Federer and Break Points - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #31
country flag nanoman

nanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer and Break Points

My theory:
Federer is better at returning from the deuce court than from the ad court.
This is especially true for returning second serves. Obviously, no one is going to hit a 2nd serve to Federer's FH. So we we only need to analyse his returning with the BH.
From the serve wide(ad court), Federer's only option with the Backhand is to return CC as he can't generate enough pace with his BH to return DTL and cover his position for the subsequent shot. From the serve down the middle(deuce court), Fed has the option to go io or hit dtl with his BH.
:Nadal - Roddick - Murray
nanoman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Federer also goes for much more on BPs which obviously contributes significantly to the lower conversion rate.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

He still wins matches, so what's the big deal?
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer in 2 View Post
He will sort it our in time for the big ones, he always does. His poor conversion rate usually has an affect only in NID matches.
1/17 BP in Roland Garros 2007 final
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Federer also goes for much more on BPs which obviously contributes significantly to the lower conversion rate.
i think it is usually the opposite. he takes a more passive and defensive stand in BP, almost waiting for the opponent's error. that might work against mentally weaker players but it allows the experienced ones to take the initiative.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #36
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
1/17 BP in Roland Garros 2007 final
Federer-Nadal at RG is the epitome of a NID match

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
country flag abraxas21

true
Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #38
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

its easier on these slow courts to moonball over and over again and wait for your opponent to make a mistake

basically thats why dull and nole have a beter stat-

basically, because they have much less talent, skill, feel or ability- and all they have is a (very suspicious) stamina advantage and moonballs- they can force an unforced error- simon style

federer who plays agressive- real tennis- makes more errors on these slow courts because he refuses to moonball
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #39
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
i think it is usually the opposite. he takes a more passive and defensive stand in BP, almost waiting for the opponent's error. that might work against mentally weaker players but it allows the experienced ones to take the initiative.
True I guess, it depends where he is playing. Faster courts, he will go for it in my opinion. Slower courts he usually soaks up the pressure and waits.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
its easier on these slow courts to moonball over and over again and wait for your opponent to make a mistake

basically thats why dull and nole have a beter stat-

basically, because they have much less talent, skill, feel or ability- and all they have is a (very suspicious) stamina advantage and moonballs- they can force an unforced error- simon style

federer who plays agressive- real tennis- makes more errors on these slow courts because he refuses to moonball

Couldn't be much more from the truth when you compare it to today's match. Tomic was the aggressor and spanking winners on BP's.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
dull has had 1 easy win against federer at RG

federer outplayed him in 2006, 2007 and 2011

Federer didn't take advantage of BPs but thats because Dull's moonballing style and high percentage play is better for clay courts

NID is federer nadal indoor matches at the WTF

if nadal ever played 2006 fed under the roof at wimbledo- i think he would get triple bagled
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
dull has had 1 easy win against federer at RG

federer outplayed him in 2006, 2007 and 2011

Federer didn't take advantage of BPs but thats because Dull's moonballing style and high percentage play is better for clay courts

NID is federer nadal indoor matches at the WTF

if nadal ever played 2006 fed under the roof at wimbledo- i think he would get triple bagled
Yes! I think you hit the nail on the head and seem to know your tennis

Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #43
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, Federer needs to change dramatically if he wants to make a third round of a Slam or win a 250.

This conversion rate stops him from developing as a good player.

It's probably choking, or just inability, but he's young and his career is ahead, maybe we'll see him top 10 one day.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
country flag Tomatoes11

Tomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond reputeTomatoes11 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because he uses a lot more variety and shots than most players. Most players just baseline until they are in position to unleash a winner. Federer actually tries stuff and along with that comes a higher percentage of errors.
Tomatoes11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #45
country flag Shadow Knows

Shadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
I've been watching Fed since, the beginning, practically. But, it's still amazes me how a player of such caliber has probably one of the worse BPs conversion rates.
You know, they keep track of these stats. I suggest you never actually look up Federer's conversion rate over the years, because there's a chance that you'd be irrevocably shattered when confronted with the magnitude of your wrongness.
Shadow Knows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote