Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
country flag The Fearhand

The Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
Thread was made prior to that.
Exactly.
The Fearhand is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
Many times I've seen on this forum people saying that player X was aggressive during a match because he hit more winners than player Y. I hold the view that this is a very simplistic logic, devoid of any real analysis, usually used by tards who don't understand the game.

Allow me to explain: While it is evidently usually the case that the more aggressive players make more winners, it's in some instances not the case at all. Especially not in today's era where the courts are slow allowing for long rallies. For example, let's imagine a defensive oriented player like Nadal or Djokovic. Both are able to sustain long rallies with consistency and both are able to counter-punch effectively. Thus, when they face a relatively offensive player, they are able to respond and cope well to a high amount of their offensive shots until they find a relative open place to pass him, especially if such "relatively offensive player" is aggressive enough to go to the net (in point of fact, adopting an aggressive stance like trying to volley a lot in today's conditions against those players could mean facing a lot of winners coming at you, in spite of your aggressive strategy!).

In conclusion, while the more aggressive player usually makes more winners, one can adopt a defensive stance (grind and counterpunch) and hit more winners than an offensive rival who likes to set the pace and aggression. It is for this reason that it is wrong to conclude that player X was more aggressive merely because he hit more winners.

Discuss.
TL;DR version:

Nadal, Djokovic, and their ilk are disgusting defensive pieces of shit and anyone who has ever had the gall to suggest otherwise by pointing to the stat sheet are drooling simpletons who know nothing about tennis or logic.

TL;DR version II:

My butt hurts.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #33
country flag johnny tsunami

johnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond repute

is this another thread devoted to somehow giving fed fans a false sense of entitlement that their god is still the best player in the world, just because they think he is the most aggressive player? i feel like it is..
johnny tsunami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #34
country flag Thunderfish8

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's important to take forced errors into account.

In my opinion, they are just as valid to count as winners.

If you have a player who lacks firepower, but can still force errors, he should be though of as offensive.
A player who forces 50 forced errors in a match should be viewed as more offensive than somebody who makes 25 winners.

I also agree with the OP. You see this especially when a match has a serve&volley player on one side of the net. He is by definition the more offensive player, but will end up with less winners as he is passed numerous times. I imagine a match like Stepanek vs. Djokovic would result in many more winners for Djokovic despite him being the far more defensive player.

Berdych Monaco Granollers Troicki Roger-Vasselin Lu Paire

PAW Titles: Brisbane 2012 & 2014
FITD Titles: Marseille 2014
Tennis Tipping Titles
Singles: Orleans CH '11, Tampere CH '12, Medellin CH '12
Doubles: Noumea CH '13 w/ Chirag, Cherbourg CH '14 w/ BMT360
Thunderfish8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #35
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Fed fans have to accept that winning
17 slams with a bunch of brainwashed, weak or injured pigeons that drool at your feet is not the same as punishing these same pigeons and crushing 3 of the best 20 players of all time. Not just 15-20 average matches, but 30+ wins per opponent in 15 years.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #36
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Being aggressive means maxing the fuck out of the IBM Slamtracker aggressiveness ratio.
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote