeman's Games record with his 22.30. "It's just confidence you know," said Hawke, "you feel good about swimming fast. This is definitely a good start." Schoeman, who is battling an illness and said this morning that "he felt like death," touched in 22.43 followed by Mark Foster (ENG) in 22.61 and Ryk Neethling (RSA) in 22.70.

Women's 100 Breast Final

Leisel Jones (AUS) finally gave the fans what they'd been hoping for-a world record! The crowd was so thrilled they broke into 'Waltzing Matilda' for her as the medallists had their victory lap. But her time of 1:05.09 is not only a world record, but over 6 tenths under it. Out in 30.83, Jones was ahead of pace the whole way. "I haven't been feeling up to my best," said Jones. "I felt like something was a bit off. So I was in absolute shock? and I'm still in shock!" In for silver was Jade Edmistone (AUS) in 1:07.24, followed by Kirsty Balfour (SCO) in 1:07.83- a PB that moves her up to 18th on the all-time list.

Men's 100 Back Final

In what may have been the Aussie men's last chance for gold, Matt Welsh (AUS) gave it a real go, but just couldn't catch Liam Tancock (ENG). Welsh replicated his semi time of 54.82, but Tancock not only beat him, but broke his Games record from '02 with a 54.53, a new PB as well. This is Tancock's second medal, he won silver in the 50 back. In for bronze and his second medal of the Games, Gregor Tait (SCO) added to his gold from the 200 back with his 54.89.

Women's 400 Free Final

A great race developed by the mid-way point as the top 3 women broke out ahead of the field. They all flipped even at the 300 too and it looked like Bronte Barratt (AUS) could pull out the victory as she headed into the 350 with a slight lead. But it was Caitlin McClatchey (SCO) who stormed off the wall, laying on her kick and finishing in a 4:07.69 for her second gold of the Games. "It was very, very close," said McClatchey, "right up to the last 50 it was anyone's race." As for her Scottish team, she said, "It's just a fantastic team. Hopefully we'll go on and win a few more tomorrow. We're such a good team, we're really chilled out and we're just enjoying ourselves."

Jo Jackson (ENG) also held off Barratt, touching in 4:08.36 to her 4:08.65. Becky Cooke (ENG) only managed 7th spot-probably tired from last night's 800 win-not the best schedule for the distance events. Brittany Reimer (CAN) was also way off her best. She finished in 6th spot and was 7 seconds off her time from 6 months ago. Commonwealth record holder in this event, Tracey Wickham (AUS), whose 4:06.28 has stood since 1978, was on hand to present the medals, and a bag piper saluted them as they made their victory lap.

Men's 100 Free EAD Final

Matthew Cowdrey smashed his own world record by 1.20 seconds to win gold in 56.73 for S9. Benoit Huot (CAN) also broke his own world record for S10, but only by 0.51 seconds, so he had to settle for the silver. Bronze medal went to David Roberts (WAL) for his swim, which was 0.20 over the world record for S7. "I actually tried to do nothing at all and take in everything around me," said Cowdrey. "That's my lane and I control everything in that. There's still a lot that I need to do in my sport to get to that extreme, but it's getting close to the perfect race for me."

Women's 50 Back Final

With 4 of the 8 women having just come off the 200 back final, the scheduling of this event doesn't seem fair. It was like this in '02 also and clearly needs to be re-organized. That said, it didn't seem to hurt Sophie Edington (AUS) who won her second gold of the meet over Giaan Rooney (AUS). Edington won in 28.42-the same time Rooney went in the semis and ties the Games record, and only 1 one-hundredth ahead of Rooney's 28.43. Tayliah Zimmer (AUS) picked up her second bronze with a 28.71 over 200 bronze medallist Hannah McLean (NZL) who touched in 28.89. Landice Yestrau (CAN) finished 6th in 29.75.

Men's 200 IM Final

Gregor Tait (SCO) is having the meet of his life. After a gold in the 200 back and bronze in the 100 earlier this night, he stormed home on the free leg in 29.00 to win in 2:00.73. Tait's new training partner, 1500 swimmer David Davies (WAL) might have a little something to do with his strong freestyle leg. In for silver was Dean Kent (NZL) in 2:01.08 followed by Brian Johns (CAN) in 2:01.56. "I think my biggest emotion right now is relief," said a smiling Johns. "After the 4x200 it was a bit disheartening so I just had to refocus and stay on my game plan and execute, which I did." That game plan meant sticking to his own lane. "I couldn't get distracted by the other guys and so when it came down to the last few metres, I just put my head down and got my hand on the wall."

Women's 4x100 Free Relay Final

There was no doubt the Aussie women would win this one. After sweeping the 100 free, it was a matter of just how fast would they go. Ahead of world record pace until the 350, it was only in the final 10 metres that anchor Shayne Reese (AUS) fell off the pace, but they still finished in a Games record of 3:36.49. In for silver was England, who just edged out Canada 3:42.69 to 3:42.84. "It is very exciting," said veteran team member Sophie Simard (CAN). "We were ready to race together because we prepared well." Her advice for her young teammates was simple, "enjoy yourself." But she also added, "Of course it's easier to enjoy yourself when you get a medal!"

CONGRATS TO L.JONES FOR GETTING THE WR!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #645
country flag rosespower

YES CONGRATS TO HER SHE IS GREAT!