Ivan Lendl the best coaching hire of all time? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
country flag Jaz

Jaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ivan Lendl the best coaching hire of all time?

He's a good coach.

But lets not get carried away.

Every tom dick and harry in Scotland was saying that Murray had to improve his serve, especially 2nd serve, and be more aggressive in the points and rallies before he even got appointed as coach.
Jaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
He's a good coach.

Every tom dick and harry in Scotland was saying that Murray had to improve his serve, especially 2nd serve, and be more aggressive in the points and rallies before he even got appointed as coach.
Difference being hearing it from Lendl made him listen as he is a legend of the sport. Petchey (LOL), Gilbert (junkballing mega-pusher) and MacLagan (yes man) were never gonna have the know how or accumulated respect to guide him like Ivan can.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
I believe this relationship only works so well, because they are both of similar ability and mentality. Lendl is instilling the inner warrior in Andy.

Plus their career trajectory is very similar.
agreed, definitely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
country flag blank_frackis

blank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
He's a good coach.

These are technical aspects to his game, but the mental side does play a part. He was genuinely overcome by the pressure in all of his slam finals prior to Lendl and had all but lost before he stepped on the court. Federer and Djokovic played well in those matches, but Murray never even turned up.

He went from that to winning the US Open against Djokovic, for his first slam, after losing a two set lead. Picking himself up for that 5th set took a level of mental strength miles beyond what he was capable of prior to Lendl.
blank_frackis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Lendl only coached Murray because they had similar path to becoming a grandslam champion, and a similar work ethic. I doubt the bond would be as strong between Lendl and other players like Djokovic for example.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Carlos Rodriguez is up there too.
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Peak Kei can beat a good Nole. The gap between their best is very small.

Candidate for a post of the year. Signature material.
redshift36188 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

Lendl is a good coach but I think its the gravitas that he brings which has helped Murray. Andy is more prepared to listen to someone he respects, his mother or some random Brit-mug was not going to cut it. Having a father figure has helped him greatly, similarly to uncle Toni with Nadal and Vajda with Djokovic

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
country flag Brit Tennis Fan

Brit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the appointment of Lendl has been a good one and he has added to Andy's game in several important ways. However Andy was already a very good player so Lendl had plenty to work with.

Whether Lendl could take on a player who needed a lot of work and make big improvements is a question that may never be answered. It needs to be remembered that Lendl doesn't work with Andy full time. He is there for the slams and Masters Series and for some of Murray's training but that is mostly it. I doubt that he would be willing to work 40+ weeks of the year with a younger player.
Brit Tennis Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

I swear my first intention when I came here today, was to make this thread!!! Definetely the GOAT coach. He gave murray a brain. And more important, a winning mentality. Still have to cut his swearing between points.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
country flag Houstonko

Houstonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond repute

Hope nadal comes back to punish everyone. This slam tennis is weak and murray-lendl is overrated.
Houstonko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
country flag swebright

swebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is how good is Novak's coach as a real coach?

Sometimes I am not sure he's the real coach or a companion. I don't know what to make of him.From crazy Nole to this perfect and complete Nole, what did he do??
swebright is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but Andrew winning slams could also have something to do with Federer getting worse and Knee-dals problems. Lets face it, even with his old coaches he'd have a much bigger chance since 2012->

If Lendl intimidated Fed and busted up Nadal he might be the best in history but otherwise he might just be sort of a placebo guy that helped Mugrays confidence while in reality the competetion as gotten weaker with one exception. Djokovic. More a case of good timing.

But only the worst tards thought that Federer and Nadal would never get worse. Murray is vulturing on that opportunity and so is Djoker. They are the new "Fedal" team. Lendl can take some credit but it was inevitable years ago that eventually there would be a changing of guards in the top.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

He's a good fit but I'll withhold my judgement until he gets someone else to the top.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the most appropriate coaching hire
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonko View Post
Hope nadal comes back to punish everyone. This slam tennis is weak and murray-lendl is overrated.
Nadal hurricane starting in vina del mar in February and lasting till Wimbledon. Exciting times ahead.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote