The 'no let-rule' trial at Challengers is (Won't continue on after next week) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heilbronn Challenger 2013 - 'no let-rule'

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle007 View Post
Here is what I think should happen:

1) Get rid of the let sensor.
2) The let rule should only be enforced if a ball touches the net and then falls over to the other side.
3) If ball touches the net but continues to land in like a normal serve, then play on. Watch these 2 consecutive points starting at 15:47:
The trouble with this is who makes the decision between 'falls over" and "continues to land like a normal serve". Sure there are very very clear cases, but in between it gets vague and you get to a subjective judgement. Yes you could find really clear examples- but you could also find examples where it is not clear and is these that are the problem.

The same challenge as for the let exists in every other shot during a rally. The touch of the net can be to the advantage of either player and not seem to be fair, but it should balance out overall.
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

If we can accept points won by net cords during the rallies, why not during the serve? Let's see how it plays out in challengers, I think it might be a good move.

ATP has taken good steps to decrease dead time. The 25 seconds rules being enforced on the ATP tournaments had an effect on the AO I believe (although I have no stats) even not being enforced there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The trouble with this is who makes the decision between 'falls over" and "continues to land like a normal serve". Sure there are very very clear cases, but in between it gets vague and you get to a subjective judgement. Yes you could find really clear examples- but you could also find examples where it is not clear and is these that are the problem.
Exactly, that would be the ideal solution but it's not feasible.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #18
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid rules will never happen on tour, Though the electronic is ridiculous. Just Bring back the net person.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #19
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Servers already have too big an advantage. A let cord screws up the receiver's rhythm and makes the serve too unpredictable, denying the receiver a fair chance at returning the ball. The rule that the serve must be clean is a good one.

Can't believe people are saying this is a way to speed up the match. How many lets are there in your typical match, and how many seconds do they add? You want to speed up the match, start enforcing the time limits between points.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

No lets? seriously? just....

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #21

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
If we can accept points won by net cords during the rallies, why not during the serve? Let's see how it plays out in challengers, I think it might be a good move.

ATP has taken good steps to decrease dead time. The 25 seconds rules being enforced on the ATP tournaments had an effect on the AO I believe (although I have no stats) even not being enforced there.

Exactly, that would be the ideal solution but it's not feasible.
because a player in a rally at least could be positioned WHEREEVER on the court, when returning serve you HAVE to be at least behind the service line, it just makes for even more potentially ridiculous unreturnable balls. beyond just dead lets, any sort of let at all could screw someone returning.

it's a horrible idea to try this. obviously the majority of the time it would be irrelevant and speed up play, BUT just the points here and there where a player got a bad break because of an entirely unreturnable serve would cause outcry. imagine it happening in dramatic instances like a tiebreak. unacceptable.

in a rally we can accept an occasional unreturnable groundstroke that hits the net and rolls over, dead-let, whatever, BUT at least in this case there is room for a player to maneuver around the court as it's happening. a player in the defensive returning position certainly would be screwed on a lot of lets because of weird unpredictable bounces

it just is retarded to try and adjust this, the let is there to make things more fair. the primary objective should not be financial and greedy tournaments trying to make matches faster and squeeze in more potential money or whatever, it should be trying to make the most balanced and best battle surroundings possible.

this is a really dumb idea and the ATP obviously is hoping to make tennis faster and the most appealing to general sporting audiences as they can, but something like this (if enacted) is just going to cause far far far too many bad moments. seriously I could name a ginourmous list of matches off the top of my head where one point here or there changed the shift/momentum in a match. killing the let ball will do the same thing, players will get jipped now and then (probably rarely) in important moments and it will cause an outcry. as it should.

once again at least in the middle of a rally when a player hits the net, the opponent has the opportunity (by luck or extremely quick movement) to be close to the net. obviously when returning serve they do not have any possibility of getting a good hit on an awkward let or even dead lets

Rafael Nadal
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #22
country flag bouncer7

bouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Same change was implemented in volleyball 15 year ago and it became better sport for watching.
bouncer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #23
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Bullshit rule that will hopefully never be implemented in a World Tour.
I hope so as well
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #24
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer7 View Post
Same change was implemented in volleyball 15 year ago and it became better sport for watching.
Tennis is not volleyball and they are not even similar, why compare. So Tennis should use the same balls as volleyball as well. lol.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
Tennis is not volleyball and they are not even similar, why compare. So Tennis should use the same balls as volleyball as well. lol.
this

Rafael Nadal
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #26
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

What's to stop players from purposely training to hit the top of the tape and getting free points? I don't like it.
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute

You have 6 players on volleyball who can reach the ball.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure yet it is a good idea either, hence why I like it that they are testing it first on the Challenger tour.

The dead balls that give no chance to the receiver are really rare and have no effect on the receiver's game. They are as unfair as happening during the rallies, just deal with it.

The only thing that concerns me are those balls that just hit the top of the tape and barely change direction but screw the receiver's timing. I don't know how often those happen, and if it ends up affecting the quality of the receiver overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
What's to stop players from purposely training to hit the top of the tape and getting free points? I don't like it.
I have no idea how one can train to hit the top of the tape in order for the bounce to be in one's favour.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

That's just one stupid rule to make matches shorter. If they continues to slow down surfaces in favour of grindathons, they'll probably shorten matches by introducing no-ad, Bo3 in slams, and match TB instead of final set.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

The muggiest of all the mug decisions ATP have made in this mug as mug era.

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote