What Murray needs to surpass Safin and Hewitt? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #106
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Murray needs to surpass Safin and Hewitt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Murraytards saying he already surpassed them . Some people really started wathcing tennis last year. Hewitt was #1 two years in a row, won 2 slams and 2 TMC.

Safin beat peak Federer in a slam, Murray had to wait untill Federer was 30 to take a set and 31 to beat him. Only player to beat Peakerer in a non-clay slam and also demolished Sampras's in his backyard in a final, being 20 years old. Youngest player to reach #1. Something Murray never did. All of this having his career finished pretty much when he was 25 because of injuries (not to mention all of the injuries he suffered before that).
agree with you man!!!

safin and hewitt had more balls for defeated great champion than murray
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #107
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
You keep saying the word "statistically", but you conveniently left out one of top two most important statistics to determine greatness: # of weeks at #1.
That was my point at the end. I don't really see it as a statistic in the same was as match statistics though.
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #108
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Now?! Hewitt is still ahead of him but one can argue he already surpassed Safin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #109
country flag elpistolero7

elpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond repute

Safin is easily the most talented of the 3.

Murray is easily the most consistent of the 3. 2 slams and 1 OG in a far tougher era. Already the best career of the 3.

Greatly respect: Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.

Past Favorites: Marat Safin, Andre Agassi and Gustavo Kuerten.

Despise: Roger Federer. The dominator of the weakest era in tennis history. Also the man who says "The match is always on my racket against Nadal". H2H 23:10.
elpistolero7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #110
country flag Hangaroo

Hangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpistolero7 View Post
Safin is easily the most talented of the 3.

Murray is easily the most consistent of the 3. 2 slams and 1 OG in a far tougher era. Already the best career of the 3.
Agreed

I don't buy the Hewitt has weeks at #1 argument. I mean no offense to Hewitt, but he was the textbook transitional champion, while Andy had to win all his titles in a ridiculously competitive era. Even ignoring the era argument, the only records that really matter in tennis are the titles you have at the end of the day and IMHO

Andy's USO + Wimby + 1 OG + 9 Masters > Hewitt's USO + Wimby + 2 WTF + 2 Masters
Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #111
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Murray needs to get to #1 at some point. Hewitt or Safin managed to be the best at some point in their respective careers.

Last edited by Alex999 : 12-17-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #112
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Safin? a FH? a BH? being handsome? charisma? born again

I laughed waaaaaay tooo hard at this.

To honestly answer the question, I would say two more slams and at least being number one for a week.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #113
country flag elpistolero7

elpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond reputeelpistolero7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Murray needs to get to #1 at some point. Hewitt or Safin managed to be the best at some point in their respective careers.
Murray's young career was when Nadal reached his peak early (22ish) and Fed was in his peak. No chance of number 1. These 2 will be the main GOAT contenders alongside Laver once they're done.

Then when Fed started to age, Djokovic emerged with unreal consistency, 5 slams, 3 semis and 4 finals in the last 3 years...amazing consistency and taking the number 1 ranking from a fit and in form Nadal in 2011, something Federer could never regain without Nadal being injured. That's a testament to Djokovic's greatness. He's also the AO goat and a future tier 1 great...very likely to break into double figures for slams.

Being number 1 now is fucking ridiculous. The 2 guys at the top have 12,000 plus points. When was the last time 2 tier 1 greats dominated the game like this? Fed and Nadal 07-09. Would a peak Safin or peak Hewitt have a chance of even being top 2 in times like these? All reasonable fans of the game know the answer.

Hewitt was 80 weeks at number 1. During this 80 week reign. During a consecutive year and a half of being number 1, Hewitt won 2 slams and reached 2 semis. That was his best career period really. Outside of that, he was a losing finalist twice and had a couple of semis. His level of play in 05 was the most consistency he's ever shown...3 GS finals. Murray in the last 2 years alone has 2 GS, 2 losses in GS finals to better quality oppositon+ a semi+ the gold. In Hewitt's era, 100% Murray would have made number 1. Safin is far too inconsistent to even discuss, biggest waste of talent in history. Should have been the one challenging Federer consistently...had the game for it anyway.

One more slam and there's no comparison really, he's already had a better career than Hewitt. Hewitt had 80 weeks at number 1. Djokovic has 100. Nadal has 115. That's close right? What the fuck does that tell you? Djoker and Nadal are tennis legends 17 trillion light years ahead of Hewitt in every way, but their reigsn at number 1 indicate and equal level of dominance...look at what Nadal had to do to get to number 1 first time...beat Federer senseless in the FO, beat the grass goat and his 65 match winning streak on grass and gain Wimbledon, while making 2 hardcourt semis all whilst being 22. In 2010 he won 3 slams to regain it. Djokovic beat Nadal senseless in 2011 and had the greatest year barring Fed's 06 in the last 2 decades...the quality at the very top of tennis has been of a different level since 07-08 onwards. (2010,2009 channel slam being the exceptions)

Greatly respect: Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.

Past Favorites: Marat Safin, Andre Agassi and Gustavo Kuerten.

Despise: Roger Federer. The dominator of the weakest era in tennis history. Also the man who says "The match is always on my racket against Nadal". H2H 23:10.
elpistolero7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #114
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpistolero7 View Post
Safin is far too inconsistent to even discuss, biggest waste of talent in history. Should have been the one challenging Federer consistently...had the game for it anyway.
As sad as it is, I have to agree, together with Nalbandian. I understand I'm not the most objective analyst here though.

Re the original question: Murray has already surpassed them, I'd say.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #115
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have Murray's career than the other two but it is still close.

As for no.1 there is a chance, if murray remains healthy, in 2/3 years time if Nadal finally declines (perhaps?!) and Djokovic has a off year because the rest of the competition is so weak. Murray needs to put it all together for a year to get to no.1 which he never does, if he combined 2012 and 2011 he might be close, he needs to do better indoors though, and obviously on clay, although 2011 wasn't bad, SF at Rome, Micky Carlo and French which is probably the best he can hope for. Never understood why he never has done better at Madrid though, would have thought that would be his best clay event.

Looking good and healthy from what I've seen, hopefully the increased power following back surgery has enabled him to reduce his bulk. If what he says about the injury is true and it really was hampering him, and he comes back 100% you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #116
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Why is this still even up for debate?

Murray is a far better player than both. I thought this had been settled?

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #117
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Another slam.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote