Del Potro - When Will The Hype Stop? - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #121
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Del Potro - When Will The Hype Stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yup, Djokovic cared so little about the bronze medal at Olympics that he was crying after the match, described it as one of the most painful experiences of his career and sawed off his rackets in frustration after it. Not to mention how Federer didn't care about the result of the USO final or even the final of his home tournaments this year Seems legit.

What kind of results did Haas, Hewitt, Coria, Ferrero, etc... get after their surgeries? I'm sure you'll be equally admant that it was just an excuse, what they had achieved prior to injury/surgery was just a fluke and surgery had no effect on their career trajectories.
Each one is a unique case from the next.

Tommy Haas had multiple ankle surgeries during 1996 and 1997, but you were obviously unaware of that. Hewitt was already 27 by the time he had hip surgery, which completely hindered his already decaying movement. Coria had a very successful shoulder surgery in 2004 and returned to face other problems with service and confidence unrelated to physical shoulder problems. Ferrero was already 31 by the time he had surgery on his left knee, so I have no idea how this is related.

You're also ignoring the fact certain players have had injuries which have physically hindered their performance mainly in loss of flexibility and continuous pain. As I've said, the wrist is far, far easier to return from than pretty much any other joint and Del Potro hasn't regularly complained of problems within his right wrist since returning.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #122
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Coria had a very successful shoulder surgery in 2004 and returned to face other problems with service and confidence unrelated to physical shoulder problems.
I'm sure it's related
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #123
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
haha I'll pass, I'm a dude.
haha! just kidding. Seriously, his potential QF match with Murray will prove where he is really standed.
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #124
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
I'm sure it's related
Coria had already admitted it was a psychological condition and had visited sports psychologists in an effort to relieve the yips he was experiencing. He initially returned and while not at his best in any area, had little problem serving. It was something that happened over time, well after his return. The surgery he had was minor and he was only sidelined out of training for 7-8 weeks.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #125
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
This. He already has a medal anyway. Del Potro was the one nearly crying because it was the second biggest thing he won since he fluked USO. Maybe he can get another easy draw someday and win masters one day, although I doubt it. High risk ballbashing games never brought much success to anyone on ATP tour.,
high risk tennis not successeful in ATP tour???

remember sampras , super agressive tennis and with federer and laver is maybe the best player of all times.

the 3 GOATS of tennis (federer , laver and sampras) are agressive players not pushers...
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #126
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
high risk tennis not successeful in ATP tour???

remember sampras , super agressive tennis and with federer and laver is maybe the best player of all times.

the 3 GOATS of tennis (federer , laver and sampras) are agressive players not pushers...
Those guys were not ballbashers -

And Sampras and to lesser extent Olderer have big serves to back up any risky play. Thus they can get away with more risk even when they are off. Del Potro has no similar serve to back up his bashing. His movement is also poor compared to aforementioned players. Sampras played on faster courts where a lot of balls simply didn't come back. Del Potro plays against greatest defenders ever in Murray/Djoker/Nadal - Olderer's defense isn't too shabby either and his has the serve.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #127
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Those guys were not ballbashers -

And Sampras and to lesser extent Olderer have big serves to back up any risky play. Thus they can get away with more risk even when they are off. Del Potro has no similar serve to back up his bashing. His movement is also poor compared to aforementioned players. Sampras played on faster courts where a lot of balls simply didn't come back. Del Potro plays against greatest defenders ever in Murray/Djoker/Nadal - Olderer's defense isn't too shabby either and his has the serve.
woah woah, we are not comparing Del Potro to tennis Legends. All those guys you've mentioned will surely end with a much better career than Delpo's (with the exception of Murray, but he's pretty ahead career-wise anyway).

What Delpo fans mostly argue about is that Delpo is a heck of a dangerous player, has 2 big weapons and an overall solid build, and is capable of winning slams.
There may be overall better players out there, but this guy right here has awesome potential.
He also offers (along with Federer) great offensive tennis, which is great for the game to counter the boring time-wasting monotony of the so-called 'greatest defenders ever'.
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #128
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, of course. He was only upset about the semi, but decided to postpone the crying and racket sawing until after the bronze medal match You even go as far as to claim that anyone, let alone someone as patriotic as Djokovic, would not care about an Olympic medal just to suit your biased agenda. No wonder you don't understand the 'hype', because how could you possibly?
Of course Nole was disappointed about the bronze match. Very. But that is hardly relevant to this topic. Did you watch that match? Nole was terrible, many players would have beaten him that day.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #129
country flag lucyfur

lucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Birdshit and Clownga have better records in the last couple of years than Spudtro. I would rate them better chances to win a slam than the Argifail.

Will, might - whatever disclaimers you want to put on it so you don't look like a fool, you hype it like you think its going to happen.
Please tell me how Berdy and Tsonga had a better 2012 than Delpo, thanks!

Do you realise he was out of the top200 in 2011? even went as low as 450's?
lucyfur is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #130
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute

Never. If anything, he is underhyped.
retister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #131
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyfur
Please tell me how Berdy and Tsonga had a better 2012 than Delpo, thanks!
Atta boy - tell'em the truth!

That mendacity alone proves that the only hype there is is the anti Delpo hype on MTF. No one is claiming that he's the greatest of all time. But the fact that his haters assume that is how he is looked is very telling and shows how insecure and afraid they are of JMDP and what he might do to their faves.

So I say stay afraid and stay pressed bitches, including & especially the Nadaltard OP

Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #132
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Of course Nole was disappointed about the bronze match. Very. But that is hardly relevant to this topic. Did you watch that match? Nole was terrible, many players would have beaten him that day.
I did watch the match and I disagree with your assessment. It was a very close match, only difference being Del Potro was hitting lines at full power on big points. Nole could have easily won in 2, but contrary to what has been the norm since 2011 he was outplayed on the big points.

And anyway, it is hardly relevant for this particular argument whether Nole played well or not. What the guy claimed was that Delpo wasn't capable of beating the top players when they cared about the result. That win over Nole, as well as Slam wins over Federer and Nadal easily disprove that theory regardless of anything else.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #133
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I did watch the match and I disagree with your assessment. It was a very close match, only difference being Del Potro was hitting lines at full power on big points. Nole could have easily won in 2, but contrary to what has been the norm since 2011 he was outplayed on the big points.

And anyway, it is hardly relevant for this particular argument whether Nole played well or not. What the guy claimed was that Delpo wasn't capable of beating the top players when they cared about the result. That win over Nole, as well as Slam wins over Federer and Nadal easily disprove that theory regardless of anything else.
A bettered serve and bettered backhand would go a long way in helping overcome the Top 4. He has the tools and mentality of a champion.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #134
country flag Silvester

Silvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond repute

This year I would say. I give him a break for last season as he was still climbing back in the rankings and faced some of the bigger guys earlier in the draw. Lets see how this AO goes.
Silvester is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #135
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Water View Post
A bettered serve and bettered backhand would go a long way in helping overcome the Top 4. He has the tools and mentality of a champion.
His serve has improved a lot and his BH is a very solid shot. What he needs is to stay away from injury, as well as making an effort to improve his fitness and perhaps be a bit more comfortable at the net.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote