raonic or tomic, who will have a better career? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: raonic or tomic, who will have a better career?

hard to say, but raonic will most likely be more consistent of the two.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic has more ability, but needs to use it.

Raonic seems to show far more application to date.

In summary, will pick Tomic, but his personality does seem to be a weakness.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 21 Master Series.
Nadal 13 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 26 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 6 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 18 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
country flag vn01

vn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic
Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic has the greater potential, but so far Raonic unquestionably seems to have a better attitude and superior discipline.

If Tomic keeps his ego in check long enough to fulfil his promise then he'll probably go further than Milos, but Milos definitely has a promising career ahead of him too.
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

Two hugely different styles and personalities.

They seem to be the two young guns who get along the most with each other, though. Tomic has given Milos props and Milos has called Tomic a "best buddy" in a couple of interviews.

If they both do well, I think they could really complement each other. The guys Tomic has a hard time with, Milos seems to do well against. And the one-dimensional players Milos has a hard time with, Tomic uses his variety well against.

Milos uses pace and power to disarm good point constructors like Kohli and Simon (who are likely bad match-ups for Tomic). And Tomic uses a lot of variety and changes of pace to disarm one-dimensional guys like Anderson and Querrey (who are bad match-ups for Milos).

Overall, though, their mental states will make the difference. Who will handle success better? Who'll be more able to bounce back from setbacks and losses?

I like that both of them go up against top guys with a serious "I'll beat you" killer mentality, unlike some other "up-and-comers".
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
country flag Gallace..

Gallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
You're funny. I really hope you're not serious.

If you are, then maybe you're way off in your analysis.

Tomic doesn't have a single penetrating groundstroke. Meanwhile, Raonic's forehand is huge. He's slow and returns poorly, but he's way more aggressive and has a finisher in his forehand.

The fact that Milos has am extremely poor return from a 200+km serve is the reason why he gets such an easy ball to slam the shit out of it with the forehand. There's certainly nothing special about it....he just has a standard decent forehand, but gets alot more free swings at it because of his serve.

Tomic's forehand is only decent aswell, except the flat trajectory that the ball has on it makes it alot more penetrating and difficult for players to handle compared to a standard forehand.
Nick Kyrgios
Gallace.. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonac View Post
hard to say, but raonic will most likely be more consistent of the two.
Care to elaborate a little?

I think that the gulf in career achievements will deem this "consistency" irrelevant as I think that Tomic will win far more titles of significance than Raonic, who isn't a dead cert to win any at all, though it would be an achievement not to considering the age of the current top crop and the lack of young talent coming through.

If I had to make a prediction, it would be that Tomic would win far, far more but would be more susceptible to going completely off the boil due to his off-court 'interests' or more appropriately, distractions or temptations.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #24
country flag MaratandMilos

MaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond repute

I see most of the usual Raonic trolls have latched on to this thread with the expected answers.

It's an interesting question as both have huge potential. I think Raonic has the right mindset to win the big events, but not necessarily the game to do so right now. He shows flashes of great play (see 2012 Barcelona vs. Murray/Ferrer, 2012 Madrid vs. Federer, 2012 Tokyo vs. Murray, etc.), but nothing consistent yet. The return and movement still aren't where they need to be in order to be truly elite. Tomic, on the other hand, has the elite game within him, but not the mindset. Bernard clearly needs to play aggressively more often and actually go for his shots. What he's doing now just isn't good enough to win against the very best players. It will get him some 250s like Sydney, but not much more than that. If it ever clicks mentally with him, though, I believe he'll be a star in this game and win a few slams.

It really could be either one that ends up with the better career, but I'll definitely be rooting for the both of them. Tennis needs some new successful young players.
MaratandMilos is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic for sure

he is younger yet leaps and bounds already appears to have a more all around game. Raonic is too dependent on the serve

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallace.. View Post
The fact that Milos has am extremely poor return from a 200+km serve is the reason why he gets such an easy ball to slam the shit out of it with the forehand. There's certainly nothing special about it....he just has a standard decent forehand, but gets alot more free swings at it because of his serve.
It's not just about the serve. I think I read somewhere that Milos plays with the lowest string tension of just about anyone. (sacrificing control for power)

So there's a reason why his groundstrokes are incredibly whippy and strong, but look incredibly clumsy when they miss.

Oh, and about their achievements. They're pretty much even. Raonic got his first 250 title at 20, as well, 2 years ago and then moved up to top 25 that same year. He would've climbed higher too, if he didn't have surgery after Wimby.

I'm not sure how long Tomic will take to get back up to top 30, then top 20.

I'm rooting for them both. (much more so than Harrison or Dimitrov)
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #27
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

raonic

spoiled brats don't achieve anything in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #28
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Raonic.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #29
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Tomic will. But I think it will take a couple of years before we'll start to see it.

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Raonic's serve alone is worth more than Tomug's entire game. Raonic wins hands down.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote