Fitzpatrick about prize money: very interesting article - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitzpatrick about prize money: very interesting article

The prizemoney at the top end of the sport has inflated at an insane rate compared to the lower levels. They're all making enough that it should distributed a big more evenly IMO. The top players get more from sponsors anyway..

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Very hard for those away from Europe to get anywhere in futures. The distances are so much greater, and fewer events.

For example, this week there are 8 futures: 4 in Europe, 1 USA, 1 Colombia, 1 Panama, 1 India. Next week there are 7: 4 Europe, 1 Colombia, 1 Costa Rica, 1 India.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
ITF - "If you're 23 and 509th in the World, either find a real job or find sponsors, we don't have money to waste".

Fair.
endless trolling

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #19

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Very hard for those away from Europe to get anywhere in futures. The distances are so much greater, and fewer events.

For example, this week there are 8 futures: 4 in Europe, 1 USA, 1 Colombia, 1 Panama, 1 India. Next week there are 7: 4 Europe, 1 Colombia, 1 Costa Rica, 1 India.
meanwhile, the field is way stronger in every european future than in south america or asia

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
country flag latso
Banned!

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmartins View Post
I was not talking about what it is like AT PRESENT, I was talking about what is your opinion on the matter. If you agree with ITF/ATP that roughly 200 athletes should be able to make a living, then your statement is fair, of course. If you think, I don't know, 2000 athletes should be able to do so, then it's not fair. I was only pointing that the "fairness" of your claim depends on personal opinions.
yes, indeed it's my personal opinion. I believe that the number of pros making a living of the sport is fairly around the 300 mark (maximum).

The system is developed this way in order to secure a constant flow of upcoming talents, by giving serious amounts to the TAs, which distribute them to the top youngsters, which is again - money from tennis, for the future of tennis.

If these amounts would stop being distributed to TAs and it goes directly into prize money of lower level tournaments (and having more of them), we'd have players at average and bad level making a living and being in the way of the promising young talents, which latter would get demotivated early on.

On the other side it's fairly hard to find sponsors when you haven't achieved anything (99.9% of the coming juniors), so they would have to start with money from the parents only, which makes it impossible to have a wide base of the pyramid in order to elect the few good ones, who'll climb up.

So older players (above 22 - 23yo) should either make their own money already, or if they feel they have it to become late bloomers - convince sponsors.

That's a fair distribution system, which secures high pays to the top players (top 100) and secures a constant flow of young talents.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
country flag latso
Banned!

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrerero loco View Post
endless trolling
i wrote half a page of arguments and dissection of the whole system for not so smart ppl like you to understand.

Now bring me your arguments and let's discuss.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
country flag latso
Banned!

Quote:

it's one longer flight per year to get to Europe from anywhere in the World.

And except for Australia, there is a coverage of most the World in the mentioned schedule, with more in the places producing more players, like Europe and SA, which is normal, isn't it?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #23

Quote:
yes, indeed it's my personal opinion. I believe that the number of pros making a living of the sport is fairly around the 300 mark (maximum).

The system is developed this way in order to secure a constant flow of upcoming talents, by giving serious amounts to the TAs, which distribute them to the top youngsters, which is again - money from tennis, for the future of tennis.

If these amounts would stop being distributed to TAs and it goes directly into prize money of lower level tournaments (and having more of them), we'd have players at average and bad level making a living and being in the way of the promising young talents, which latter would get demotivated early on.

On the other side it's fairly hard to find sponsors when you haven't achieved anything (99.9% of the coming juniors), so they would have to start with money from the parents only, which makes it impossible to have a wide base of the pyramid in order to elect the few good ones, who'll climb up.

So older players (above 22 - 23yo) should either make their own money already, or if they feel they have it to become late bloomers - convince sponsors.

That's a fair distribution system, which secures high pays to the top players (top 100) and secures a constant flow of young talents.
they dont give the money to those youngsters. they keep the money for themselves
just look at tennis australia if not

right now 22-23 is not older. just look at how many people under 22-23 are in top 100 actually

i dont want tennis to become a sport where the things you can achieve or not, depend on the money your parents have. this is just not fair

Henkka Kontinen
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
i wrote half a page of arguments and dissection of the whole system for not so smart ppl like you to understand.

Now bring me your arguments and let's discuss.
coming from the guy who started the thread "verdasco is going to win this australian open"
ok guy, ok

Henkka Kontinen
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
country flag latso
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrerero loco View Post
they dont give the money to those youngsters. they keep the money for themselves
just look at tennis australia if not

right now 22-23 is not older. just look at how many people under 22-23 are in top 100 actually

i dont want tennis to become a sport where the things you can achieve or not, depend on the money your parents have. this is just not fair
that's just silly kid's talk.

Please someone who has any serious arguments say anything
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it's one longer flight per year to get to Europe from anywhere in the World.
Sure - but that flight costs quite a chunk compared to most midlevel futures players' incomes. In Europe it'll often just be <100 euro train fare, so they can play week after week after week, racking up points and experience. For example, look at the number of players in this month who play the four German futures in back to back weeks.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
country flag Houstonko

Houstonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond repute

Do Nadal and Federer play Futures in the past? I doubt so. They jumped to ATP tournaments pretty fast due to good supporting background and sponsers.

Nadal made top 10 like a year. Fed made top 20 like in 2 years. Money too easy for their skills.
Houstonko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
country flag latso
Banned!

Quote:
Sure - but that flight costs quite a chunk compared to most midlevel futures players' incomes. In Europe it'll often just be <100 euro train fare, so they can play week after week after week, racking up points and experience. For example, look at the number of players in this month who play the four German futures in back to back weeks.
I was giving Turkey as an example before, as there you have only a couple weeks without a futures per year.

Overall i believe it's hard mostly for Aussies, as pretty much everywhere else there are enough futures.

But on the other hand this is eventually anticipated as a problem, as the Aussi TA is among the richest ones and they certainly support their youngsters well enough.

I personally feel for Daniel King Turner, who is probably farthest of them all and he's a real globe trotter, but being the best Kiwi out there i believe he gets some support as well.

There are interesting stories about his life on tour in his website that i read recently, in which he isn't complaining that much about his life actually, despite he's nowhere at the moment and at an age when you have to make decisions..
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
country flag Houstonko

Houstonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonko has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is really tough, much more tougher than soccer and NBA. Imagine only 100 players in the world make something, from 50-100 there are doubts they make comfortable money too. Players like Yen Hsun Lu at one point don't have money for coach.

Playing in soccer div 2 league is able to live comfortably. In NBA all of them are rich regardless of team.
Houstonko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonko View Post
Do Nadal and Federer play Futures in the past? I doubt so. They jumped to ATP tournaments pretty fast due to good supporting background and sponsers.

Nadal made top 10 like a year. Fed made top 20 like in 2 years. Money too easy for their skills.
lol, not all people is like nadal and federer, plus yeah, they have played futures in the past of course

Henkka Kontinen