Match report from the Hong Kong final - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-02-2002, 10:03 PM   #1
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Match report from the Hong Kong final

Here's the match report I promised!

Some general notes: They both came out with guns blazing and great serving. In fact, the quality of their serves was great throughout the match. Very few double faults. Ferrero comes out wearing white in the first set, but then wears black for the rest of the match. The conditions are very humid, so the shirts cling to them like glue.

The match was fantastic, particularly the 3rd set. I was happy to see Juanqui finally play a terrific final. Even the commentators kept praising the quality of the match. Both players gave it their best and the match was as tight as they come. Huge hitting, but predictably not many forays to the net, where JC is still vulnerable.

Eurosport showed almost the entire match and only skipped a few games, so here is my full report. The commentators were Chris Bradman and Threw McMillan (I’ve no idea if I spelt this correctly). I repeat, I’m not an expert, so take these notes with a grain of salt.

1. SET:

GAME 1: Moya serves first.
15-0 netted return
30-0 service winner
30-15 some wonderful shots by both, Moya puts a BH just wide.
40-15 service winner out wide
0-1 ace down the T
Impressive serving by Moya.

GAME 2:
15-0 great serve down the T, Moya can’t quite get to the ball and puts it wide
30-0 ace down the T
40-0 big hitting by Ferrero, ends it with a wonderful cross-court FH
1-1 UE for Moya, very long

GAME 3:
15-0 service winner out wide
15-15 Moya dictating the point but great defence by Ferrero. Moya finally misses a drop shot, but not by much. Good rally.
30-15 Ferrero puts the second serve return wide
40-15 Great serve out wide that leaves the court wide open for Moya
1-2 Another good serve and an easy put-away volley finish the game

GAME 6: Ferrero’s serve
0-15 UE by Ferrero, nets a BH
15-15 very deep FH, Moya overhits it and it sails long
15-30 UE by Ferrero, he takes a risk but FH goes long, under pressure now
30-30 ace out wide, but Moya doesn’t believe it was in. The ruling stands.
30-40 a bad miss by Ferrero, his FH well wide and he’s in trouble
40-40 saves it with a great serve and an even better BH down the line
A-40 wonderful rally, deep hitting by both, finally Moya puts a FH long.
3-3 service winner out wide

GAME 7:
15-0 service winner
15-15 Ferrero’s BH hits the back line, forcing Moya to hit his FH wide
15-30 Moya puts a FH just wide
15-40 terrific rally, but after a powerful BH by JC, Moya puts his own BH wide and we have two break points
30-40 Ferrero puts a return just wide, because he attacked a kick serve
40-40 beautifully constructed point by Moya, he hits a terrific FH that JC can’t get to
A-40 Moya doesn’t hit a lot of first serves in in this game, but JC nets a cross-court FH
40-40 this time he does hit a first serve in, but it’s called out (maybe it was just an automatic reaction by the linesman ) it is immediately corrected, but Moya is pissed off because it was well in (several inches). In the second attempt Moya clips the net and the ball flies off
40-A spectacular return by JC and it’s another break point
40-40 Moya is in charge of that rally, finishes by a FH into an open court
40-A Moya puts a FH well out break point # 4
4-3 Moya is running JC from side to side, then moves to the net, but when JC hits a great passing shot, the ball clips the net and flies straight into Moya’s body. First break to Ferrero.

GAME 8:
0-15 long rally, Moya hits a terrific cross-court BH on the run
0-30 JC nets a FH that he had a lot of time to prepare for
15-30 great ralley, two great BHs by Ferrero, but he finishes the point off with a FH. Great defence by Moya though.
30-30 the bad-call scenario is repeated for Ferrero. It’s the same linejudge lol. The ball is clearly in, called out, immediate correction. Not only JC, even Moya is laughing and scratching his head in amazement. Bad return by Moya, his concentration was probably shot.
40-30 Moya nets a return
40-40 good service, long rally, Moya hits a clever BH down the line, followed by a cross-court FH
A-40 JC in total control. Great serve followed up by a nice volley.
40-40 terrific return by Moya. He took it on very early.
40-A UE by JC (FH goes long) brings Moya a break point
40-40 Moya nets a forehand
A-40 service winner
5-3 Moya UE, FH goes wide.

GAME 9:
0-15 wonderful return by JC, Moya nets a FH in response
0-30 great serve sets the point up nicely for Moya but then he hits a drive valley way wide
0-40 powerful return winner, 3 set points
15-40 good S&V
6-3 a badly netted FH by Moya and the first set goes to Ferrero
Layla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute

2. SET:

GAME 1: Ferrero to serve.
15-0 good aggressive play by JC, he moves to the net but doesn’t have to as Moya mishits
30-0 UE by Moya, netted FH
30-15 Moya great at the net, several volleys put this point in the bag for him
30-30 UE by JC, FH just long
40-30 power-shooting by both, Moya puts it just wide
40-40 a long rally, both taking the ball very early, finally JC puts a FH long, terrific movement by both
40-A great play by Moya, he is running JC from side to side and finishes with a volley, BP
0-1 good serve but then JC smashes a volley out. It whizzed by so fast I thought it was in, but no such luck Moya gets the break

GAME 2:
15-0 service winner
15-15 Moya goes for a big BH but nets it
30-15 very long rally from the baseline, finally JC nets a BH
40-15 JC puts a FH on the run just long. lol I think Moya might be arguing the call here, which would be really bizarre, either way, he’s not amused by judging
0-2 a powerful FH by Moya forces JC to hit the net

GAME 3:
0-15 baseline rally, deep hitting, JC puts a FH long
0-30 terrific point but it ends with UE by JC (netted BH)
0-40 another netted BH for Ferrero and he can’t find his first serve at the moment. 3 break points
0-3 still no sign of a first serve. Moya makes a funny jump/skip when he returns but the next BH is so deep that JC smashes the ball into the net. Double break lead for Moya.

GAME 6: Moya serves
0-15 Moya puts a BH down the line wide
15-15 ace out wide
15-30 Moya nets a BH
30-30 FH winner by Moya
40-30 great shooting by Ferrero until he misses a FH badly
1-5 ace down the T

GAME 7:
0-15 Moya returns deep and Ferrero’s BH sails wide
15-15 fantastic rally by both, all the shots very deep, catching the lines and then when Ferrero’s ball is a bit shorter, Moya hits a FH way out
15-30 first double fault of the match. The second serve caught the line I think and Ferrero was definitely not happy but didn’t complain
15-40 Moya returns deep and Ferrero’s FH sails wide, 2 set points
30-40 ferocious FH cross-court saves it.
1-6 now Moya goes for the big shots, eager to close out the set and it works, JC nets a forehand. Again no first serves in this game Second set to Moya.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
Layla

3. SET:

GAME 1: Moya serves
15-0 great serve, JC nets a BH on the run
30-0 best point of the match so far, clever choice of shots from both players, JC approaches the net, saves one fantastic BH passing shot, Moya runs to the ball with lightning speed, puts it across the net, but JC misses a volley.
40-0 great serves sets up an easy drive volley
0-1 Moya gets lucky. His BH was going out but it clips the net and veers in.

Lol @ the commentators:

JC looking discontent and shaking his head.
CB: He still can’t believe it, Ferrero. It did clip the line though. No matter how much he looks at it, it’s not gonna change it. Of the last 8 games played, he’s only won the one game Ferrero. No wonder he’s looking a little perplexed.
TM: And it’s not as if he’s played badly.
CB: (laughing) He would’ve beaten most players on the second set perfomance.

GAME 2:
15-0 great second serve (kick) and Moya’s lob goes out
30-0 great point by JC, he finished it off with a good volley
40-0 again total control by JC, great serve down the T, followed by a deep FH
1-1 another great serve, Moya’s return goes wide

GAME 3:
15-0 FH winner by Moya
30-0 great point by Moya, his drive volley clips the line. The crowd seems to think it’s out and nobody trusts the linesmen anymore.
40-0 FH winner by Moya
40-15 Moya nets a forehand
40-30 Moya double-faults
40-40 Moya nets a BH, the commentator said he took the foot off the accelerator and he did
40-A Moya in control of the point, but JC’s phenomenal defence keeps the ball in play until Moya hits a FH a mile out. Break point for Ferrero.
2-1 long rally, Moya puts a BH down the line wide and Ferrero gets the break.
Commentators: The sheer power is amazing out here, the crowd are showing that in their faces.

GAME 4:
0-15 great play by Moya, good return, JC’s ball is a little short and Moya attacks it with a ferocious BH
0-30 Moya’s deep return of a weak serve forces JC to net a BH
15-30 very long rally, JC’s shots are forceful but not very long, after a very short ball by JC (struggling to get to Moya’s big FH), Moya attacks with a FH, but JC produces a phenomenal FH pass The crowd is screaming.
15-40 long point, JC’s cross-court FH sails wide and it’s break-back point for Moya
2-2 super play by Moya, a killer BH sets up the point and he finishes it off with a volley

GAME 5:
15-0 Moya in control of the point but his BH volley clips the net, JC gets to it but puts it wide
30-0 great service, JC’s return is out
40-0 JC nets a BH on the run
2-3 great serve, followed by a cross-court FH winner

GAME 6:
15-0 good serve sets up a killer cross-court FH winner
30-0 Moya keeps Ferrero pinned way in the back but then makes a UE when attempting a BH down the line
40-0 great serve, Moya’s return is long
3-3 a ferocious FH winner by Ferrero

GAME 7:
15-0 long rally from the baseline, JC hits a great BH down the line but Moya gets to it, JC responds with a FH to the same side but it’s not powerful enough, Moya responds with a killer FH down the line, JC lunges but can’t put the ball across the net. I think he bruised his hand a little bit, he looks at it while he’s getting up
30-0 great baseline rally, all balls are very deep, finally Moya’s ball falls short, JC attack with what should have been a FH winner but then nets a low-volley at the net
30-15 giant BH cross-court winner by Ferrero
40-15 Moya in control of the point, finishes it off with a drive volley
40-30 great return by JC keeps the ball in play, Moya hits a BH wide
3-4 long and powerful rally, finally Moya moves to the net and finishes it with a volley that just clips the line

GAME 8:
Lol @ the commentators. CB: The drama continues. It’s that close that my money’s on the Spaniard. TM: Sticking your neck out huh?
15-0 clever second serve, Moya’s return in wide
30-0 another good second serve, Moya’s return is wide
40-0 Moya nets a BH
4-4 service winner, easy service game for Ferrero

GAME 9:
15-0 great serve, return too short, Moya hits a FH winner
30-0 Ferrero attempts a huge FH but it goes long
30-15 long rally, Moya mishits a FH
40-15 hilarious point, JC seems in control, hits a drop-shot but it’s not short enough, Moya gets to it, JC attempts to pass him but Moya sticks his hand out in reflex and achieves a superb drop-shot. He even applogizes for it.
4-5 great serve

You won’t believe this, but they’re showing Ferrero sitting in his chair shirtless for almost a minute He’s looking very muscular and strong. I love these commentators (I know I’ve said that many times before). CB: Looks pretty fit though, doesn’t he *laughs* There’s quite a few situps in this torso I think. TM: Yes, he’s strong. I was making the point earlier in the week that he looks in fine fettle Ferrero. Looks like he’s been working hard. I know he said he came into this tournament feeling really well prepared. Did some hard work in Spain.

GAME 10:
15-0 ace out wide
30-0 ace down the T, Moya thinks it’s wide
40-0 Moya nets a BH
40-15 great second serve down the T but an amazing return by Moya
5-5 great serve down the T, Moya nets the return

GAME 11:
15-0 aggressive play by Moya, big FH seals it
30-0 Ferrero attempts a giant cross-court FH but it goes wide
40-0 Ferrero nets a return
5-6 huge serve by Moya, love service game

GAME 12:
15-0 good serve sets up a killer FH by Ferrero
30-0 huge hitting by Ferrero, Moya’s BH goes way out
40-0 Moya mishits a kick serve
6-6 aggressive play by Ferrero, awesome serve out wide and a ferocious FH

Tie-break! The drama is at its peak, the crowd is screaming both their names.

Moya serves first.
1-0 Moya sets up a perfect point but his FH sails just wide
2-0 long baseline rally, Moya cracks first and nets a FH
2-1 good serve, but then JC nets a FH, a give-away point
2-2 great strategy by Moya, he finishes the point with the third consecutive FH in the same corner, wrong-footing Ferrero
2-3 Moya attempts a drop-shot but it’s too long, JC gets too it without a problem, but he doesn’t hit it long enough and Moya executes a great passing shot down the line. He can’t believe he got away with that and he’s hopping around like a kangoroo.
3-3 great serve out wide, Moya’s return goes long
4-3 good serve, then JC goes for a cross-court BH, ball comes back and JC hits a remarkable low volley, probably his best point at the net, the commentators are drooling over it.
5-3 Moya attempts a drop shot, again it’s too long, JC punishes him with a BH, the ball comes back but JC saves it with a superb FH volley. This is the first time I see him clench his fist in triumph in this match. He knows how important this mini-break point is, but I think he’s also celebrating two brilliant points at the net in a row.
5-4 Ferrero’s return is very short, Moya attacks it at the net but Ferrero gets to it, unfortunately the lob is just a fraction wide
6-4 great second serve out wide, long baseline rally, Moya finally hits a BH down the line quite a bit wide. 2 MATCH POINTS!
7-4 sweat is dripping from Ferrero’s chin. And an ace down the T seals the match! Juanqui raises his hands in victory and cries Vamos! The crowd is ecstatic and so am I!

Old 10-02-2002, 10:10 PM   #4
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Layla
You won’t believe this, but they’re showing Ferrero sitting in his chair shirtless for almost a minute He’s looking very muscular and strong. I love these commentators (I know I’ve said that many times before). CB: Looks pretty fit though, doesn’t he *laughs* There’s quite a few situps in this torso I think. TM: Yes, he’s strong. I was making the point earlier in the week that he looks in fine fettle Ferrero. Looks like he’s been working hard. I know he said he came into this tournament feeling really well prepared. Did some hard work in Spain.
LMAO!! I wish I could have your commentators, even if just for a match! They sound awesome.

Thanks for the match report. You are soooooo lucky to have seen this--it's not every day we witness Juanqui getting so pumped up that he shouts after a match. Mmm, night match

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
Vera

Vera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond reputeVera has a reputation beyond repute

Bravo! to your report, Layla.

I'm loving those commentator's quote, these guys are great.
And I'm extremely jealous that you got to see it. But then, really happy that at least one of us saw it and share with us. So thank you thank you thank you
Vera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:52 PM   #6
Leo7

Leo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, thanks a bunch Layla. we really appreciated that. i'm so happy that he finished it off with an ace, incredible. it must have been an excellent match...damn US coverage!

lol @ the commentators. the must be a funny couple!
"Ferrero's going to be a tough one for anybody. This guy is the real deal already. He's got a chance at going a long, long way. This guy could be the best Spanish player ever; that's saying something." - John McEnroe, June 2000

[marquee] Hey Emma [/marquee]

Leo7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:11 AM   #7
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hehe

Funny stuff, those commentators

I've seen him live 5 times and he never changed shirts during those matches, no fair

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
Leo7

Leo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond repute

5 times becca?! i'm extremely jealous!
"Ferrero's going to be a tough one for anybody. This guy is the real deal already. He's got a chance at going a long, long way. This guy could be the best Spanish player ever; that's saying something." - John McEnroe, June 2000

Old 10-03-2002, 11:38 PM   #9
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jealous too

Great report Layla!

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Yes FIVE times Twice in Montreal 2001 (my *first* time ), twice in Toronto 2002, and once at the US Open 2002. 14 glorious sets in all

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:06 PM   #11
Leo7

oh right, i forgot that you saw him play this year in Canada.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:56 PM   #12
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo7
oh right, i forgot that you saw him play this year in Canada.
How could you forget the blue underwear incident?

Oh, right . . .

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 12:57 AM   #13
Leo7

Quote:
Originally posted by TennisHack

How could you forget the blue underwear incident?

Oh, right . . .
oh yes, shame on me for forgetting!