Tennis coaches, current players and a poll too - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who do you see become a tennis coach someday?

Roger Federer 3 21.43%
Novak Djokovic 0 0%
Philipp Kohlschreiber 2 14.29%
Tommy Haas 2 14.29%
Andreas Seppi 1 7.14%
Mikhail Youzhny 1 7.14%
Radek Stepanek 4 28.57%
Paul-Henri Mathieu 1 7.14%
Xavier Malisse 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis coaches, current players and a poll too

The tennis coach. Sometimes a teacher, sometimes a companion, at times enigmatic, at other times nigh useless. Ideally, a tennis coach would work with a player to improve his technical, tactical, physical and mental attributes. This role demands a person with certain qualities. Not everyone can become a coach. First of all, it appears to the untrained eye (i.e. me) that a certain understanding of the tactical aspects of the game is paramount, in order to be able to create a sound winning strategy for the player. Likewise, he must be able to see what the weak points of a players´ strokes are and how those could be remedied. He must be able to teach him how to handle stressful situations, or stop the player from becoming stressed through creating rituals or distractions. And what must not be forgotten: the trainer must have the communicative skills to convey all of this.

Not often do you see the transition from absolute top players to top coaches. Oftentimes, the most talented players had such an intuitive understanding of the game, that they had trouble to pass that onto someone who lacked this understanding (in football one can see a similar phenomenon). At other times, they simply had enough of the travelling. Lesser players have been known to become good coaches. All in all, the possibility for a player to leave a legacy in the tennis world after his active career is tantalising.

There are several questions that I would like to ask of you. What are the qualities of a good coach according to you? Why is it that top players tend to make lesser coaches? And who of the current (or recently retired) players do you see having both the skills and the desire to become coaches one day?

NB: The names in the poll are somewhat randomly chosen, in the sense that I put them there based on a gut feeling that they could go down this road one day more than anything else and the poll is thus in no way trying to tell you who you should choose. If you think some player I did not name comes into consideration, please say so.

Last edited by Trollicki : 01-27-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis coaches, current players and a poll too

Anybody?
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

The best tennis coaches were usually mediocre players. Like Brad Gilbert, Darrin Cahill, and Tony Roche. Maybe because being a crap player makes you think strategically to beat better, more talented guys.

I'm gonna go with Murray, who's pretty mediocre as a player. Not sure if he's smart enough to be a good coach but who said Brad Gilbert was especially smart. Sometimes dumb players just need a dumb guy who has already been there. Out of your choices I'm gonna go with Sexy Stepanek, he's the definition of a mediocre player who outwits his opponents and wins ugly (literally )
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute

X-Men obviously
He possesses all the calmness required for the job
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote