Are modern racquets and strings too good? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should racquets be more regulated

Yes 19 42.22%
No 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #46
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets and strings too good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post

If it's a matter of taking Nadal out (which would be the only change if they force them using wood), then it's stupid.
Many shots players hit today wouldn't be possible with woooden racquets.

Novak's return, backhand pass on the run/slide which is his bread and butter shot, forehand would be terrible with the extreme grip.

Feder's forehand would be terrible as it depends on spin as heavily as nadal's, his serve will lose all it's effectiveness and control, he would be a nothing player with an average slice and average mental strength.

Ferrer would retire prematurely. Murray will be least affected with the change as he could just fallback to pushing and slicing which is mostly what he does today.

AND if you disagree with what I said above, Nadal like everyone else wouldn't play the way he does if he had to play with a wooden racquet from his childhood.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #47
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
he referred to luxilon as "cheatilon".
Thanks, that was the exact term I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveks View Post
they all said - that they are better.

Look at my signature.

Tennis evolved .
Says who? Someone without any respect for tennis' history?

Players today can't tie Sampras', Borg's or Becker's shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Modern racquets are fine because all players have access to them. It's not like someone can use modern tech and the other guy is limited to wooden racquets.
No, they're not fine, they've radically changed the game. For worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Ehm, yes?! They would destroy them if they used their respective material from their time. Imagine Borg standing there with his wooden racquet trying to handle Rafa's forehand.

Modern racquets = More power, precision and spin = Higher level of tennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Seeing your posts in the Doubles forum and here, I think you have a problem with modern tennis. You are the very definition of a nostalgiatard. You clearly don't know much of what you have written. Cricket bat technology has evolved a lot over the years. You clearly don't know about the thicker bat used by Yuvraj, the heavier one by Tendulkar or the customized Gray-Nicolls one used by Symonds and Hayden, to name a few. The dimensions have a maximum and minimum and it is made out of wood are no where near "strict" parameters. Wood is a very general term, and a lot can be achieved within the set dimensions. Such equipment parameters have been set even in tennis. For example, the racquet size has a minimum and maximum dimension.
Yeah but rackets and strings may be built from just about anything.

Quote:
the main changes are in the mix of materials in a frame and the cord, which is smth impossible to control.

it's not like checking the ski's height and width, or smth measurable on court.

When it brings no harm it's always better to have as less regulations as possible. Unlike doping, which is harmful (otherwise better be free as well, so the few major pharmas would sell their product to everyone, making them even), racquet and string technology is not, so putting regulations means complicating the whole thing.

Also considering there are 4-5 major racquet producers, it's not like having a crazy uncontrolled market, where strange things happen.

Making them this way or that way - not much of a difference. In one way there will be players X, Y, Z being the best ones and with the other way player A, B, C, or maybe even the same guys, so what's the difference if it is the same for everyone?

If it's a matter of taking Nadal out (which would be the only change if they force them using wood), then it's stupid.
It is harmful. It has killed diversity in tennis.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #48
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Water View Post
Many shots players hit today wouldn't be possible with woooden racquets.

Novak's return, backhand pass on the run/slide which is his bread and butter shot, forehand would be terrible with the extreme grip.

Feder's forehand would be terrible as it depends on spin as heavily as nadal's, his serve will lose all it's effectiveness and control, he would be a nothing player with an average slice and average mental strength.

Ferrer would retire prematurely. Murray will be least affected with the change as he could just fallback to pushing and slicing which is mostly what he does today.

AND if you disagree with what I said above, Nadal like everyone else wouldn't play the way he does if he had to play with a wooden racquet from his childhood.

:doublefacepalm:
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #49
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Thanks, that was the exact term I was looking for.

Says who? Someone without any respect for tennis' history?

Players today can't tie Sampras', Borg's or Becker's shoes.

No, they're not fine, they've radically changed the game. For worse.

Yeah but rackets and strings may be built from just about anything.

It is harmful. It has killed diversity in tennis.
you'll need to define "harm" and "diversity".

I don't see much of homogeneity between Llodra/Stepanek, Wawrinka/Almagro, Cilic, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Isner, etc., etc., etc.

Coz we had diversity during wooden racquets? We had even less groups of styles and more populated ones, so the lack diversity is a big legend actually.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #50
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Borg vs McEnroe = tennis nirvana. Point construction, serve and volley, variety, enough time to savour the shots,and the cute and wonderful "ping" sound which comes off the raquet. No ball bashers allowed.

DJOKOCOASTER

Last edited by Mr. Oracle : 01-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #51
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you'll need to define "harm" and "diversity".

I don't see much of homogeneity between Llodra/Stepanek, Wawrinka/Almagro, Cilic, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Isner, etc., etc., etc.

Coz we had diversity during wooden racquets? We had even less groups of styles and more populated ones, so the lack diversity is a big legend actually.

Are you sure you're watching tennis nowadays. Players all play the same, bar a few exceptions. Endless baseline rallies. The fact that guys like Isner and Del Potro never come to the net is a perfect example of this.

Yes we had diversity and I believe you should do a lot more research on tennis in the 60s and 70s.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #52
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets too good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844
I often wish that tennis was more like cricket or baseball, which set very strict equipment parameters very early on in their history. Modern cricket bats are very different from the bats of 100 years ago, but they are still made of wood and still roughly the same dimensions. As a result the game has not changed too much due to improvements in technology.
I wish that too. It would make comparing all the generations and their styles and achievements a lot easier. Apples to apples.

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #53
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post

Are you sure you're watching tennis nowadays. Players all play the same, bar a few exceptions. Endless baseline rallies. The fact that guys like Isner and Del Potro never come to the net is a perfect example of this.

Yes we had diversity and I believe you should do a lot more research on tennis in the 60s and 70s.
doesn't answer the question in the post.

If diversity means more S&V, less baseline, then we have different definitions of "diversity"

...and i'm basing mine on the dictionary
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #54
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I think worse racquets would mean less diversity. They would make ballbashing and grinding more difficult, thus making skillful hitting the best playing style. Of course, worse racquets would make players playing with more different shots; when baseline grinding or ballbaashing doesn't work, you need to try to win the point e.g. with a dropshot or to go to net.

I think '90s was the decade with most diversity in playing styles. That's because '90s racquets enabled many different playing styles, and court surfaces weren't yet homogenized. The homogenization of surfaces has made baseline playing the dominant playing style, going to net is often a suicide. So if you want variety, then just make the courts more different. But I think '90s courts were too different. But I think they played too differently. Worse racquets would make all surfaces play a bit similarly, and that wouldn't be about who's the fittest player but about who's the most skillful player.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #55
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think worse racquets would mean less diversity. They would make ballbashing and grinding more difficult, thus making skillful hitting the best playing style. Of course, worse racquets would make players playing with more different shots; when baseline grinding or ballbaashing doesn't work, you need to try to win the point e.g. with a dropshot or to go to net.

I think '90s was the decade with most diversity in playing styles. That's because '90s racquets enabled many different playing styles, and court surfaces weren't yet homogenized. The homogenization of surfaces has made baseline playing the dominant playing style, going to net is often a suicide. So if you want variety, then just make the courts more different. But I think '90s courts were too different. But I think they played too differently. Worse racquets would make all surfaces play a bit similarly, and that wouldn't be about who's the fittest player but about who's the most skillful player.
I don't fully understand everything you say, but i agree that more diversity would be created by changing the surfaces properties, instead of doing anything with the racquets.

If they force the players to use wooden racquets the result would be having them at the net all the time, because regularity and precision from the baseline would be impossible.

And that's not exactly diversity.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #56
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't fully understand everything you say, but i agree that more diversity would be created by changing the surfaces properties, instead of doing anything with the racquets.

If they force the players to use wooden racquets the result would be having them at the net all the time, because regularity and precision from the baseline would be impossible.

And that's not exactly diversity.
There's just the problem that with current racquets, fast surfaces would be ace and bash fests, just like current slow surfaces are grindfests. Careful adjustment of racquets and surfaces would probably lead to diverse, yet skilful playing. But unfortunately, that's not what ATP/ITF want.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #57
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
There's just the problem that with current racquets, fast surfaces would be ace and bash fests, just like current slow surfaces are grindfests. Careful adjustment of racquets and surfaces would probably lead to diverse, yet skilful playing. But unfortunately, that's not what ATP/ITF want.
As you've ignored what I've previously said. I'll point it out one more time.

Rackets have not improved in around 15 years. Progress has mainly deteriorated because there came a stage where there was no improvement, and to make money, gimmicks and superficial terms like flexpoint and such were thrown around. No pro player nor competitive amateur would fall for any of this and as a result are using paintjobs, older frames and custom pro-stock rackets. The best current rackets are those moulded on those from the past, which are relatively few and far between, unless we're talking abour pro-stock. In fact, the current Head range are absolutely garbage. To go from PC600 and I'd go as far as even saying intelligence which was in market from 2001-2003, is ridiculous.

There was no universal complaints in the late 90's and early 2000's about rackets nor even strings, why? Because the surfaces were diverse.

Blame surfaces and balls, not rackets and strings.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #58
country flag bouncer7

bouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post

Blame surfaces and balls, not rackets and strings.

:wors hip:: worship::worsh ip:
bouncer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #59
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

sand paper slow courts
(and super fast clay courts) are what is fucked up in tennis

a hard court specialist (djokovic) basically can play the same game on clay and have success

strings killed off serve and volley though- with 100% sweet spots, passing shots became too easy
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #60
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how credible a source this is, being apparently affiliated with an equipment supplier, but this article measures increased spin in poly strings at lower incident angles than gut or synthetic gut but similar spin at high incident angles (i.e. it's possible to generate much spin without an extreme specialised grip for that purpose). This is fairly well known but it's interesting to see measurements and demonstration videos. It also suggests that poly strings may produce more spin due to a combination of higher stiffness, higher tension loss, and being more slippery.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...ementPart2.php
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote