AO Round 3 [14]Gilles Simon def. Gael Monfils 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 1-6, 8-6 - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #121
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AO Round 3 [14]Gilles Simon def. Gael Monfils 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 1-6, 8-6

It's hilarious that people are hailing Simon as a spartan and highlighting how much of a herculean effort this was. It's his own fault for hitting useless shots down the middle of the court and artificially making rallies 5 times longer than necessary.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #122
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AO Round 3 [14]Gilles Simon def. Gael Monfils 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 1-6, 8-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
It's hilarious that people are hailing Simon as a spartan and highlighting how much of a herculean effort this was. It's his own fault for hitting useless shots down the middle of the court and artificially making rallies 5 times longer than necessary.
Well, it takes two to rally
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #123
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like people there watching the match appreciated the players much more than MTF From the highlight vid, they cheered loudly and gave Simon a standing ovation at the end.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #124
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He is about 8st and could be knocked over by a strong wind. Simon does amazingly well for his build to hit as many winners and get the power he can (thanks to his flat strokes) but to be aggressive a lot would be suicide.

He took 4 sets in his 1st 2 matches, came in having treatment on his neck and with a cold. He played the right way as evidence by being 2 sets up rather comfortably but everything caught up with him. Had he had perfect prep, come in healthy and fully fit I'm sure this would have been a 4, 4 and 4 win (heck it nearly was). Things transpired differently though and by the 4th set he had no right to win given his body had gone.

He did though and it was a huge effort to given what happened after set 3.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #125
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Watched the end of the 4th set and beginning of the 5th.
Outrageous

Monfils once again proving he's the most brainless and plain stupid player on tour as he didn't have a clue how to play against physicaly wasted Simon who was serving 130 km/h first serves in. Standing meters behind the baseline, waiting for the ball to come to him and feeding Simon with perfect balls to hit at. I think he's more focused on providing fun and drama then winning a match nicely and simply like a true professional.

I'm very happy for Gilles. What a man, what a warrior.
Muzza must be happy with this result too...

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #126
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Those two should not be allowed to play together again. If I want to download that match I would find it under Horror or Humour.

@ "They didn't need much rest between points because they were napping during the points."

But seriously is the 25 second rule also enforced in slams?
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #127
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely hilarious match this and a complete mugfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #128
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
He is about 8st and could be knocked over by a strong wind. Simon does amazingly well for his build to hit as many winners and get the power he can (thanks to his flat strokes) but to be aggressive a lot would be suicide.

He took 4 sets in his 1st 2 matches, came in having treatment on his neck and with a cold. He played the right way as evidence by being 2 sets up rather comfortably but everything caught up with him. Had he had perfect prep, come in healthy and fully fit I'm sure this would have been a 4, 4 and 4 win (heck it nearly was). Things transpired differently though and by the 4th set he had no right to win given his body had gone.

He did though and it was a huge effort to given what happened after set 3.
Everything that happened in this match was possible because he played an opponent has mind numbing as himself. Monfils and Simon are the masters of hitting 20 powderpuff rally balls followed by one random big shot which usually gets retrieved, then following up with another rally ball which renders the previous attacking shot absolutely useless. They both have the ability to hit attacking shots so these 30+ rallies are not due to the physical limitations - it's by choice.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #129
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

This must have been an epic push fest. People had no business watching this.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #130
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everything that happened in this match was possible because he played an opponent has mind numbing as himself. Monfils and Simon are the masters of hitting 20 powderpuff rally balls followed by one random big shot which usually gets retrieved, then following up with another rally ball which renders the previous attacking shot absolutely useless. They both have the ability to hit attacking shots so these 30+ rallies are not due to the physical limitations - it's by choice.
I dunno about that. I agree in regard to Monfils, but I've seen Simon when he's being aggressive and when he swings for the fences he has an unfortunate propensity for hitting them.

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #131
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I just love Gillou even more, now.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #132
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is by choice for Gilles as it is his best chance of winning. He isn't going to out power many players in even the top 50, he has to be patient and pick the perfect ball to attack. When you have limited physical strength and you hit pretty flat you have to have the right ball to go for or you will just hit errors.

Simon plays smart for his game and body. Monfils on the other hand doesn't and I bet Gilles wishes he had the option and physical capabilities of Monfils.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #133
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

The best part of this match was Monfils having a coca-cola during a changover late in the fifth set

Shame he lost but good first Slam after injury problems and he remains as entertaining as ever

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #134
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
It is by choice for Gilles as it is his best chance of winning. He isn't going to out power many players in even the top 50, he has to be patient and pick the perfect ball to attack. When you have limited physical strength and you hit pretty flat you have to have the right ball to go for or you will just hit errors.

Simon plays smart for his game and body. Monfils on the other hand doesn't and I bet Gilles wishes he had the option and physical capabilities of Monfils.
What I'm trying to say is that there's a difference between measured aggression and what Simon does. You're telling me because he has chicken legs that he has to hit 10 rally balls down the middle of the court at the start of every point? It's not smart - it's just a pedestrian submissive style of play that makes for poor viewing and arbitrarily long matches.

Monfils is worse since he's more capable but he never gets heralded as a spartan for clowning around.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #135
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
That was amazing stuff

Can't believe Clownfils was missing serves at 120km/h
that is so bad :0 but so bad it might be good. which I had caught this. it is a shame, Simon pushing vs. Murray pushing would have been interesting but now he will be sleepy and tired and not even take a set probably

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote