Are modern racquets and strings too good? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should racquets be more regulated

Yes 19 42.22%
No 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #31
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets and strings too good?

each of them should don a pink nike tutu and prance around the court. single handed backhands should be mandatory. gut strings only. racquets should be wooden.
oh yes, and we should go back to white balls.
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Just watch wilander - vilas on youtube and be thankful you dont live in 1982.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #33
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets too good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
That's why I said "But at least I wouldn't like the racquets to improve anymore" in the OP. Going back to wooden racquets would really be not an option, it would change the modern game too much and big crowd wouldn't understand that. But freezing the racquet/string developent wouldn't have any affect to tennis' popularity. Tennis would remain just like it is, it wouldn't go backwards. And, maybe a careful regulating of racquets/strings would be possible without changing the modern tennis too much too fast. Courts were slowed down gradually, it happened by stealth for the big crowd. Similarly racquets/strings could be made worse over a longer period, and nobody would notice.
I'm sure many players would be very vocal about making racquets/strings worse, even if done gradually. Further, no regulating body could stop the companies from making 'better' racquets. When you pick a racquet for the first time, you would take whats commercially available, which would be these better racquets. Due to this it would near impossible to actually implement what you are saying.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #34
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Modern racquets are fine because all players have access to them. It's not like someone can use modern tech and the other guy is limited to wooden racquets.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #35
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
So you think players today are better than Sampras, Agassi, Becker, McEnroe, etc?
Ehm, yes?! They would destroy them if they used their respective material from their time. Imagine Borg standing there with his wooden racquet trying to handle Rafa's forehand.

Modern racquets = More power, precision and spin = Higher level of tennis

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #36
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
racket technology hasn't changed much since the mid 80’s and early 90's. fed’s racket was introduced in 1983, and tons of pros who use head are basically playing with a painted variant of the prestige pro which came out in 1986. it's the polyester strings (luxilon) which have radically altered how the game is played, not the rackets.
Yeah this. Racquets have changed a little bit but it's the strings that have influenced the game. Ridiculous amounts of power plus the spin to control it.

I often wish that tennis was more like cricket or baseball, which set very strict equipment parameters very early on in their history. Modern cricket bats are very different from the bats of 100 years ago, but they are still made of wood and still roughly the same dimensions. As a result the game has not changed too much due to improvements in technology.

I have been to retro 'woodie' tournaments where very good players (ex-Div 1 US college players and ex-satellite tour pros) play with wooden racquets on grass courts. They are awesome matches - a lot less power, but far more craftiness. Paradoxically, the power players really stood out - in a normal match the strings and racquets give everyone power, but at these tournaments its only the guys with genuine power and technique that get real heat.

I try not to be too much of a stick in the mud traditionalist, but I kind of figure that sports are designed (and become successful) on the basis of the equipment that exists at the time. The rules we all play by - the height of the net, the size of the courts, the number of serves - were designed because the people who invented the game assumed we'd all be using an old flannel ball and a wooden stick strung with catgut. If they'd known we'd have futuristic sticks capable of creating absurd and inconceivable spin, then they would have set completely different rules.

Realistically you can't go backwards though. Modern players have crafted their games to suit modern equipment. People have become used to seeing the type of tennis we see now. Which I think is unfortunate. There are a lot of things that I like about modern tennis, but the homogeneous baseline slugfest that the game has become is completely different from the way the game has been played for 90% of its history.

I don't think (m)any people want to see a return to wooden racquets but I would like to see a bit of a compromise. A limit on string technology to reduce the absurd amounts of spin we see nowadays would do a lot to introduce a bit more variety back to the sport. But I don't see it happening.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #37
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
I'm sure many players would be very vocal about making racquets/strings worse, even if done gradually. Further, no regulating body could stop the companies from making 'better' racquets. When you pick a racquet for the first time, you would take whats commercially available, which would be these better racquets. Due to this it would near impossible to actually implement what you are saying.
Well, in golf they will ban the belly putters in few years, and stricter racquet/string regulations in tennis would be a similar thing. But one big difference would be that tennis has only four contenders for major titles, golf tens of contenders. So golf can commercially afford some big names struggling. So, making racquets/strings worse is nearly impossible. But as I already said, freezing racquet/string technology would be possible, nobody would notice it. If you just set strict regulations on racquets, you can stop the companies from making 'better' racquets. Or actually you can't, but they wouldn't do those better racquets because that'd be illegal in competitions. And as strings are probably the big thing in this discussion, it would be easy to control the strings. In tournaments, racquets should be stringed with standard strings by the official stringer.

But even if ATP/ITF wanted to freeze racquet/string development, I doubt they'd do it. To be honest, ATP/ITF aren't the sanctioning bodies I trust the most. Racquet development freezing would be bad for racquet companies, you can't make a better racquet than your rival company. So for sure racquet companies wouldn't like a rule like that.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody was discussing this in the early part of the 2000's. The racket and string technology (which has not improved in a considerable period of time) are not the problem. It's the courts and balls.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #39
country flag zebedee

zebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Philippoussis served just as fast with a wooden racquet when he was put to a test.
zebedee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #40
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveks View Post
they all said - that they are better.

Look at my signature.

Tennis evolved .
What does your signature have to do with anything... So is Agassi supposed to say he is better than Novak? He is a sportsman for our sport, he is supposed to make it look good, that benefits the game a lot more, your sig proves nothing except that Agassi is a charismatic gentleman.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
racket technology hasn't changed much since the mid 80’s and early 90's. fed’s racket was introduced in 1983, and tons of pros who use head are basically playing with a painted variant of the prestige pro which came out in 1986. it's the polyester strings (luxilon) which have radically altered how the game is played, not the rackets.
the biggest changes were made in the 80s, but still this is a gross exaggeration to say that nothing has changed in the rackets which the pro-players use : frames are larger, rackets are lighter.

Fed improved dramatically when he used a larger frame, and the frame he uses at the moment is still smaller than most of the other pros'.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
I often wish that tennis was more like cricket or baseball, which set very strict equipment parameters very early on in their history. Modern cricket bats are very different from the bats of 100 years ago, but they are still made of wood and still roughly the same dimensions. As a result the game has not changed too much due to improvements in technology.
Seeing your posts in the Doubles forum and here, I think you have a problem with modern tennis. You are the very definition of a nostalgiatard. You clearly don't know much of what you have written. Cricket bat technology has evolved a lot over the years. You clearly don't know about the thicker bat used by Yuvraj, the heavier one by Tendulkar or the customized Gray-Nicolls one used by Symonds and Hayden, to name a few. The dimensions have a maximum and minimum and it is made out of wood are no where near "strict" parameters. Wood is a very general term, and a lot can be achieved within the set dimensions. Such equipment parameters have been set even in tennis. For example, the racquet size has a minimum and maximum dimension.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Seeing your posts in the Doubles forum and here, I think you have a problem with modern tennis. You are the very definition of a nostalgiatard. You clearly don't know much of what you have written. Cricket bat technology has evolved a lot over the years. You clearly don't know about the thicker bat used by Yuvraj, the heavier one by Tendulkar or the customized Gray-Nicolls one used by Symonds and Hayden, to name a few. The dimensions have a maximum and minimum and it is made out of wood are no where near "strict" parameters. Wood is a very general term, and a lot can be achieved within the set dimensions. Such equipment parameters have been set even in tennis. For example, the racquet size has a minimum and maximum dimension.
I am perfectly aware of the developments in cricket bat technology. Nonetheless they have evolved nowhere near as much as tennis racquets and strings. To say otherwise merely displays one's ignorance of both sports.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #44
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

the main changes are in the mix of materials in a frame and the cord, which is smth impossible to control.

it's not like checking the ski's height and width, or smth measurable on court.

When it brings no harm it's always better to have as less regulations as possible. Unlike doping, which is harmful (otherwise better be free as well, so the few major pharmas would sell their product to everyone, making them even), racquet and string technology is not, so putting regulations means complicating the whole thing.

Also considering there are 4-5 major racquet producers, it's not like having a crazy uncontrolled market, where strange things happen.

Making them this way or that way - not much of a difference. In one way there will be players X, Y, Z being the best ones and with the other way player A, B, C, or maybe even the same guys, so what's the difference if it is the same for everyone?

If it's a matter of taking Nadal out (which would be the only change if they force them using wood), then it's stupid.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #45
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

It's the strings mainly. The modern string beds hold the ball a lot longer and impart more spin. Lessening the string effect will bring about a change back in gamestyles. Players instead of depending on spin, would start relying on power and low percentage game again. That apparently interests things for some followers here but I doubt they would enjoy it if it actually happens. Like joker would say, Nostalgiatards are like dogs chasing cars. They wouldn't know what to do if they got there.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote