Are modern racquets and strings too good? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should racquets be more regulated

Yes 19 42.22%
No 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #61
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets and strings too good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
doesn't answer the question in the post.

If diversity means more S&V, less baseline, then we have different definitions of "diversity"

...and i'm basing mine on the dictionary
Diversity means different styles. Something that doesn't exist today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think worse racquets would mean less diversity. They would make ballbashing and grinding more difficult, thus making skillful hitting the best playing style. Of course, worse racquets would make players playing with more different shots; when baseline grinding or ballbaashing doesn't work, you need to try to win the point e.g. with a dropshot or to go to net.

I think '90s was the decade with most diversity in playing styles. That's because '90s racquets enabled many different playing styles, and court surfaces weren't yet homogenized. The homogenization of surfaces has made baseline playing the dominant playing style, going to net is often a suicide. So if you want variety, then just make the courts more different. But I think '90s courts were too different. But I think they played too differently. Worse racquets would make all surfaces play a bit similarly, and that wouldn't be about who's the fittest player but about who's the most skillful player.
In the 90s strings weren't as developed as today.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #62
country flag Mateya
Mateja Seppieva

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

blah, blah...as a player I can say that they are never too good Still waiting for a racquet to give me 200km/h serve and forehand winner when I want it.

Agree with what Burrow said.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour Association of tennis players without variety and plan B.
Vote for Mateya!
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #63
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Diversity means different styles. Something that doesn't exist today
Stepanek, Nadal, Isner, Federer, Cilic, Llodra, Almagro, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka, Djokovic, Tsonga - all different styles

so it does exist and more than before. sorry
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #64
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

....???

Amazing tennis is produced with modern raquets.

Federer, by himself could not do half his amazing shots if he didn't have a modern raquet.
-The Wawrinka and Djokovic match was AMAZING, both used modern raquets.
-Nadal Federer 2008 Wimbeldon; seen as one of the best matches of all time. They both used modern raquets.

I really don't see the argument here :/

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #65
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets too good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post

Some other sports have imposed rules to arrest the demolition of older records because of technology alone. Tennis has embraced this demolition of its history and tradition.

Racket and string development should've been stopped by 2003/2004.
if they did stop at that time, Federer would have demolished those old records even faster and more thoroughly..
maybe accomplishing a couple of CYGS on the way

The idea was that less development favours skill over power and heavy topspin, also smaller sweet spot would favour Fed as he has used one of the smallest raquet heads over the years...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #66
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Lemon Water;13221257]:
Feder's forehand would be terrible as it depends on spin as heavily as nadal's, his serve will lose all it's effectiveness and control, he would be a nothing player with an average slice and average mental strength.

Wrong. Nadals an Feds forehands are very different, and spin is generated differently. Just compare their preparation, shot execution and especially where their arms finish after the shot. Also Nadal gives the ball much higher rotation. Fed would have it much easier to acomodate his forehand for wooden raquets and it would still be a great shot.

As for serve, its ridiculous to think that old raquets wouldnt enable effectiveness and control. Check all time great serves like Gonzales', Laver's, Mc Enroe's etc.

The bolded part is just trolling and/or agenda.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #67
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stepanek, Nadal, Isner, Federer, Cilic, Llodra, Almagro, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka, Djokovic, Tsonga - all different styles

so it does exist and more than before. sorry
They're all baseliners.

And in the end, the same 4-5 get to pretty much every GS SF. The fact that 2 or 3 players are a little more aggressive than others doesn't mean there's space for diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
if they did stop at that time, Federer would have demolished those old records even faster and more thoroughly..
maybe accomplishing a couple of CYGS on the way

The idea was that less development favours skill over power and heavy topspin, also smaller sweet spot would favour Fed as he has used one of the smallest raquet heads over the years...
Compared to today's pushers and counterattackers, ok.

But you can't predict how players today would play if they didn't begin their careers with luxilon strings, for instance.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #68
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
blah, blah...as a player I can say that they are never too good Still waiting for a racquet to give me 200km/h serve and forehand winner when I want it.
I agree with you but I will add : give those pros wooden rackets for me to get a chance to make a point with my brand new extraordinary racket
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #69
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond repute

No as long as the playing field is even for everyone. And so I don't see any players being forced to use wooden racquets, so no. Sport is a constantly changing force, just like most things in life. The best adapt and thrive.
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #70
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowking View Post
No as long as the playing field is even for everyone. And so I don't see any players being forced to use wooden racquets, so no. Sport is a constantly changing force, just like most things in life. The best adapt and thrive.
How ironic is this?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #71
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

well, if Llodra, Stepanek and Tsonga are "baseliners", then OK

latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #72
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

1995-2009 The best era in tennis. The balls are now muggier/heavier thus requiring less tennis instinct,reflex,thinking and hand-eye-coordination. The Courts are now slower too , for bad consequences see the previous sentence. Mug era
Next.

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #73
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
How ironic is this?
Not at all, actually? Adaptation is a skill just like anything else. Those who best adapt will have an advantage over the field. If 2 players play in extremely windy conditions, the one who adapts and is able to win despite adversity is the better player of the match (despite what trolls say, there's no excuse). Similarly, as the sport evolves (like most everything in the world), the ones who can put in the hard work and win the most important matches deserve to be the best. People can make comparisons to other eras and times but it's all pointless in determining who's the best now. No one chooses what era they're born into, they just play and conform to the technology and rules of their time.
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #74
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Quote:
well, if Llodra, Stepanek and Tsonga are "baseliners", then OK

I recommend watching tennis before 2004. I can infer you've started watching tennis somewhen afterwards.

They're all baseliners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
1995-2009 The best era in tennis. The balls are now muggier/heavier thus requiring less tennis instinct,reflex,thinking and hand-eye-coordination. The Courts are now slower too , for bad consequences see the previous sentence. Mug era
Next.
2009? You're surely joking.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #75
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
Next.
Good point. I can't imagine what the game would look like if they kept the previous generation balls and courts. It would look like ping pong except ping pong has longer rallies. I suppose we can keep the current generation racquets. Graphite does not warp with the temp/humidity
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote