32 seeds draw ? when was it introduced ? And what you think about it ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default 32 seeds draw ? when was it introduced ? And what you think about it ?

It seems that at wimbledon 2001 the 32 seeds were introduced ? Or am i wrong ? I kinda liked 16 seeds more , pity i wasn't old enough to watch tennis then ...

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32 seeds draw ? when was it introduced ? And what you think about it ?

Yes, Wimbledon 2001. And its pure shit, like modern tennis in general
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32 seeds draw ? when was it introduced ? And what you think about it ?

get rid of seeding system altogether please, way more fun, more upsets and more surprise runs.

another added bonus is the speculation about rigged draws will go through the roof

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"

Last edited by Jverweij : 01-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's rubbish. You end up with a bunch of mug players getting easy draws they don't deserve, and it reduces the number of good matchups in the early rounds.

When there were only 16 seeds, getting one actually meant something.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Yeah it's rubbish. You end up with a bunch of mug players getting easy draws they don't deserve, and it reduces the number of good matchups in the early rounds.

When there were only 16 seeds, getting one actually meant something.
What was the reason/explanation behind it?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

It originated because prior to 2001 the 16 seeds at Wimbledon used to be adjusted by the tournament committee based on prior grass court performances. Clay court players were quite upset at this because often they would be quite highly ranked and miss out on a seed because they were rubbish on grass (which I think is fair enough, but whatever).

As a result, Wimbledon changed the seeding rules to make it formula-based, and give most of the weight to the rankings and a far smaller weighting to grass court performances (to the point that nowadays, the Wimbledon seedings almost completely reflect the ATP rankings). But as a compromise they doubled the number of seeds (so that the grass court players who now missed out to dirtballers still got a seeding).

Once Wimbledon did 32 seeds, the rest of the Slams followed suit.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
get rid of draws altogether please, way more fun, more upsets and more surprise runs.

another added bonus is the speculation about rigged draws will go through the roof
Yeah, get rid of the draw, whichever player comes to the court 1st (and 2nd) plays.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Yeah, get rid of the draw, whichever player comes to the court 1st (and 2nd) plays.
thank you for pointing it out :P seedings ofc

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

an article about that : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...n-boycott.html

And was it from Wimbledon 2001 as well that was introduced that rule of players ranked 1-4 not having to face seeds 9-12 in R16, and players ranked 1-8 not having to face seeds 17-24 in R32 ?
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

16 in Grand Slams and 8 in Masters events is what I consider the ideal.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
get rid of seeding system altogether please, way more fun, more upsets and more surprise runs.

This man speaks the truth.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
country flag bouncer7

bouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond repute

4 or 8 seeds. who cares for mugs
bouncer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
country flag Zenjo

Zenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond repute

It just brought Grand Slams in line with regular tournaments in which at least 1/4 of the players are seeded.

8 in 28/32 draws
16 in 56/64 draws
32 in 128 draws
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
country flag Mateya
Mateja Seppieva

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think it's great.

I'm looking it from player's point of view. No more brutal draws, for instance no.17-32 ranked player getting one of top seeds in the first round. The draw is way more balanced now and offers a chance for all top players to meet each other later in the tournament.
Imagine you are Seppi, ranked inside top 30. In the old times you could draw Federer in the 1st round, but thesedays you are no.21 seed.

But from fan's point of view I know it's less exciting But hey, even now you can have big upsets like Nadal-Rosol. It's just they are less frequent but so much more epic when they do happen.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour Association of tennis players without variety and plan B.
Thanks for your votes.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote