Are modern racquets and strings too good? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should racquets be more regulated

Yes 19 42.22%
No 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are modern racquets and strings too good?

Racquet technology is sometimes mentioned in discussions about court speed and death of S&V. But what do you think, are modern racquets too good?

I really don't know too much about last century's tennis. But at least in '90s, fastest surfaces had turned into acefests. And I think a reason to that was improved racquets. They enabled faster and more accurate serving. On the other hand, better racquets have obviously also helped in defence. If you are just able to hit the ball, you can control the shot better than previously. A common explanation for the extinction of S&V is that with modern racquets, it's easier to hit a good return and pass the guy on net.

If the racquets were worse, it would favour more skilled players. It would be more difficult for ballbashers to blow their opponents off the court. But it would be more difficult also for grinders, it would be difficult to return shots from defending position. And who would win? The creative shotmakers. For example, only the most skilled players would be able to serve so well that they would be able to come to net. The opponent could return the serve, but it would be difficult for him to pass the guy on net.

So, if they could go the former racquets, I think tennis would be more about skills. Fastest surfaces wouldn't anymore be acefests but S&V-fests. Clay would still favour good defending, but it would be easier to beat a defence-only player with skillful playing. I'd love if they could go to '80s racquets but I guess that would be too radical a move. It would be too difficult for players to adapt to that and big crowd wouldn't necessarily understand going backwards. But at least I wouldn't like the racquets to improve anymore, better racquets mean hitting requires less skill. And I don't think regulating racquets wouldn't be against the spirit of sport. For example, they regulate skis in Alpine skiing, and sometimes make regulation changes. Why couldn't tennis also regulate racquets more? Of course, racquet manufacturers wouldn't like that. Nowadays racquets are sold by their quality, spec racquets would be sold e.g. by their paintjob.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are modern racquets too good?

I wonder why people on here are so adamant on wanting to see worse quality tennis.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah they're too good, let them go back to playing with wooden Racquets....

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like the racquets are so good that they just grip it and the racquet does the rest you know
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Not only the rackets but also the strings.

Sampras was very critical of new strings back in the early 2000s.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Not only the rackets but also the strings.

Sampras was very critical of new strings back in the early 2000s.
And Sampras's opinion is the right one?

argument.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
And Sampras's opinion is the right one?
It definitely carries a lot more weight than yours and/or one of today's players.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
I wonder why people on here are so adamant on wanting to see worse quality tennis.
Wooden racquets would've probably saved us from Simon-Monfils. I doubt if they'd even qualified to AO with wooden racquets.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

They should also play bare footed and wear only loincloth, like true Spartans. The bravest among them will dispose of loincloth of course.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
country flag ProdigyEng

Quote:
It definitely carries a lot more weight than yours and/or one of today's players.
Problem is, he isn't playing any more. His opinion is as useless as mine, because he won't have any effect on what they do with racquet's. Kinda silly how you think a retired player has more say in racquet technology than the current players, makes total sense. Let's just ignore the wishes of current players for someone who's been gone for over a decade.

argument.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Quote:
Problem is, he isn't playing any more. His opinion is as useless as mine, because he won't have any effect on what they do with racquet's. Kinda silly how you think a retired player has more say in racquet technology than the current players, makes total sense. Let's just ignore the wishes of current players for someone who's been gone for over a decade.
Are you being obtuse on purpose?

I haven't said Sampras should have a say on tennis' racket situation nowadays.

I'm saying he was vocal back in 2001/2002. So you can only imagine how much more developed strings are today.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Quote:
So you think players today are better than Sampras, Agassi, Becker, McEnroe, etc?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
country flag ProdigyEng

Quote:
Are you being obtuse on purpose?

I haven't said Sampras should have a say on tennis' racket situation nowadays.

I'm saying he was vocal back in 2001/2002. So you can only imagine how much more developed strings are today.
Apologies... seemed to me like you were suggesting he'd have more of a say. My bad.

argument.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
country flag August

Quote:
In contrast, I think it should be former, not active, players who'd have a say to rules. Active players want rules to favour them, former players want rules to favour the game.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga