Novak's net play and overheads improving? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
country flag mwirmm

mwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Novak's net play and overheads improving?

I thought id bring something up that got my attention during the final of the AO. Djokovic had an unusually high amount of points won at the net...and an unusually low number of smashes that were shanked (Even when he hit one horribly it slid of the top of the net into Andy's court).

Hers the net points stat for Novak

35/41 (85 %) in comparison to Federer's semi final display of 29/44 (66 %).

Keep in mind that Novak played a 4 set match with much less points played than in the semi-final.

We can also take into consideration that Novak was hitting many unforced errors off the baseline so during the match he actually mixed up his baseline play with a very solid display at the net at some crucial moments..the thing is that it worked like a charm unlike most of his matches that ive watched.

Now im not saying that Novak is an excellent volley-er, but it seems to me that hes learning to pick his moments much better..and is realizing many more opportunities to finish points at the net than before.

Add to this that he didn't shank an overhead during the whole match..I think that this could be a subject worth discussing.

And yes this is my first post so go easy on me .
mwirmm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak's net play and overheads improving?

Using the net stats is useless since it counts approach shot winners as net points, as well as retrieving a dropshot, etc, even if no volley is played.

That being said, he definitely made more of an effort to get forward against Murray. Maybe he finally realised that two counterpunchers at the baseline will just wear each other out.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

His overheads still suck. But yeah, he improved his net game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
NBA All star game MVP awards:

Bieber 1
Federer 0

Forget popularity, Bieber is even a better athlete than the old man.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

of course Edberg like
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

they still suck donkey balls but who cares...

volleying isn't a required talent in today's game... mug era.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
country flag mwirmm

mwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond reputemwirmm has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh i think it made a difference though

TO be honest his baseline play was pretty sub-par for most of the match with lots of unforced errors.

Usually hed just get frustrated and hit out a few forehands and lose his service at a crucial moment.

We saw some quality serves and approaches from Nole in the Final which I think contributed to him not getting broken
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

It's improving. His overhead is all arm, that's what he needs to improve.

What I was most impressed during this tournament was his serve. It's getting better and better, it was better last year than in 2011 and it looked even better now. Getting back the 2008 serve
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Using the net stats is useless since it counts approach shot winners as net points, as well as retrieving a dropshot, etc, even if no volley is played.

That being said, he definitely made more of an effort to get forward against Murray. Maybe he finally realised that two counterpunchers at the baseline will just wear each other out.
exactly. Novak had a great number of approach winners. It's not that he really used coming to the net as a weapon, and I'm actually glad he didn't.

He was more aggressive player than Andy, but he usually is.

It is Murray who has improved more and probably will continue to do so.

I also see a lot of free space for Novak to improve, including net play of course. And his serve is still not where it can be although it is visibly better.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
country flag Okram04

Okram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond reputeOkram04 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that this is not coincidence. He is improving every aspect of his game as time goes by and he is very clever about it. You could see that even his backhand slice was on par with Andy's. He is becoming very very complete player in every aspect. Every single skill he has, except the smash, is surely within top 10 or 5 of all players. He has no obvious weakness that any of his opponents might exploit. That is one of the things that makes him this strong.
Okram04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okram04 View Post
I think that this is not coincidence. He is improving every aspect of his game as time goes by and he is very clever about it. You could see that even his backhand slice was on par with Andy's. He is becoming very very complete player in every aspect. Every single skill he has, except the smash, is surely within top 10 or 5 of all players. He has no obvious weakness that any of his opponents might exploit. That is one of the things that makes him this strong.
Wrong on both counts.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic is horrible at the net. He needs easy volleys to actually do anything. His overheards suck to. Probably the worst of the Big 4 at the net.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 474-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

85% (35/41) net efficiency for nole in the finals is just mind boggling. and on the other side of the net was the guy who apparently likes the target

Last edited by tektonac : 01-30-2013 at 06:30 PM.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
country flag mwirmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Djokovic is horrible at the net. He needs easy volleys to actually do anything. His overheards suck to. Probably the worst of the Big 4 at the net.
You need to create an easy volley, you don't have them gifted to you. His overheads are horrible and he usually never goes through a big match without shanking an easy overhead. In the final he got them all in
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone just say his backhand slice is on par with Andy's??

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 474-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Did someone just say his backhand slice is on par with Andy's??
no but he played it more often than Andy in the final and had more net points
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote