Maximum Encouragement. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Maximum Encouragement.

Ok guys

This year andy has improved his game especially the volleys(houston) and backhand (most of the year)

But we his fans need to to keep on encouraging him to continue the hard work and get back to number one. We must send him and Brad things on which we think he has to further improve inorder to win many slams each year. He must never give up and also prepare a PLAN B coz that is very necessary on clay. I also think that he must work on attacking( he is a very good attacker but not on clay or on days his serve is not there) and on playin defensive ( not the way he did against johansson at USO 04) and also counter-puching his opponents. The serve is a perfection except for DFs on BPs but that serve is the best around so no complaints about it

I hope that next year will be full of more titles and we will see the Andy Roddick we saw durin the 2003 summer ( i will never forget that motivation! )

I found how we can send him our messages:

To the attention of Andy roddick
Service jouer
ATP Europe, Monte-Carlo Sun
74, boulevatd d'Italie
98000 Monaco

If you do not live in europe you can try his websites and find ways to communicate with him.
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maximum Encouragement.

Thanks for that.

I think that there is a way to send emails to Brad that some of the posters know about because they have sent him emails. Maybe this is a good thread to post all the ways people know to contact Andy/Brad.

I've got my own ideas about what Andy needs to do to improve, but I think he or someone on his team probably has had those same ideas too, and either they or Andy have rejected them. I've resigned myself to the fact that Andy isn't going to do what I think he needs to do.

I am glad he is adding the volley to his game, but that isn't the answer against every player.

I really don't care if Andy is ever the number one player int he world as long as he keeps on working and improving. IT's the heart and the effort that mean the most to me.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Here's brad's email
askbrad@bradgilberttennis.com

Whether he actually reads it, I don't know... a couple of times I've sent over interesting articles that discuss Andy's game and i've gotten a reply signed "BG" but again, whether it's him, I don't know. I suppose it's always worth a shot to email just in case it gets through to him?

As far as his game, Andy made a ton of strides this year. By and large, his BH (including the slice), volleying and transition, movement, etc have all improved. For me, his biggest problem left, and I think it was horribly exposed in a couple of matches this week, is his return. For me it's the one thing that's still an actual liability. The biggest disappointment I think was some of the mental stuff. A few times this year, and in really big tournaments (I can think of 3 right off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more) he was playing great, going along really well, then all of a sudden he has a really off day and plays poorly. That didn't happen in 2003 and that's huge. It's impossible to know why that happened, but it's something he's gotta try to work through. He should only lose matches when he's outplayed, I don't like seeing him contribute

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
country flag Éowyn

Éowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond repute

that almost sounded like a positive thread with all due repsect brad knows what he's doing and so does andy why the hell should they listen to us, we don't see him train we don't know what andy feels comfortable with and what he doesn't, they do! if you wanan support him send him a letter telling him you think he's doing well and will continue to support him however he does.
~~Feli~Daniele~Arnaud~Fernando~Seb~Andy~~
~Taylor~Mike & Bob~Marat~Julien~
and to my girls
~~Sanja~Daniela~Ana~Dinara~~

You're kind of like the blonde chick in the Munsters
http://www.menstennisforums.com/imag...ine=1151095902

Proud to be a Sparette
Éowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

If it makes you guys feel any better, I've been reading various tennis messageboards this afternoon and even though Andy suffered a bad loss at the hands of Lleyton, many people are saying that they are very impressed with Andy's noticeable improvements to his volleying and backhand skills and that they want to see Andy do well in 2005. I've also seen many comments from non-fans who are impressed with Andy's sportsmanship and gracious behavior towards his opponents. Reading so many positive comments about our little Duckie made me smile.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
country flag Nishy

Nishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS
I hope that next year will be full of more titles and we will see the Andy Roddick we saw durin the 2003 summer ( i will never forget that motivation! )
I also want to see again like that motivation.

I really don't think I want him to be No.1 again soon but I really hope he can win many Grand Slams.

Tangy, would you tell me where can I read those messages?
I haven't been GM for a while because of avoiding negative feeling from Andy haters comments but I wanted to read positive comments from non-Andy fans.
Nishy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

that's cool, tangy always nice when people see things we already knew

I think a positive for Andy in 2004 that we haven't really talked about is that he got over the hurdle in a couple of ways - he'd never been able to win a title in S. Florida but this year he had what I'd call his mentally strongest week in winning Miami - he fought through Bjorkman whom he had real trouble with, then he stayed really strong in that Moya match, absolutely clobbered Spadea in what I'd call one of his most zoned-in matches of the year, and was able to get past Coria's injury in the final that clearly affected how he went about the tiebreaker, then raise his level. I'd had high hopes that getting over that hump and winning a big title earlier in the year than he ever had would really help him for the rest of the year... well, it didn't, but it was a pretty big deal anyway

And maybe more importantly, he got over the problem of a whole lot of players he couldn't beat before. He beat Haas twice in a row, Safin 3 times, Gambill twice, Hewitt, etc. Again, I was hoping that some of these great wins would help him mentally but it was still really great for him to get these wins in the books

ok that's my positivity quota for the month!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 11-21-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #8
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Nishy, here are some of the comments I've read. If I come across any more, I'll post them here so that we can all bask in the Andylove, if you'd like.

"It is good to see Roddick coming up with some classy backhands. I never thought I'd say it, but it was his backhand and volleying that won the matches against Henman and Safin. I'm hoping for another Federer Roddick final, and if it does happen, I'm going to stick my neck on the line and go for a Roddick win, as he seems to want this one badly in front of his home crowd."

"I feel sad that Roddick lost the match against Hewitt. I was expecting him to win. However, hats off to Roddick, he plays with true sportsmanship like the great Stefan Edberg. Also I think he is the only one who has a great chance of derailing the Federer express. Hats off to you Andy and best wishes for a great and superb 2005."

"Good to see Roddick playing some backhand winners for a change! It would be good to see a Roddick Federer final with Roddick winning for a change. Either that or Henman to go all the way and show the British media what he's really made of."

"Andy Roddick has been absolutely brilliant at Houston! His close matches with Tim Henman and Marat Safin were by far the most entertaining matches of the tournament. I hope he can take it all the way and win the Masters Cup."

"Just had to drop a line and say how much I enjoyed the high quality tennis played between Henman and Roddick in Houston. What a tight close contest that was!"

"I have been impressed with how Roddick is learning to carry himself on the court and also with the way he is evolving his game. I really like it when he applauds his opponent's incredible shot and also his sense of humor. I have a feeling as he gets older he is going to age well, like a bottle of good cabernet.
On the game front, I notice and like his improved net game. He use to flail at his volleys and hack them short if even over the net. Now I am seeing some deep penetration on them. If he keeps making progress in this area, he will have a shot at taking Federer.
At one time I always rooted against Roddick and now I find myself an agnostic. Maybe I'll be a big fan some day. Who knows?"

"Roddick's behavior and post-match comments have been winning me over as well. Even after losing the biggest final of his life at Wimbledon (it is still the premier Grand Slam), he was gracious. When asked about his "rivalry" with Federer, he said "I have to win a couple of these in order for it to be called a rivalry". I am also warming to his sense of humor. Calling a chair umpire "Captain Obvious" was great."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.

reading some of those made me sad again. He DID play SO great in those two matches and then bam yesterday he's just flat as a board.

the only thing that really makes sense to me is that what I would assess as his four worst losses of the season (RG, Olympics, USO, and yesterday) were all places where he REALLY REALLY wanted to do well - I mean, more than the average tourney. And in all the tournaments he went along fine (well ok RG was only til 2nd round but he played well in the 1st match considering he was so sick!) until he got closer and met an opponent who on paper people were expecting him to beat then he comes out completely flat. I dunno how he could get past that, but it makes sense to me - he seems to deal with outside pressure from the media and all that, but it seems like his mental problems come when HE puts the pressure on himself. He wants it so badly that he almost tries too hard and it doesn't work.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Old 11-21-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
country flag Nishy

Nishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for posting comments in here, Tangy!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
reading some of those made me sad again. He DID play SO great in those two matches and then bam yesterday he's just flat as a board.

the only thing that really makes sense to me is that what I would assess as his four worst losses of the season (RG, Olympics, USO, and yesterday) were all places where he REALLY REALLY wanted to do well - I mean, more than the average tourney. And in all the tournaments he went along fine (well ok RG was only til 2nd round but he played well in the 1st match considering he was so sick!) until he got closer and met an opponent who on paper people were expecting him to beat then he comes out completely flat. I dunno how he could get past that, but it makes sense to me - he seems to deal with outside pressure from the media and all that, but it seems like his mental problems come when HE puts the pressure on himself. He wants it so badly that he almost tries too hard and it doesn't work.

Hey, you're talking to a Coria fan. It makes sense to me.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

Deb, it makes perfect sense to me. I didn't watch the match yesterday, but from Renata's comments, Andy just didn't have that fire. His return game was lacking, which derailed his confidence. I hope he comes out strong for the Davis Cup and puts the Spainards on their heals.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #13
country flag Nishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
he seems to deal with outside pressure from the media and all that, but it seems like his mental problems come when HE puts the pressure on himself. He wants it so badly that he almost tries too hard and it doesn't work.

It makes sense to me.
I thought he is kind of the person who doesn't care the pressure and can handle this but I realized he is not right now. Seeing this year, it seems his focus was sometimes distracted by pressure. But I also think he will figure out how to handle this from the experience. I think Roger seemed to struggle handling pressure until 2003 but he figured out this year.

I just thought Yoga might helps? Mediation helps more focus the game? lol
Seriously when we focus on something, even it is right in the middle of the loudly place, we don't care and we don't hear anything. So I just thought he needs to something training that helps him more focus on the game.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Hey, you're talking to a Coria fan. It makes sense to me.
Yes! I would say the same thing seems to apply to him - especially at RG perhaps?

Thanks guys, good to know that others can understand my madness. I wish Andy and Guille and other players that have this problem could get over it. Something seems divinely unfair that the things they want the most are the things they have the most trouble getting because they almost psych themselves out of it and like I said, it doesn't seem to be outside pressure, he seems to be able to handle it when the media picks him as a favorite or whatever, it's the things that HE seems to want more and where he puts the pressure on HIMSELF when these problems happened this year

Jenny, his return game has been off um.. most of the year. He looked a lot better at AO and returned the best I'd ever seen him, but since then, like even as early as San Jose just a couple weeks later, his returning has been by and large :retard: I thought he returned Roger pretty well at Wimby, too, but other than that (including the earlier rounds at Wimby and pretty much everything else) he has not returned too well. That's why I say it's the weakest part of his game now, and in my opinion, the only real big major liability he has left now that his BH, movement, and net/transition games have improved so much. But I definitely agree that he returned *particularly* badly yesterday. Then again, he pretty much did everything particularly badly yesterday.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:02 AM   #15
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

i totally agree with you too Deb, but then again, you always say exactly what i am thinking, just in better words

im just sad, like you said, because he had been playing so well and then what happened yesterday basically came out of nowhere, though now looking backs, its the same thing that has happened at some of the other big losses he has had this year.

i loved seeing his game progress, slowy but surely his back hand, for one, has definintly improved, along with volleying, etc, and the only gaping hole, like we've been talking about before, is his return. now, after a day like yesterday, does that mean we have to worry about all this mental stuff again?
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote