WWW Australian Open R4: Ferrer v. Nishikori - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WWW Australian Open R4: Ferrer v. Nishikori

Ferrer in 3 10 16.95%
Ferrer in 4 19 32.20%
Ferrer in 5 6 10.17%
Nishikori in 3 3 5.08%
Nishikori in 4 8 13.56%
Nishikori in 5 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #61
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WWW Australian Open R4: Ferrer v. Nishikori

Ferrer will be too consistent here. Nishi doesn't have the weapons to dismantle this old war horse.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #62
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
Okay, I'll bite. What was Ferrer going through?
No need to me! He was obviously not well at all after a difficult break-up with his girlfriend of 10 years (hence the outburst and the rant about being unable to hit the ball/having his head full of shit/women being good for nothing in the middle of that match-have you ever seen him like this before, or after?)
Now I don't know the details since he's not the type who talks too much about his private life, but what is obvious is that it was the beginning of a very hard period for him since he consequently dropped out of the top ten and had a whole year without winning a single title in 2009.

Quote:
And when did I ever say that medical issues would dismiss Ferrer's victory? I said they are a legitimate concern for Kei going forward as he took an MTO in yesterday's match while in the lead (meaning he obviously didn't need to play dirty).
Well, maybe not you in particular. But you can see all over this thread (and most other Ferrer-related threads) claims that he always wins due to his adversaries being diminished in some way (sure, some are just trolling for fun, but it's still a recurring notion).
So I don't see why it shouldn't be taken into account when HE was clearly diminished too for some reason, that's all.

Quote:
Of course you don't.
Well, no I don't. Is that your answer? I followed him throughout the year and I can tell you that at that particular time, he was really not playing very well.
I may be a Ferrer fan and ready to defend him but I wouldn't claim that he wasn't playing very well during the Olympics, if I thought he HAD been playing well. I don't dismiss the Nishikori threat like some other Ferrer supporters are doing, but no, I don't think getting bagelled by Nishikori is Ferrer's best level...

To me it's obvious that Ferrer played great in 2012 until he lost in Wimbledon (and at that point he was still playing great, he was only outplayed by Murray because Murray is superior on grass), but then, he slumped a little. He was not solid at all during the Olympics, then he dropped out of Toronto, and lost to Wawrinka in the first round of Cincinnati. Not signs of being "in-form".

Then he got a little better and managed to get far in the US Open thanks to Nadal's absence and because he played with a lot of grit, but he wasn't that solid either, and right after that it was obvious that he was really exhausted by playing too much when he lost to Benneteau and then retired against Lu, and decided to skip the rest of the Asian swing. After that he was really back at a very good level for the rest of the season.

Right now to be honest I don't really know what to expect. He's not that consistent at the moment, but he still can produce some great tennis and after all it was enough to straight-set Baghdatis so he didn't need to do more. The question mark is, can he raise his game to the level of tougher opponents like Nishikori? Was the loss against Davydenko in Doha an anomaly due to Davy suddenly playing like a Playstation again, or was it a sign that he is not at his best? We'll see.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #63
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting match, I believe Kei is more talented player with more weapons who has been improving as of late, but Ferrer is more experienced and will fight hard for it. Kei in tough 5 sets IMO.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #64
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully Kei, he has the firepower to swat Ferrer away if he takes the ball early and consistently, as the previous two matches testify. Ferrer won't give him it though, he has to find that high level and stick to it.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #65
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
It fully depends on Kei's health. If he is fully fit, he wins this match as he's the far better player: you can even expect bakery products ala Olympic match. If he's not, anything can happen; so far, he got an MTO in every match and has been having his knee taped so I fear for the worst.

Let's hope it's unfounded fears though, it'd be horrendous for the game if a pushing vulture like Ferrer advanced through the draw at the expense of a young exciting player, not to mention a talented shotmaker, like Kei.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #66
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Interesting match, I believe Kei is more talented player with more weapons who has been improving as of late, but Ferrer is more experienced and will fight hard for it. Kei in tough 5 sets IMO.
I agree with this.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #67
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis will defeat Ferrer in 4.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #68
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's constructively offensive. He's a small guy, and his ability to dictate points or produce winners more often than not depends on his positioning (not unlike Ferrer). Thus, it's a task for him to apply and maintain it.

Just look at the offensive progression he made in today's match against Donskoy.

Or just hold on to that one stat as a be-all, end-all.
Lol Ferrer hit more winners that Baghdatis in the last round 25 to 16. And comparing what he did against Donskoy a nobody player is just desperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Kei should remind David that there are a couple upcoming 250's in south america and that he wouldn't want to tire himself by playing this match.
Wait, Nadal already reminded everyone of that missing the AO just to play in clay, Ferrer at least wouldn't do that.

Quote:
Oh god. His form may fluctuate, but you know what doesn't? Dynamics. That's why 4 years later, Nishikori toasted an "in form" Ferrer a bagel en route to sending him packing at the Olympics.

He hurts him for the same reason Davydenko recently did in Doha. He goes for the same tactics Ferrer does with added firepower. He's not afraid to change directions, he looks to play inside the court, he takes time away from his opponent, and loves using that forehand.

When Ferrer faces guys like this, he struggles to maintain his own constructive offense and ends up scrambling.

But yeah, no, forget the nuances of tennis and dismiss everything as irrelevant because this Ferrer is too good.
And Ferrer was so on in that match, lol. He was so fatigued, it will take a fatigue Ferrer for Nishikori to win. Just watch that match and the doubles, he was just not in the court mentally he was liability to his partner in the doubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
I'd add that he has natural power limitations, which means that when he's really off a long stretch with no winners is pretty conceivable. Guys like say Tsonga or Berdych will get a few winners even when they're off because of their natural power. Kei plays a big man game (not literally but he's quite offensive) with a small man's body, it's prone to misfiring a few times when his timing is off or movement hindered a bit.
Don't be delusional height has nothing to do with power. Seppi is a tall player but lacks the power same with Tomic and Klizan. Davydenko is at the same height as Nishikori but has natural pace on the ball, Davydenko is actually overall smaller than Nishikori. Cibulkova in the women's side is small but has so much power.

Last edited by dencod16 : 01-19-2013 at 02:44 AM.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #69
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

A great, great match is expected here.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #70
country flag DjokerFan3
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

DjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond reputeDjokerFan3 has a reputation beyond repute

Should be the best R16 match in the top half of the draw.

Hoping Kei gets through here
Retired Players that I miss: AGASSI, RAFTER, SAFIN, SoderKING, Blake, F.Gonzalez
DISLIKE Nadal, Tomic & Raonic
DjokerFan3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #71
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
Don't be delusional height has nothing to do with power. Seppi is a tall player but lacks the power same with Tomic and Klizan. Davydenko is at the same height as Nishikori but has natural pace on the ball, Davydenko is actually overall smaller than Nishikori. Cibulkova in the women's side is small but has so much power.
Well... Height and power are probably related, but I guess your examples prove that it's also linked to technique. Davydenko for instance is rather small, but can be powerful because he's got such good technique. So it's not an absolute rule, but generally, it's quite logical that taller players should be more powerful (they have more angle, especially on the serve).

OK so I'm not sure if I'm hoping for a thrilling 5-setter, because I want to watch this one, but it's going to start at around 2 or 3am for me... So I'll probably not be in a great state to enjoy a marathon match
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #72
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
Lol, what? Of course height and overall size matters a lot when it comes to power. Seppi, Tomic and Klizan are all terrible examples too, I don't want to elaborate in the 3 specific cases but specially in Seppi's and Tomic's case there's a lot of 'choice' involved + actual ability, skill and raw talent (mainly in Seppi's case). Seppi has overpowered and controlled tons of rallies against players labeled as 'big hitters' before but it's not something he can rely as much as those players because he loses plenty of consistency. Instead, he opts to play to his own strength and take advantage of other weapons such as his excellent fitness for long exchanges and matches in general + mixing flat shots with heavy top spin FHs.

Davydenko fuels his own shots also with his opponents' power due to his very good technique + court positioning (<-- very important aspect of his game).
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #73
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer due to better fitness, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
During this year’s United States Open, Soderling said, he was watching a match on television when his young daughter came into the room. For a moment, she watched her father watching the tennis, but then she interrupted.

“She wanted to watch Dora,” Soderling said. “So, I said, ‘O.K.’ We watched Dora.”
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #74
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Nishikori in 4. Come on!
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #75
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Man, If Nishikori wins here, we might get our Tipsy-Djoko SF after all. Now that'll be one of the ages.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On "vulturing" Shanghai
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
lucky win with Mayer, easy draw, Simon choked, Dull with appendicitis, Nole to become father, closed roof from organizers, Del Potro injured, Hrbaty retired
plenty to pick from
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote