Courier: Olympics = 5th major! - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #46
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Yes, so sad for Djokovic. The fact that Federer has won 6 WTF's and 0 gold medals in singles (as opposed to his arch nemesis Nadal) obviously has no effect on your judgement
well I would have sounded biased had I said Federer from 2005-07 never got a chance when he would have won it . Had olympics been an annual event like tennis is , I am willing to bet Federer would have more than 1 gold right now
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #47
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbg View Post
How could it be a warm-up when it was after?
What I mean is that it was like a crappy Wimbledon. By being held on the Wimbledon courts in the summer it had the illusion of being like a small Wimbledon, and since Murray was guaranteed to win it was like having a British Wimbledon champion. Normally, the OG is held in a country with no tennis history on a court nobody cares about, but this was almost like a warm up to Murray actually winning something important. Of course, Murray-tards took the bait hook, line, and sinker, and now think the OG is equal to a slam and Murray had the best 2012 compared to the YE #1, the man who crushed Murray in a slam final and made 3/4 finals and 4/4 SF Djokovic and the GOAT who regained #1, crushed Murray at the Wimbledon that mattered, and broke every important record left to him

Quote:
SliceAce is making sense.............am I being punk'd?
Fakervic may be a clown, but at least he doesn't need to make up accomplishments and pretend to be in the same league as the top players. I'll give you credit for supporting a real player.
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #48
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

I know most people only started watching tennis when their respective favs peaked, but if we go back even a little in WTF history, the 5 set finals players (including Fed) have had to win have surpassed most slam finals and anything the Olympics has ever seen. Also it may no longer be carpet, but indoors is still a legitimate surface separate from outdoor HC and therefore WTF is the only event with even a claim to representing the peak tournament on a specific surface and the culmination of a part of the season.
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Courier for bringing up the never-ending debate of WTF vs Olympics.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
1. It is held once in four years, making the chances to get the title less in a player's career.
But only 8 players can make it to WTF. If you are a regular in the top 30, you have one or two chances to go to the Olympics. It's not that difficult for a player to make it, unless you're from France or Spain and have to compete with other guys. WTF is much harder to qualify for and the chances to get in are way tougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Yes, Olympics is the 5th major and anyone who disagrees needs to get their head checked.

While we are at it, let's not forget that Miami, Indian Wells and Abu Dhabi are also the 5th major. So, we have 4 "main" majors, and 4 5th majors.
Cincy is the true 5th slam.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #51
country flag spencercarlos

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Yes, so sad for Djokovic. The fact that Federer has won 6 WTF's and 0 gold medals in singles (as opposed to his arch nemesis Nadal) obviously has no effect on your judgement
Great but Federer can pretty much be proud of getting the Silver Medal, at least he won something, in counter part to Grand Slam losing finalist who normally will never be remmembered after losing.

The biggest thing about the Olympics is representing your country, but other than that inch per inch, Olympics have nothing to do along side with Slams, and not even with the WTF, which is an event that features the best 8 players of the season, with all matches pretty much (normally) could be great finals of any events throught the year.

Little FEDERER, Roger (SUI) Versus Defending Wimbledon Champ Pete SAMPRAS (USA)
Year Tournament Round Surface Winner Score
2001 Wimbledon 16 Grass (O) R.FEDERER 7-6(7) 5-7 6-4 6-7(2) 7-5

Does he really believes this is the same Federer of then?
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #52
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Er, no.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #53
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Olympics aren't comparable to slams for a few reasons. First of all, being once in four years doesn't suit to tennis. Majors being every year means you can't blame bad luck for not winning a particular major but you can blame bad luck for not winning Olympic Gold. Actually, not winning WTF is a bigger fault in a players career than not winning OG. Both WTF & OG are events everybody wants to win, but you surely get enough chances to win WTF, if only you are capable to win it.

Secondly, not being a traditional Olympic sport, tennis has other more traditional events. And as such a globally big sport, those events get more coverage than Olympic tennis. In smaller sports, Olympics become instantly the biggest competition once the sport is accepted to OG. That's because Olympics give most publicity for that sport. But even today, Wimbledon is the biggest tennis title for most people even though tennis is an Olympic sport.

Also, Olympic tennis lack character unlike slams & WTF. Especially in the 90s (before surface homogenization), all slams played differently and WTF is the most prestigious indoor tournament. But what are Olympics. Usually one more HC tournament but last time a grass tourney. And sometimes in can be also on clay.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #54
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
SliceAce is making sense.............am I being punk'd?
Except he is talking absolute crap, including claiming that the OG is a warm up for a tournament that is held a month before. The only reason you think he is making sense is because what he is saying is appealing to the Slamray hater in you.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #55
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
What I mean is that it was like a crappy Wimbledon. By being held on the Wimbledon courts in the summer it had the illusion of being like a small Wimbledon, and since Murray was guaranteed to win it was like having a British Wimbledon champion. Normally, the OG is held in a country with no tennis history on a court nobody cares about, but this was almost like a warm up to Murray actually winning something important. Of course, Murray-tards took the bait hook, line, and sinker, and now think the OG is equal to a slam and Murray had the best 2012 compared to the YE #1, the man who crushed Murray in a slam final and made 3/4 finals and 4/4 SF Djokovic and the GOAT who regained #1, crushed Murray at the Wimbledon that mattered, and broke every important record left to him

Fakervic may be a clown, but at least he doesn't need to make up accomplishments and pretend to be in the same league as the top players. I'll give you credit for supporting a real player.
Who is saying it is as good as the slams? No one.

5th slam just means it is the next best thing, which it is. You just have to lol at these Fedtards and Djokotards trying to play down the importance of the olympics.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #56
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

SliceAce what a burro.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
by the same logic that it comes round only once every 4 years, why not put it above the slams?
This. Olympics therefore equal value of 4 slams.

Pay your respects to the vultures....
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely. Best of 5 final and once in four years.

WTF is an official exhibition event. A Player can lose twice and still win the title.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #59
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

The correct answer is that the Olympics are a different entity with a different aura to the slams and WTF, and the prestige of it can be decided by anyone. For example how much it meant to Delpo to win a bronze, whereas other players like Roddick and Hewitt skipped previous Games.

The gold is a unique prize to have though especially given you can only win it every four years
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #60
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
i disagree, it cant be the 5 major bc not every player can get in, theres a Certain amount of player who can enter from each country and it is not fair.
Makes no sense. The fact that entry is restricted to certain number of players from each country highlights how difficult it is to enter Olympics, let alone win it. They have to be the best in their countries.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote