Does anyone else dislike the standard camera angle used for tennis matches? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone else dislike the standard camera angle used for tennis matches?

I liked it when the camera angle was from a more top-down view. The current standard is from more of a player perspective, which sort of distorts the way shots are seen. You don't really get the full effect, if that makes any sense.
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else dislike the standard camera angle used for tennis matches?

What do you mean? I was watching one of the Edberg/Cash AO finals from the 80s the other night and it's pretty much exactly the same perspective they use today.

Sometimes on the outside courts that don't have raked seating, the camera angle is lower. But there's not much you can do about that.

Or are you talking about the court-level view they often show for the serve and return, before cutting back to the overhead view? Because if so, I find that really annoying too.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else dislike the standard camera angle used for tennis matches?

no there's an obvious difference to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R6v3d2WckI

the camera is higher in that video than it is in the current Andy-Fed match for example
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that just due to the way the stadium is constructed t the AO compared to the USO?

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

That's just because Arthur Ashe is a bigger stadium with a steeper rake to the seating than Rod Laver.

EDIT: What he said.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

that's just the USO AA stadium camera angle, which I personally dislike a lot more than the other slams.
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
country flag Nixer

Nixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with either, as long as they don't use court-level camera like Caesar1844 said... worst idea ever that one.
Nixer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they would try standardise it a bit. Even when they do manage the same angle, it's often zoomed from a different distance so the perspective is distorted.

Personally when at an event my preferred ticket is to the side of the court, not behind it.

3D coverage of tennis is fantastic btw. Makes such a difference to your perception of depth, trajectory, pace off the ground etc etc.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote