Tomic will win a major for sure - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Tomic win a major/majors?

Affirmative. 32 62.75%
Negative. Next. 19 37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
country flag Dund

Dund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tomic will win a major for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post
He said in the interview that he was "tired" in the third set, which is consistent with only winning one game in that set. It's hard to see how he can win any majors --- potentially going 5 sets and upwards of 5 hours, if he's spent after playing a 34 minute first set and a 53 minute second set as was the case against Roger yesterday --- that's not even 1.5 hours of play and he's tired! ?????

Bernie seriously has to pick up his fitness if he truly wants to compete with the Big Boys. More hitting the workout rooms, less of the party rooms.

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Tomic has never worked particularly hard on his fitness until an 8 week training block at the end of last year. It has probably only very recently clicked for him on what kind of work it takes to be a top player. There is plenty of upside fitness wise if he continues in the same vein. Plus IMO he's still skinny and not as strong as he could be if he put together a more consistent and disciplined work out regime. I think he can still add more power to his groundstrokes and serve. But it's true the proof will be the next 6-12 months.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #17
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Untill yesterday Fedtards where all over him cause they felt scared for their idol, and now that he won they say he gona win slams. Hypocrits.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #18
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
he will win several majors if he upgrade his fitness, movement and attitude.
he has talent big enough
This.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #19
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He said in the interview that he was "tired" in the third set, which is consistent with only winning one game in that set. It's hard to see how he can win any majors --- potentially going 5 sets and upwards of 5 hours, if he's spent after playing a 34 minute first set and a 53 minute second set as was the case against Roger yesterday --- that's not even 1.5 hours of play and he's tired! ?????

Bernie seriously has to pick up his fitness if he truly wants to compete with the Big Boys. More hitting the workout rooms, less of the party rooms.

2 days ago he just played a brutal 4 set fight vs. Brands in 40 degrees temperature. Less than a week ago he played 5 top 50 players and beat all of them. So yes, at 20 years old, being tired after such a strong perfomance against a vintage Fed in the first 2 sets, its only normal and human.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #20
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that Honestly made such a nice and humble thread, but I am glad that you did. You scored points in my consideration.

Of course Bernie wont be as good as the GOAT, but honestly I think no one will be, at least in the next 20 years or so. He will be for sure multiple Slam winner, and will have BY FAR a more sucessful tennis carreer than current tennis "greats" like Mugray, for example. Just he has to keep this positive and focused attitude, and great achievements will be made by the aussie player!

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #21
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Its the ability to play at that level for 2 weeks in a slam . If he does that , then for sure he wins a slam . But we have yet to see him play like that

He needs to be more consistant . But yes I do agree that he will win about 3 slams in his career
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado & Gil View Post
2 days ago he just played a brutal 4 set fight vs. Brands in 40 degrees temperature. Less than a week ago he played 5 top 50 players and beat all of them. So yes, at 20 years old, being tired after such a strong perfomance against a vintage Fed in the first 2 sets, its only normal and human.
Ok, but playing back to back tough matches is what the Big Boys do all the time, and those that are in tip top condition rebound more quickly than those who are not.

A well conditioned athlete in tip top condition would have no problem recovering from matches played over a week ago --- so the Sydney campaign is irrelevant, in my opinion.

And regarding the Brands match which had a day of rest before the Federer match, it lasted less than 3 hours --- 40 minutes 1st set, 46 for the 2nd, 36 for the 3rd, and 53 for the 4th. That's a total of 175 minutes, 5 minutes shy of 3 hours. Not particularly difficult at the elite level.

In a Grand Slam, the top 10 players all can easily play a 3 hour match, have a day of rest, then easily come back to play another match and not be tired after 90 minutes.

The Big Boys want to win the Slams and they train for exactly the very long and demanding back-to-back matches that often happen in the Slams. They train to play a 5 hour match in hot conditions on day 1, have a day of rest, then play another 5 hour match in hot conditions on day 3. They train for the most grueling circumstances to outlast the less conditioned opponent. That is why they are Grand Slam champions.

Bernie needs to do this regularly in training if he wants to win more that an occasional fluke Slam. It seems he hasn't gotten this memo yet.

bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #23
country flag Kooyong

Kooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellis_lv View Post
We'll see. The hype around him is strongest this time of the year, just in time to promote the Aussie open.

I'm still not thoroughly convinced that all his shots & tricks bother most guys in the top 30. I'm sure they worked really well in the juniors and against challenger-level guys, though.
I agree with this.

The third set reminded me of the U.S Open against Andy, once it was clear Fed was on his way two sets up Tomic faded and this is something I would like to see change before jumping on the Tomic bandwagon.

I don't think Tomic at this stage has anywhere near the fighting quality than we ever saw with Hewitt.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #24
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dund View Post
Plus IMO he's still skinny and not as strong as he could be if he put together a more consistent and disciplined work out regime. I think he can still add more power to his groundstrokes and serve.
Skinny at 91 kg (from ATP site)?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #25
country flag Gusztav

Gusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond repute

For sure (in Felipe Massa's voice).
Gusztav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #26
country flag Linda R

Linda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond reputeLinda R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooyong View Post
I agree with this.

The third set reminded me of the U.S Open against Andy, once it was clear Fed was on his way two sets up Tomic faded and this is something I would like to see change before jumping on the Tomic bandwagon.

I don't think Tomic at this stage has anywhere near the fighting quality than we ever saw with Hewitt.
Exactly, he doesn't show the fighting spirit of a top ten player. Having said that Djokovic used to be a bit like that in the early days.
Linda R is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda R View Post
Exactly, he doesn't show the fighting spirit of a top ten player. Having said that Djokovic used to be a bit like that in the early days.
Yes, he doesn't show the fighting spirit when losing, but as long as there are a bevy of babes waiting for him whether he wins or loses, it won't matter to him. That was not the case with Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray --- they only wanted to win on the tennis court, not in the boudoir. That's part of Bernard's problem.
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #28
country flag arod3425

arod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair to B-nard, I feel like there were some improvements, although pretty much insignificant, if you contrast his game from last year against Roger. I do agree that he will win a major in the future.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #29
country flag Sauletekis

Quote:
Ok, but playing back to back tough matches is what the Big Boys do all the time, and those that are in tip top condition rebound more quickly than those who are not.

A well conditioned athlete in tip top condition would have no problem recovering from matches played over a week ago --- so the Sydney campaign is irrelevant, in my opinion.

And regarding the Brands match which had a day of rest before the Federer match, it lasted less than 3 hours --- 40 minutes 1st set, 46 for the 2nd, 36 for the 3rd, and 53 for the 4th. That's a total of 175 minutes, 5 minutes shy of 3 hours. Not particularly difficult at the elite level.

In a Grand Slam, the top 10 players all can easily play a 3 hour match, have a day of rest, then easily come back to play another match and not be tired after 90 minutes.

The Big Boys want to win the Slams and they train for exactly the very long and demanding back-to-back matches that often happen in the Slams. They train to play a 5 hour match in hot conditions on day 1, have a day of rest, then play another 5 hour match in hot conditions on day 3. They train for the most grueling circumstances to outlast the less conditioned opponent. That is why they are Grand Slam champions.

Bernie needs to do this regularly in training if he wants to win more that an occasional fluke Slam. It seems he hasn't gotten this memo yet.

I do agree he needs to improve his fitness, but I am also sure he will do that with time. Again, he just turned 20. Tennis is becoming more and more physically demanding, and you are no where near the endurance peak when you are 20 years old.

And about Sydney being irrelevant, then I wonder why all top players (apart from Ferrer) were not participating in any tournaments in the week before. As it is with almost all other slams before this one.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #30
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
I know he got destroyed by the GOAT, but he still played well. He showed me enough quality to convince me that he will win a major in the future, if not several. He doesn't look scared of anyone either, judging by what he says in the press. Sure he is arrogant and people don't like that, but most tennis player are arrogant because you need that to reach the top.

I am a Fedfan and am willing to admit Roger is arrogant himself. Of course not as arrogant as some claim, but like I said you need some of that to be as good as he is. I am convinced now that Tomic is the real deal and win majors. He is that good.

Discuss.
one thing is justified arrogance (roger), another thing is being a douche (tomic)
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote