Why does the ATP give America so many events? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
country flag Tiebreak100

Tiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does the ATP give America so many events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
11 events in USA throughout the 2013 calender, none in Czech republic (where a top 10 player is from) and very few in countries that have a large Tennis interest. Why does the ATP give America so many events? Sure America is a large country, but I think 11 is a bit too much to cater for all of America's needs. IMO each country should have a maximum of 5 events. I mean I find it a little bit shit that Czech has none, and here in the UK they only have events down south. Why can't Manchester or Liverpool have an event? I mean even Switzerland where the GOAT is from only has 2 events.. Silly.
Glasgow would eventually like an ATP event, and rightly so. Its a joke that the Scottish slam champion only gets to play in his birth city when a Davis Cup tie is on, and usually against garbage opposition.
Tiebreak100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Events that their #1 player can't play. Even when Berdych was outside the top 10 he used to make the effort to play at least a challenger every year there. They really do need an ATP event now.
i wouldn't disagree, i would like all nice countries to have tournaments and Czech Republik is a very nice country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #18
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

America really does not have that many when you consider the vast # of tennis players in the country. just because currently there aren't that many awesome American pros in the ATP does not discount the fact that there are many many many academies and players and and an organized college atmosphere for tennis in the country.

and as another person mentioned so so so many greats from America, more than anywhere else. just in the Open Era alone : Connors, Mccenroe, Ashe, Billy King Jean, Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Michael CHang, Andy Roddick

not to mention outside of the Open Era one of the greastest ever was Bill Tilden

United STates is one of the places with earliest roots for tennis too, US Open being one of the oldest tournaments around

and really there aren't THAT many tournaments in the U.S. I mean for gods sake the United States is as large as the entire continent of Europe, 11 tournaments spread across is not that insane

given the size, history, and stature of the country, it's not remarkable whatsoever

a better question would be what is going on with the void with Russian tennis tournaments or maybe why does Spain have so limited big events with such a huge field coming from that area

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #19
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #20
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If events aren't getting fans, move them. Money or not, they should not allow events in places where no one watches. Disgusting to think it happens.
....? Well that's why the US has them...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #21
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
Glasgow would eventually like an ATP event, and rightly so. Its a joke that the Scottish slam champion only gets to play in his birth city when a Davis Cup tie is on, and usually against garbage opposition.
What would the main prize be? Lifetime supply of haggis?

Frauderer will NEVER win another slam
Crocodilovic will fall
Nadal will reclaim number #1 in 2015.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #22
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
At least people occasionally show up to events in America. Better than completely empty stadiums in China.
I remember the TMC in Houston what a disgrace, not even the final was at full capacity. Why Houston? same reason US hosts so many tournaments: Money.
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
....? Well that's why the US has them...
...? I'm pretty sure there's places that would sell out other than the USA.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Americans spend money. The people who go to tennis events are typically upper class.

Plus America is a large country. The northeast,south and west are far far apart.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

The US is the same size as continental Europe. I don't think the US has too many events when you take that into account. Even with 11 events a large percentage of Americans are still no where close to a tournament.

Winner:2012 Madrid, 2011 Rome, 2009 Delray Beach, Montreal 2008 Toronto, 2007 New Haven, 2005 St. Petersburg

TT Singles Career High: 7
TT Doubles Career High: 4

Singles Winner: 2010 Bucharest, 2007 Indian Wells
Doubles Winner: 2012 San Jose, Queens (w/hallso) 2011 Los Angeles (w/hallso)
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
America really does not have that many when you consider the vast # of tennis players in the country. just because currently there aren't that many awesome American pros in the ATP does not discount the fact that there are many many many academies and players and and an organized college atmosphere for tennis in the country.

and as another person mentioned so so so many greats from America, more than anywhere else. just in the Open Era alone : Connors, Mccenroe, Ashe, Billy King Jean, Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Michael CHang, Andy Roddick

not to mention outside of the Open Era one of the greastest ever was Bill Tilden

United STates is one of the places with earliest roots for tennis too, US Open being one of the oldest tournaments around

and really there aren't THAT many tournaments in the U.S. I mean for gods sake the United States is as large as the entire continent of Europe, 11 tournaments spread across is not that insane

given the size, history, and stature of the country, it's not remarkable whatsoever

a better question would be what is going on with the void with Russian tennis tournaments or maybe why does Spain have so limited big events with such a huge field coming from that area

ITA with everything. I think a lot of people not from the US forget how large and spread apart this country is. 11 tournaments is not many for a country of this size.

Also, why give a country a tournament if there is only one or a handful of players that just came up recently? A lot of countries do not have a tennis tradition or culture...putting a tournament there is doomed to failure, especially if it is not a wealthy country.
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If events aren't getting fans, move them. Money or not, they should not allow events in places where no one watches. Disgusting to think it happens.
You are so naive The clause "money or not" is so nonsensical. Tournaments are held wherever people want to pay for them (and the ATP deems it is safe, and if they fit somewhat logically in the calendar). You can't just dismiss "money or not" offhand

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
country flag Brit Tennis Fan

Brit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond repute

If you go back to 2008 there were 14 tournaments in the US, this year there will be 12 and next year there will be 11. Furthermore Memphis gets downgraded to a 250 next year so we are seeing some more diverse locations and less Tennis in the US. However the US will continue to have a large number of events because of obvious financial reasons, the geographical scale of the country and its tennis history.
Brit Tennis Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
country flag FleetSeb

FleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond repute

The US is also much bigger than Europe to be fair. So if you consider someone from, North Dakota for instance would have to travel quite far to their nearest event. (Which I think would be Cincy?) Indeed much further than someone travelling from say Serbia to Croatia etc. You kind of have to consider the US, Mexico and Canada events together in the same way as considering European events as a whole IMO.

Gilles Simon - Juan Martin del Potro - Grigor Dimitrov

Pablo Andujar - Philipp Petzschner - David Ferrer - Mikhail Youzhny - Simone Bolelli

Julien Benneteau - Juan Monaco - Tommy Haas - Gianluigi Quinzi - Tommy Robredo - Guido Pella - Lleyton Hewitt
FleetSeb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #30
country flag Zenjo

Zenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond repute

The whole ATP circuit kicked off in America, and it used to have a much higher percentage of tournaments than it does today. If you look back to the 70's and 80's then it was only really in the summer that players even had to fly overseas for the French and Wimbledon. Over the decades you'd see the tennis calender becoming more and more globalised, and I wouldn't be surprised if the US has a proportionally smaller amount of ATP tournaments than it ever has.