the training of roger federer......good or bad??? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the training of roger federer......good or bad???

back in federer's youth:

Quote:
Dany Schnyder, the younger brother of the later top women’s player Patty Schnyder, became his arch rival and his biggest junior adversary. “I tried everything but it didn’t make a difference,” Roger recollected. “I always lost and lost decisively.”
Schnyder, six months older than Roger, grew up in the neighboring village of Bottmingen and has fond recollections of his junior duels with Roger, “We played against each other 17 times between the age of eight and 12,” he said. “I won eight of the first nine matches but lost the last eight matches. Roger always played aggressively. I kept the ball in the court for the most part. Everything went wrong for him at the beginning. His gambles didn’t pay off. That’s probably why I won. But then suddenly his shots stay in.”
“I was surprised to see Roger suddenly storm to the top,” said Schnyder, who eventually gave up his tennis career to pursue academics. “One noticed that he had good strokes at 11 or 12, but I never would have thought that he would become the No. 1 player in the world. I think what he’s accomplished is great—but he’s not an idol, a world star or a super hero for me. Whenever we see each other, he’s still the same guy as when we first met.”
Schnyder also corroborated the fact that Federer didn’t take practice matches nearly as seriously as tournament matches. “When things counted, he could always rise to the occasion,” he said. Roger himself was aware that his performances in practice matches had not dispelled all doubts. “I was conscientious but I didn’t like to train,” he said years later. “My parents always said, ‘Start training better,’ but I often had problems getting motivated. I was a match player.”
Negative emotions also often took control of him on the court. “When things weren’t going the way he wanted, he would curse and toss his racquet,” Kacovsky explained. “It was so bad, I had to intervene sometimes.”
“I was constantly cursing and tossing my racquet around,” said Federer. “It was bad. My parents were embarrassed and they told me to stop it or they wouldn’t come along with to my tournaments anymore. I had to calm down but that was an extremely long process. I believe that I was looking for perfection too early.”

http://bbs.tennis.com.cn/NewsDetail.asp?id=7401271

Also, Nadal once commented on Federer: Rarely have I seen him train with the intensity that I do, and that impresses me.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

and then:

Quote:
Is Federer underestimated as an athlete?
Paganini: With certainty.

What sets him apart?
Paganini: He is nimble, persistent and highly coordinated, even after several hours and in 70, 80 matches per year. And for the last ten years. This is not just talent, but the result of hard work and willingness to repeat something again and again. In this way, Roger is strong. He works a lot more then people can imagine – because he usually trains when nobody sees him. He had to submit his whole life to a philosophy of work.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
country flag Houstonko

Houstonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes fed didnt like to train and only get motivated at the real thing, sometimes its too late against a tough player in 5th set. He didnt conditioned himself to grind 5 hours.

This can be improve i think, he was always tired at tail end of a set prime or not, which hampered his creativity.
Houstonko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

He is almost 32. I doubt he will ever dominate Nole or Murray unless they start to decline more rapidly as they get older and Federer's fluent style keeps his game at a higher level.

If I were Federer, and I truly wanted to play till 2016, I would not mind losing the grind fests on slower courts to these guys. But then I am not Federer or his coach.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Roger doesn't train during tournaments, but during his training blocks between tournaments. During tournaments he's only doing light hitting and fine-tuning.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

That's actually very good logic Sri.

Fed did just fine...the draw was too much for anyone. Nole would have lost(heck nole already lost to wawa unofficially).

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Roger isn't maybe the fittest player on tour but I think not even long matches are a problem for him, unless he has to play many long matches back-to-back. And even in that case, I think recovering is the problem, not his fitness. Recovering is often problematic for 30+ y.o. athletes.

Roger's playing style isn't is physically the most demanding, he likes to keep the points short. And he isn't the most consistent player in baseline rallies, I doubt if being fitter and grinding would suit him at all.
Exactly.

I would even go so far as to say that Federer's sensible and limited approach to physical training is a big reason for his incredible longevity and durability. We are not talking about Fat Nalbandian here - his body condition seems to be quite adequate for his style of play.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are the posts full of nothing but random hearsay and speculation being treated as fact, while the one post with a genuine source is being ignored?

Federer trains as hard as anyone. Don't be fooled by his relaxed manner and physique. The man is supremely fit and a high tier athlete.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #24
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
Why are the posts full of nothing but random hearsay and speculation being treated as fact, while the one post with a genuine source is being ignored?

Federer trains as hard as anyone. Don't be fooled by his relaxed manner and physique. The man is supremely fit and a high tier athlete.
This. If he didn't like to train he would have Nalbandian's belly and would spend most of the time injured instead of being one of the fittest players in the history of the game.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #25
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Federer almost never gets tired. I don't think his aerobic fitness is an issue.

I have a feeling that in the match against Murray it was something more than just fatigue. I bet we will find out eventually that Federer's back started bothering him again (Federer doesn't like to mention injuries immediately after losses, but usually lets everyone know about it a couple months later). Apparently after the Tsonga match he was very late to the post-match presser because he was getting treatment for something.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #26
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal, Nole and Murray are R.V's

a Ferrari only needs lightly tuned

know what am sayin
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #27
country flag BEBE91

BEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond reputeBEBE91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
I believe this. For anyone that doesn't, all they have to do is look at Roger without his shirt off. He simply doesn't have the body of an athlete, which could explain his poor 5 set record compared to the top4.

He doesn't even have the body of a human
BEBE91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #28
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBE91 View Post
He doesn't even have the body of a human
He has the body of a normal man, not shaving metros you see in the ads you mean, correct?
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #29
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen Federer winded and the only other player I can say that about is Bjorn Borg. Roger's age is a problem without a solution so he will not recover as quickly as much younger players. Roger looks like he carries around a few excess pounds which might indicate a dietary problem. I don't think Federer worries about any of this because his accomplishments are unreachable.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #30
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed Fed seemed to be carrying a bit of (seemingly) unnecessary weight around the tummy in the Wimby 09 final which I was rewatching the other day, so I don't think that's anything new.
alypen is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote