Endless Djokovic/Murray debates. Do you like their matches? - Page 53 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you like Murray-Djokovic matches

Yes 40 22.99%
No 82 47.13%
Sometimes- It depends really 52 29.89%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #781
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic vs Murray matches: is the match always on Djokovic's racket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Don't use math. They won't understand. Obviously Murray is the bigger server and returner in their match-up, so if he's playing well there isn't much Djokovic can do.
Murray's average first serve % is still only around 50% and he's not such a serving beast and anyway their matches can't only depend on serve and return.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #782
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic vs Murray matches: is the match always on Djokovic's racket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Murray's average first serve % is still only around 50% and he's not such a serving beast and anyway their matches can't only depend on serve and return.
They don't only depend on that, but if too say the match is on one of their racquet, I think Murray's form and mentality has more to do with outcome because has more ability in the first strike area where as Nole is more consistent as the point goes on.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #783
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbert View Post
it's all mental wise. so a lot depends on murrays head...
I don't know why they are arguing with this. Very rarely is Djokovic nowadays not in the right mentality, but depending on Murray's moods he can lose to the most random people imaginable. A lot does depend on Murray's head, mentality and focus. And it's really been lacking recently.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #784
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
They don't only depend on that, but if too say the match is on one of their racquet, I think Murray's form and mentality has more to do with outcome because has more ability in the first strike area where as Nole is more consistent as the point goes on.
I don't know but none of them is a player who relies a lot on one-shot strategy, and none of them can do that on a consistent basis during a match anyway.

I don't believe in such a strategy even for Federer then you know, Murray or Djokovic ...

The strategy of the one who is very solid is also a winning strategy.

And it's typically the strategy which Djokovic and Murray use on big points although they're able to do something else.

Imo there's something in his shots (more spin for him, flatter for Murray, better control on his forehand) and in his physical balance and thin body which make Djokovic potentially more solid on a good day than Murray can ever be with his shots and bigger body.

Then when I mean "it's more in his racket" I don't mean about making winners, not at all, quite the opposite actually : the ability to avoid more errors if he really wants it.

And I disagree that it's very rare these days to have a Djokovic with a bad mentality. His mentality is still up and down, more than in 2011 anyway.

I agree with Dr Jules that a lot is mental in their matches and they both have their ups and downs in that aspect, which often explains the result.

Last edited by duong : 11-08-2012 at 09:08 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #785
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Correct.

Also irony of Nadal fans in here. We saw at Wimbledon what happened when a match was off his racket and the opponent didn't miss.
the way Rosol was playing, the match would have been on his racket against anyone.....

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #786
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Every match is on Nole's racket.
many matches in his career against Federer and Nadal have not been on his racket....

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #787
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

This whole "When Nole plays his best" clause is tiresome.

If Murray is the source of Djokovic's relatively frequent erraticism in their matches, what does that tell you? That Andy has a very distinct say in the match by affecting Novak's ability to effectively play his game. It's not like Andy's ability to neutralize weapons or force errors is some sort of illegitimate factor of the match, and I'd point out that his ability to do so is not exclusive to his match-up with Djokovic at all.

Some of his fans seem to like to emphasize it to excuse how closely matched the two players are, ignoring Murray's ability to do that to most players. Moreover, Djokovic has a tendency to make Andy litter up the unforced error chart as well, and it really derives from the fact that that neither player can readily claim, or sustain, a distinct advantage in their matches. This is due to the strengths and overall well-roundedness of both players.

People can attribute it slightly more to Djokovic due to the greater initiative he takes in matches (though ones like their recent WTF encounter show that this is not always the case; Andy had more winners), but even then that's debatable. Looking at their Dubai match from this year, the one that people mistakenly attributed to an "aggressive" Murray, was really more about Andy's ability to counter-punch and evoke errors from Nole on that surface. He took a reactive position, but that didn't mean the match was out of his control.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #788
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I don't know but none of them is a player who relies a lot on one-shot strategy, and none of them can do that on a consistent basis during a match anyway.

I don't believe in such a strategy even for Federer then you know, Murray or Djokovic ...

The strategy of the one who is very solid is also a winning strategy.

And it's typically the strategy which Djokovic and Murray use on big points although they're able to do something else.

Imo there's something in his shots (more spin for him, flatter for Murray, better control on his forehand) and in his physical balance and thin body which make Djokovic potentially more solid on a good day than Murray can ever be with his shots and bigger body.

Then when I mean "it's more in his racket" I don't mean about making winners, not at all, quite the opposite actually : the ability to avoid more errors if he really wants it.

And I disagree that it's very rare these days to have a Djokovic with a bad mentality. His mentality is still up and down, more than in 2011 anyway.

I agree with Dr Jules that a lot is mental in their matches and they both have their ups and downs in that aspect, which often explains the result.
Very well explained, agree with this.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #789
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post

If Murray is the source of Djokovic's relatively frequent erraticism in their matches, what does that tell you? That Andy has a very distinct say in the match by affecting Novak's ability to effectively play his game. It's not like Andy's ability to neutralize weapons or force errors is some sort of illegitimate factor of the match, and I'd point out that his ability to do so is not exclusive to his match-up with Djokovic at all.

Some of his fans seem to like to emphasize it to excuse how closely matched the two players are, ignoring Murray's ability to do that to most players. Moreover, Djokovic has a tendency to make Andy litter up the unforced error chart as well, and it really derives from the fact that that neither player can readily claim, or sustain, a distinct advantage in their matches. This is due to the strengths and overall well-roundedness of both players.

People can attribute it slightly more to Djokovic due to the greater initiative he takes in matches (though ones like their recent WTF encounter show that this is not always the case; Andy had more winners), but even then that's debatable. Looking at their Dubai match from this year, the one that people mistakenly attributed to an "aggressive" Murray, was really more about Andy's ability to counter-punch and evoke errors from Nole on that surface. He took a reactive position, but that didn't mean the match was out of his control.
That was what I was referring to when i said Nole has a more attacking mentality than Murray, in the sense that he always takes initiative earlier than Murray in the point.
Agree more or less with this post.
However we're discussing here the match up, obviously achievements wise Djokovic is very much superior to Murray and not only because he has 5 slams, but because he's always been ahead of him since they broke through early on. There is a reason why Djokovic has been number 3 for four years before his monster season and Andy always 4.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #790
country flag Xenosys

Xenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
That was what I was referring to when i said Nole has a more attacking mentality than Murray, in the sense that he always takes initiative earlier than Murray in the point.
Agree more or less with this post.
However we're discussing here the match up, obviously achievements wise Djokovic is very much superior to Murray and not only because he has 5 slams, but because he's always been ahead of him since they broke through early on. There is a reason why Djokovic has been number 3 for four years before his monster season and Andy always 4.
Some excellent posts on this topic in amongst some of the garbage. Nice read, thank you.
Xenosys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #791
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post

A0 2008/2011.
tektonac is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #792
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic>Murray.

Murray fans, accept reality. Djokovic is better than Murray. Djokovic wins over Murray 10 times out of 10 if he's at all in decent form. Murray can make it close, but Nole has that 10% Murray will never have.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #793
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

it's the same thing for Roger ............when Fed is at his A+ game he cant be beaten by anyone......sure he is older now and slower,weaker but in his prime he was the best .........same with Novak now......if he is at A+ he will beat anyone on any court
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #794
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
it's the same thing for Roger ............when Fed is at his A+ game he cant be beaten by anyone......sure he is older now and slower,weaker but in his prime he was the best .........same with Novak now......if he is at A+ he will beat anyone on any court
I agree and I will say it only once, Fed at his best is better than anyone else.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #795
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

And the real reality is, it is an insult to Federer and Djokovic to keep trying to fit Murray into their club, when it is beyond clear he does not belong in their group.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote